Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Would you let your teen watch "One Tree Hill"?

Mevater

Post Sun, Feb 03 2008, 5:12 pm
Is it Kosher-(It'a DVD)?

How do you decide which books and videos are acceptable for your teen?

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Feb 03 2008, 5:55 pm
go to www.tv.com and read through the synopses of every episode that's on this dvd. I'm sure there's som ekissing on it, since every tv show has kissing.

cassandra

Post Sun, Feb 03 2008, 6:10 pm
I would not, unless you are comfortable with your child being exposed to things like premarital s-x, teen pregnancy, and drug use.

greenfire

Post Sun, Feb 03 2008, 6:18 pm
and switching partners every other episode ... too bad the whole world is corrupt and not just the tv ...

Mevater

Post Sun, Feb 03 2008, 6:41 pm
cassandra wrote:
I would not, unless you are comfortable with your child being exposed to things like premarital s-x, teen pregnancy, and drug use.
How would I know which DVD's ARE acceptable (no premarital s-x, teen pregnancy/drugs) or do no such DVD's exist?

cassandra

Post Sun, Feb 03 2008, 6:45 pm
There are websites that Christian parenting groups put out to rate movies based on how appropriate they are (the names elude me at the moment, but google it and many will come up.) They go into great detail-- they enumerate every single questionable thing. They might have such a thing for tv shows also.

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Feb 03 2008, 7:19 pm
mevater, , you'll be hard pressed to find a TV show that's 1000% clean. Such a thing just doesnt exist - except for a more childrens'; show, like The Suite Life of Zack & Cody - which I really recomment - or soething like hannah montana maybe? There are movies that are more clean like the parent trap and others. you really need to research any dvd before you rent it.

Mevater

Post Sun, Feb 03 2008, 7:22 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
you'll be hard pressed to find a TV show that's 1000% clean. Such a thing just doesnt exist - except for a more childrens'; show, like The Suite Life of Zack & Cody - which I really recomment - or soething like hannah montana maybe? There are movies that are more clean like the parent trap and others. you really need to research any dvd before you rent it.
Is there a website or something where I can check on each DVD?

red sea

Post Sun, Feb 03 2008, 8:19 pm
Quote:
Mama Bear wrote:
you'll be hard pressed to find a TV show that's 1000% clean. Such a thing just doesnt exist - except for a more childrens'; show, like The Suite Life of Zack & Cody - which I really recomment - or soething like hannah montana maybe? There are movies that are more clean like the parent trap and others. you really need to research any dvd before you rent it.
Is there a website or something where I can check on each DVD?

Someone here once recomended this site to check on dvd's its really good;

screenit.com

Mevater

Post Sun, Feb 03 2008, 8:54 pm
red sea wrote:

Someone here once recomended this site to check on dvd's its really good;

screenit.com

I see it costs money. You have any idea how much?

cassandra

Post Sun, Feb 03 2008, 9:20 pm
try parentpreviews.com

sho770

Post Mon, Feb 04 2008, 4:16 am
Well, the dvds from National Geographic arent´bad, usually - except for some passages you should go forward to the next episode, when they show animal intimacy which we´re not allowed to watch.

About movies...
Child movies are usually good - like Ice Age (well, it´s a picture movie, not a real movie).
Charlie Chaplin´s movies such as The Kid / Modern Times are good.
Then there are classics such as Lassie / Black Beauty / Herbie (the white car with the number 22 which rides "by itself, you know?)...
In French we have also the films with the dog Benji, but I don´t know if they´re on video.
Then there´s also the big classic Rabbi Jacob (with Louis de Funes) / La grande vadrouille (Bouvril/Louis de Funes) - again, I don´t know if it exists in english.

As a kid, we weren´t frum yet but we had only a one - channel black and white tv and my mother was very strict about the amount of time we would watch and what.
So it would go from The Smurfs to the Muppet show (well, that´s for small kids), and later on the news - but we had to repeat afterwards what we remembered, so as not to sit there just to avoid going to bed, hum).

Go for the funny but not vulgar and preferably not with teenagers, so more the family circle. There used to be french tv shows but they didn´ßt last long, unfortunately humor and decency doesnt´seem to suffice.

Anyway, the best thing is... BOOKS.
Wheter you read on your own (though nowadays you should also control what your kids are going to read) or whether you read it for your kids, one chapter or short story at a time. It makes a wonderful quality time the kids won´t forget, and you neither.
I still remember my father reading to my brother and me a book where each story had as title a french expression, difficult to understand. So the story helped to get a clearer idea, and since it was too difficult to read on our own, that way it was real fun. And we could at the same time ask for the words we didn´t understand. Very good for vocabulary.

Then of course there are the games you can play together, such as Monopoly, scrabble, Stratego and... chess.
Perfect quality time for rainy days...

hila

Post Mon, Feb 04 2008, 5:03 am
try www.kids-in-mind.com
It rates movies for s-x voilence and bad language on a scale of one to ten

myfriends715

Post Mon, Feb 04 2008, 8:18 am
one tree hill is a real teen show but it is a dirty one and not one that I would allow a child who I am trying to shelter(at least a little) to see.. but I used to watch it b4 I got married and dont have tv now.. and it is a pretty good show!

momtomany

Post Sun, Feb 17 2008, 11:24 am
screenit does not cost money for the basics. you only pay for premium service.
you just click on the links at the top or on no thanks at the bottom, and go directly to what you want. I've been using it for years and never paid a cent. I've found it to be very good at giving details about what could be objectionable in different categories including drug use, alchohol smoking bad language, disresepectful attitudes, and violence, and obviously s-x and nudity.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children