Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Mattel in hebrew?
Previous  1  2

Rappel

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 12:03 am
There is a hebrew name מיטל Meital which is very beautiful and popular. It literally means "waters of dew," meaning the gentle revival concept of dew which we have in the Torah.

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 12:11 am
I’ve heard of Devora Mattel, Yehudis Mattel, Shaindel Mattel

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 12:45 am
My sister is Chana Matel. Always spelled it with one t and mem tes lamet in hebrew. It’s a Yiddish name perhaps from Matilda or a feminine version of Mottel or derived from the pet name ‘maidel’
Agree it’s gotten more popular recently. We have Chana Matel’s among the cousins and there is a big family in the neighborhood with lots of Sara Matel cousins named after a common grandmother.

etky

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 1:11 am
Since the meaning seem to be unclear (it's not Hebrew), I also think that going the phonological route would be a good option, unless you really want to stick to the original name.
I agree with others that Meital is a beautiful name. It's popular but not over-used and it's really so close to Mattel.
Chamutal is nice too (and biblical) and also has the M and tal in it.
Or maybe one of the other 'tal' names, as a first or second name (maybe after a name that begins with M):
Tal/Tali/Talya/Avital/Ortal/Revital/Tal-or

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 9:03 am
I know a Hindel Matel. Everybody calls her Matel.

amother
Copper

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 9:20 am
My name is Matty/Mattel. Spelled Mem tes lamad

I also have a second name but I am called Matty.
Growing up in my highschool of over 1k kids, there were all of 3 Mattys. One of them my cousin named after the same grandma. She had 2 other names. ____ mattel _______ but was called matty. And one more kid.

I love my name. As an adult, at work, I was once speakinflg to a vendor who I had been emailing with for months. The guys name was Matt. He had a HUGE shock when he realized I was Female!! LOL LOL LOL Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 9:57 am
Wow! Thanks for all the responses. I am still undecided (but have time bh). U dont know any mattys in my circles. I have one second cousin who calls her kid matty but that's it. Dh doesn't really like the name but is willing to name it with an add on as he knows I really want yo make after her. In all honesty though, iyh everything should go well, I never knew what I was naming my kids till the day before I named them. (And with my last son, his bris was at 2 months and I didnt have a full name till the day before.... Lol)

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 5:50 am
This is a thread I started years ago re my grandmother who's hebrew name is Matla

https://www.imamother.com/foru.....09745

She always told us her hebrew name is Myrtle so we always presumed it must be Hadassa until I found her kesuba!

So maybe Hadassa (or Esther) would work.

(Her English name that she is called has no connection to her hebrew name)

Bshaar Tova !

LovesHashem

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 6:10 am
Can you use it as a second name and have people call her by her first name?

Myrtle also means Hadas not Hadassah.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 7:49 am
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:
This is a thread I started years ago re my grandmother who's hebrew name is Matla

https://www.imamother.com/foru.....09745

She always told us her hebrew name is Myrtle so we always presumed it must be Hadassa until I found her kesuba!

So maybe Hadassa (or Esther) would work.

(Her English name that she is called has no connection to her hebrew name)

Bshaar Tova !

Her full name is one of those. I can't use any of those though.

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 8:10 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Her full name is one of those. I can't use any of those though.

Oh that's so interesting, so maybe there is a connection with those names, thanks!

Sorry I don't have other suggestions at mo, but I do know someone Mattel called Mattie and she also has many cousins called Mattie and Mattelle. But all they know is that its a Yiddish family name with no particular meaning.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names