Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Where is lecht in you house?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

Where is lecht in you house?
On the table , chassisish  
 20%  [ 56 ]
On the table , not chassidish  
 7%  [ 19 ]
On the side of the dining room, chassidish  
 12%  [ 34 ]
On the side of the dining room, not chassidish  
 45%  [ 122 ]
Somewhere else, chassidish  
 1%  [ 4 ]
Somewhere else, not chassidish  
 12%  [ 33 ]
Total Votes : 268

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 9:22 pm
nchr wrote:
When and what exactly are you discussing? When you eat you don't talk. When men sing zemiros you don't talk. When children answer their shailas, you don't talk. When someone says a torah, you don't talk. When is there time to talk? Unless your seuda is 4 or 5 hours I'm not understanding. What are you talking about? The children? In front of them? I'm not getting it. Who made what simcha, that's about all I can think of. If I was expected to partake in conversation during the seuda I'd get a terrible headache it would be overwhelming. When I'm by my mother I'm not talking at her seuda just sitting and observing, that's probably more personality, but even if someone is a talker you need to be quiet anyways while eating, mens zemiros, mens torahs etc.

nchr wrote:
No minhag. It's a Shabbos seuda, not much to discuss. At my mother's house that has many married the men can discuss Torah but you wouldn't have my mother conversing with my father across the table. I would find that very odd. What are you going to talk about? I guess people with different personalities see it differently.

I'm so confused. You just sit at your side of the table in dead silence the whole time?!
I sit at the side of the table, not the foot of the table, with one child next to me and one child across, and we shmooze the entire seudah. Otherwise there is never another time that all of us are gathered around the table at the same time; we'd never get to talk.
Of course we don't talk during zemiros or during the boys saying divrei torah. But while you're actually eating, or you're clearing off the table or bringing in a course, everyone is pindrop silent?! There's always some talk going on.
Your house sounds incredibly rigid.

amother
Ecru

Post Fri, Jan 15 2021, 8:35 am
Some ppl have men and women in separate rooms if they have guests just saying.

amother
Scarlet

Post Fri, Jan 15 2021, 8:55 am
I grew up in a house with little to no talking at the shabbos table.
Torture doesn’t begin to describe what that does to a little child...

amother
Scarlet

Post Fri, Jan 15 2021, 10:01 am
Mama Bear wrote:
I'm so confused. You just sit at your side of the table in dead silence the whole time?!
I sit at the side of the table, not the foot of the table, with one child next to me and one child across, and we shmooze the entire seudah. Otherwise there is never another time that all of us are gathered around the table at the same time; we'd never get to talk.
Of course we don't talk during zemiros or during the boys saying divrei torah. But while you're actually eating, or you're clearing off the table or bringing in a course, everyone is pindrop silent?! There's always some talk going on.
Your house sounds incredibly rigid.

This.
Can you see that this is not ideal?

chaya007

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 1:04 am
My candles are on top of a “dresser” ( I forget the right term to describe this piece of furniture) that stands next to our Shabbos table. We store all of the things that we need to set the table and to serve the food.
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics