Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Shabbos erev pesach
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 16 2021, 7:25 pm
I know we have some time but I am getting nervous. Any insights on how this will work? I know the halachos but what does one eat when the shabbos day seuda needs to be first thing in the morning? How do you avoid crumbs and what do you do with the leftover challah? Etc.

Reality

Post Sat, Jan 16 2021, 7:45 pm
We buy a few challah rolls and weather permitting eat them on the porch.

So basically buy very exact and buy the type that doesn't make a lot of crumbs.

ra_mom

Post Sat, Jan 16 2021, 7:45 pm
The house will be ready for pesach with KLP Pesach food for Shabbos Hagadol.
Buy individual Challah rolls to avoid leftovers and eat that part of the meal outside. Any leftovers should be flushed.

yahoo

Post Sat, Jan 16 2021, 7:46 pm
Use pita

miami85

Post Sat, Jan 16 2021, 8:00 pm
Use Egg Matzah

amother
Sapphire

Post Sat, Jan 16 2021, 8:03 pm
We do challah rolls outside and a KLP meal

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 16 2021, 8:17 pm
But.... the day meal has to be done by something like 930 a.m. What do you serve?

amother
Sapphire

Post Sat, Jan 16 2021, 8:17 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
But.... the day meal has to be done by something like 930 a.m. What do you serve?

KLP meal

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 16 2021, 8:19 pm
Yes. I get that. But no one wants chicken or cholent or even fish at 9 a.m. so WHAT?

Elfrida

Post Sat, Jan 16 2021, 8:22 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

You don't have to eat a big meal that early. Wash and have pitot with salad and fish or dips. Wven cheese, if you prefer. Bensch. A few hours later eat a Pesach chulent, or chicken and kugel, or whatever you want for you main meal, making the appropriate Brachos.

Plan for another meal late afternoon so everyone has something to keep them going through the seder.

Last edited by Elfrida on Sat, Jan 16 2021, 8:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

ra_mom

Post Sat, Jan 16 2021, 8:24 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Yes. I get that. But no one wants chicken or cholent or even fish at 9 a.m. so WHAT?

Just the challah gets eaten early. You can eat a proper meal at lunchtime.

amother
Seashell

Post Sat, Jan 16 2021, 8:25 pm
We give each child a napkin to spread out and they eat a roll over the napkin. Sometimes I’ll also put out the fish and one dip. After the challah rolls are eaten each napkin gets rolled up and flushed down the toilet. The plastic tablecloth gets thrown out and floor gets swept, crumbs emptied in toilet.
Fresh tablecloth is put on and the rest of the meal is served without chometz. For this shabbos meal we only use disposable dishes and silverware.
Many poskim hold that you need to brush your teeth with a chometz toothbrush without toothpaste (since it’s shabbos) and then throw the toothbrush out. You can no longer open the cabinets of chometz that were sold which is why the toothbrushes have to get thrown away.
The garbage should be taken out of the house so no chometz is left inside once pesach begins.

Personally I would find it much easier to eat the challah on the porch but it’s always way too cold for that where I live, especially at night in the dark.

Rubber Ducky

Post Sat, Jan 16 2021, 8:32 pm
We take leftover challah and crumbs outside in a foil tray, douse it with bleach, and throw it away. We use disposables for that Shabbos, something we rarely do otherwise.

Ema of 5

Post Sat, Jan 16 2021, 8:37 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I know we have some time but I am getting nervous. Any insights on how this will work? I know the halachos but what does one eat when the shabbos day seuda needs to be first thing in the morning? How do you avoid crumbs and what do you do with the leftover challah? Etc.

In our house, everyone gets their own challa roll, and we wrap the cloth up and wash off in the bathroom after eating the bread, then bring out the rest of the meal on plastic. Leftovers get wrapped and go in the garbage or to the birds.
What do you mean the Seuda needs to be first thing in the morning?

ra_mom

Post Sat, Jan 16 2021, 8:41 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
In our house, everyone gets their own challa roll, and we wrap the cloth up and wash off in the bathroom after eating the bread, then bring out the rest of the meal on plastic. Leftovers get wrapped and go in the garbage or to the birds.
What do you mean the Seuda needs to be first thing in the morning?

The last time to eat chometz on erev pesach/shabbos morning is about 10:06am this year. So you need to make kiddush and wash at 9:30am. But nobody is required to eat lunch then.

Ema of 5

Post Sat, Jan 16 2021, 9:11 pm
ra_mom wrote:
The last time to eat chometz on erev pesach/shabbos morning is about 10:06am this year. So you need to make kiddush and wash at 9:30am. But nobody is required to eat lunch then.

Right, that’s why I was confused. You make kiddush and hamotzi early, and then eat again regular time.
And then you get a good nap because it’s shabbat and everything was already ready for the seder before shabbat.

amother
Sapphire

Post Sat, Jan 16 2021, 9:16 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Just challah early, then take a break and eat later.

amother
Seagreen

Post Sat, Jan 16 2021, 9:17 pm
Maybe not everyone does, but I'm pretty sure we hold you have to eat SOMETHING at each meal.
We do something like, wash and eat Challah (not in the normal eating areas and not on carpet), eat fish, bench. Take a walk. Wash again, eat deli meat, bentch
Then later, eat a kosher lepesach meal.

Last edited by amother on Thu, Feb 04 2021, 9:27 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Pearl

Post Sat, Jan 16 2021, 9:18 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
Right, that’s why I was confused. You make kiddush and hamotzi early, and then eat again regular time.
And then you get a good nap because it’s shabbat and everything was already ready for the seder before shabbat.

Many people hold that since the morning meal is your second Shabbos seudah, it needs meat. Which can be hard.

Also, napping is awesome for the people who have families that allow for it.

elisheva25

Post Sat, Jan 16 2021, 9:38 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Is it really 930?
I thought you have a regular Shabbos lunch meal KLP and wash on pita ?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics