Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Salads & Dips
Sweet-and-Sour Apricot Sauce aka Duck Sauce

Amarante

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 10:53 am
This is a very good version of "Duck Sauce" - LOL I put it here since I used it to dip cold chicken.

Edited to add that I used a stick blender to puree. I always use a stick blender as it is much easier than transferring to blender or food processor which then has to be cleaned. My stick blender fits into the drawer with spatulas etc. so is very handy to use. Mine came with a bunch of other attachments which I thought would be handy. If you don't have a mini-food processor then it would be handy but I have the Cuisinart mini food processor which is another fabulous inexpensive appliance. It doesn't take up much counter space but is so convenient for processing small quantities of aromatics like ginger/garlic for a stir fry or for combining dressings and salads when a large food processor is overkill.

Sweet-and-Sour Apricot Sauce

Excerpt From: Mike Isabella - Mike Isabella's Crazy Good Italian

MAKES APPROXIMATELY ½ CUP

ACTIVE TIME = 45–50 MINUTES

6 dried, pitted apricots
¾ cup orange juice
2 teaspoons sugar
1 tablespoon champagne vinegar
½ teaspoon finely diced fresh ginger
¼ teaspoon kosher salt

1. Soak the apricots in hot water for 10 minutes. Strain and chop into ¼-inch pieces.

2. In a small saucepan, combine the apricots and all remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.

3. Remove the sauce from the heat and let cool for 10 minutes. Transfer the mixture to a blender or food processor and blend on high speed for 1–2 minutes, until it becomes a smooth purée.

Last edited by Amarante on Mon, Jan 18 2021, 11:22 am; edited 1 time in total

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 10:56 am
Thank you so much for this!!! I've been looking all over for a substitute I can make myself.

Amarante

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 10:58 am
Thisisnotmyreal wrote:
Thank you so much for this!!! I've been looking all over for a substitute I can make myself.

I thought it was better than the jarred stuff - the first ingredient for that is sugar. Here the sweetness comes from the apricots and orange juice with only a teensy bit of sugar and the ginger added a great piquancy.

simcha2

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 11:18 am
Amarante wrote:
I thought it was better than the jarred stuff - the first ingredient for that is sugar. Here the sweetness comes from the apricots and orange juice with only a teensy bit of sugar and the ginger added a great piquancy.

Do you think any vinegar? (Because who has champagne vinegar?)

mochamix18

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 11:49 am
simcha2 wrote:
Do you think any vinegar? (Because who has champagne vinegar?)

Wondering the same. Other than that what a wonderful recipe. Can’t wait to try it.

Amarante

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 11:17 am
I do stock a variety of vinegars but not champagne vinegar. My staples are rice wine, sherry vinegar, balsamic vinegar, apple cider vinegar, white wine vinegar and pomegranate vinegar. LOL

I googled and based on recommendations, I subbed white wine vinegar but not the terrible cooking vinegar

Other recommendation was rice wine vinegar but not that flavored kind. Apple cider vinegar would be less good as a sub but better than other types of vinegars. Other vinegars might impart more of a flavor since champagne vinegar is mild as well as colorless so balsamic vinegar wouldn't work nor would red wine vinegar.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 11:36 am
White vinegar should work for for this amount and this recipe.

Amarante

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 11:42 am
ra_mom wrote:
White vinegar should work for for this amount and this recipe.

If you mean white vinegar, in my opinion it is too harsh. I don't use it for anything other than cleaning. Very Happy

chanchy123

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 8:56 am
Would this go well to make chicken in? It sounds delicious and I bought apricots for this recipe, but then realized I’m not sure what to use this.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics