Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
Mostarda Chicken Thighs (Sheet Pan)

Amarante

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 7:50 am
This was very good and sheet pan recipes are one of my favorite types of cooking because they simplify everything. This doesn't have as many veggies as some do but the combination of flavors was scrumptious. I do like fennel and have used it successfully in a fish soup instead of celery for a distinctive flavor.

I don't know what they mean by "thighs" because at least among my fressing crowd, one thigh would not be sufficient for a meal. Now if they mean the large chicken pieces my mother used to make, that would be different. As I recall she called them "pulkas" but at least where I am, chicken thighs are rather small and not adequate for a normal adult - maybe for a small child. Very Happy

Mostarda Chicken Thighs With Apricots, Fennel, and Honey

Excerpt From: Cathy Erway - Sheet Pan Chicken

Dried apricots deserve your respect. Soft and squishy, sweet and wrinkly, they are the best kind of dried fruit, and their virtues have been exploited in many sauces around the world, from Chinese American duck sauce to Moroccan tagines with lamb to the tangy condiment mostarda. Mostarda, with roots in the northern Italian region of Emilia-Romagna, comes in many forms and might be confused for just mustard—but mustard it is not. Commonly prepared as a sort of jam or chutney of dried fruits cooked in mustard and vinegar and studded with vibrant orange dried apricots, it is often served with a cheese board. (The Basque restaurant that catered my wedding served mostarda, and I couldn’t get enough of it.) I’ve built in a jammy sort-of-mostarda toward the end of cooking this chicken and fennel. The distinct anise and mint flavors marry with the crisped chicken and its plentiful juices, while the apricots and vinegar make for the perfect balance of savory and sweet.

Serves 4 to 6

6 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
2 to 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1½ teaspoons salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
Pinch of cayenne pepper
1 large fennel bulb
1 small red onion or shallot, thinly sliced
10 dried apricots, thinly sliced
½ cup white wine vinegar
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon whole-grain mustard
¼ cup fresh mint leaves, torn or coarsely chopped (optional)

Preheat the oven to 450°F.

Drizzle the chicken with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and season with 1 teaspoon of the salt, ¼ teaspoon of the black pepper, and the cayenne. Arrange the chicken around the edges of a sheet pan.

Trim the stalks and fronds from the fennel bulb; coarsely chop about ¼ cup of fresh-looking fronds and set aside for garnish. (Save any fennel stalks and extra fronds for making stock another time.) Halve the fennel bulb crosswise and slice it into thin half rings about ¼ inch thick. Toss the fennel in the center of the sheet pan with the remaining 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon black pepper. Roast for 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, combine the onion, apricots, vinegar, honey, and mustard in a medium bowl and mix well. Pour the apricot mixture all over the fennel. Roast for another 15 to 20 minutes, until the chicken skin is nicely browned and a kitchen thermometer inserted into the thickest part of a thigh registers 160°F.

Garnish with the fennel fronds and mint leaves, if desired, and serve.

mum22

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 7:54 am
Sounds so good!
I wish I shared your taste.
Enjoy 😋
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey