Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
What kind of doctor does he need?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 16 2021, 8:28 pm
My ds fainted this past week. He got up from his bed felt dizzy. He walked down the hall to my room asked me a question and collapsed..bh he got up and seemd fine said he needed to drink. I took him to his pediatrician and they did a covid test, strep test, neuro exam and everything was fine. The next day he tested positive for strep even though he had no symptoms whatsoever.
Not sure if its related to his fainting. Also, this past year every time he fasted by the end of the fast he get the chills and vomits. When he runs same thing happens..I think he has dehydration issues and I want to get him checked..what kind of doctor would I take him to?
Ps he was diagnosed with Gilbert syndrome but I dont know if thats related ( something to do with the liver but the doctor who diagnosed it never said he'd have issues)

dankbar

Post Sat, Jan 16 2021, 8:35 pm
Check for sugar, bp, seizures, circulation, heart, lungs-oxygen.
He should get a full detailed cbc first by his pediatrician & then go from there. Refuah Shleimah!

amother
Navy

Post Sat, Jan 16 2021, 8:38 pm
Look into POTS

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 16 2021, 8:58 pm
dankbar wrote:
Check for sugar, bp, seizures, circulation, heart, lungs-oxygen.
He should get a full detailed cbc first by his pediatrician & then go from there. Refuah Shleimah!

He did a cbc and bp and it came out fine bh...sugar is a good idea..would that be an Endocrinologist? Circulation..he actually has blue hands all the time but doctor said not an issue.

amother
Orchid

Post Sat, Jan 16 2021, 8:59 pm
Don't think he needs a work up _everything you mentioned sounds normal with the faint in
g being caused by ortostasis.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 16 2021, 9:02 pm
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
Look into POTS

Never knew there was a name for that..I used to get extremely light headed when standing up..tg..much better now.

amother
Lavender

Post Sat, Jan 16 2021, 9:04 pm
How old is he,
What is his height and weight

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sat, Jan 16 2021, 9:10 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Ps he was diagnosed with Gilbert syndrome but I dont know if thats related ( something to do with the liver but the doctor who diagnosed it never said he'd have issues)

Dehydration and fasting can make effect the bile production and that can lead to fever, chills, dizziness etc.

ETA - he can see a hepatologist or GI for liver issues.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 16 2021, 9:11 pm
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:
How old is he,
What is his height and weight

He just turned 18 and is 5'11 and 134lbs

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 16 2021, 9:14 pm
amother [ Chartreuse ] wrote:
Dehydration and fasting can make effect the bile production and that can lead to fever, chills, dizziness etc.

So this syndrome can be the cause of his issues.?.the doctor who diagnosed him never told us he would ever have issues with it..very blase about it ..it was a gastroenterologist who found it in blood work she sent him for she never to us to follow up with another doctor..should I?and what kind of doctor?
Oops sorry..just saw your recommendation!
Ty!!

amother
White

Post Sat, Jan 16 2021, 9:17 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So this syndrome can be the cause of his issues.?.the doctor who diagnosed him never told us he would ever have issues with it..very blase about it ..it was a gastroenterologist who found it in blood work she sent him for she never to us to follow up with another doctor..should I?and what kind of doctor?
Ty!!

Call Shuky Berman for a recommendation.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sat, Jan 16 2021, 9:19 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Ty!!

It could be (or it might be something completely different). But it could certainly fit.

Some info

https://www.healthline.com/hea.....drome

amother
Cyan

Post Sat, Jan 16 2021, 9:36 pm
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
Look into POTS

I was going to say this.

Did you try cardiologist?

I was diagnosed with orthostatic hypotension which I don't know if it's the same as POTS. My blood pressure drops when I stand.

Weirdly it's almost non-existent now, because I'm not super skinny anymore

amother
Aqua

Post Sat, Jan 16 2021, 9:44 pm
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
I was going to say this.

Did you try cardiologist?

I was diagnosed with orthostatic hypotension which I don't know if it's the same as POTS. My blood pressure drops when I stand.

Weirdly it's almost non-existent now, because I'm not super skinny anymore

How was it diagnosed?
What type of dr diagnosed it?
Was there any other treatment other than gaining weight?

amother
Salmon

Post Sat, Jan 16 2021, 9:46 pm
amother [ Chartreuse ] wrote:
It could be (or it might be something completely different). But it could certainly fit.

Some info

https://www.healthline.com/hea.....drome

From the article this poster linked it totally seems like it’s due to Gilbert’s!

naomi2

Post Sat, Jan 16 2021, 10:44 pm
I don't know anything about this but maybe get a second opinion about the blue hands. That doesnt seem ok.

bobeli

Post Sat, Jan 16 2021, 10:52 pm
Look in to vasovagl syncop.
https://www.mayoclinic.org/dis.....50527

amother
Mint

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 1:39 am
My husband used to have fainting spells when his bp dropped due not eating/drinking properly or when he changed positions fast. Since he loads up on gatorade if he doesn't have time to eat proper meals, doesn't happen anymore bh.

Blue hands can be a thyroud issue. A heart or circulation issue.

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 6:24 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Ty!!

Was the doctor frum or at least Jewish? A non-Jewish doctor might just not take Jewish fast days into account or know they exist. Most non-Jews in Western countries don't have or know any religious full fasts, and if they do, they don't know it's without drinking as well. With the exception of Muslims.

amother
Bisque

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 7:11 am
Why is the pediatrician not guiding you?
Hss he had an ekg?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children