Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Hospital not treating Covid- correct thing to do?
Previous  1  2

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 1:43 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
This.

There is apparently something going on that you're not aware of.

Does someone in your family have a medical POA, so that you can get more complete answers as to whether he is actually receiving hospice care (and why), and what other treatments he might be able to receive if he were not in hospice. Please understand that there is a limited supply of certain treatments, so not everyone receives it.

He actually doesn’t have a POA. Never appointed anyone. I am his emergency contact and he informed the hospital that they are allowed to tell me everything about his care.
I was told that he is receiving hospice just because his insurance would cover care there.
That’s why I want to talk to someone who is knowledgeable in this because something doesn’t add up.

elsily

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 1:49 pm
He should probably be on oxygen for an O2 sat of 90.

amother
Gray

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 1:50 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
He actually doesn’t have a POA. Never appointed anyone. I am his emergency contact and he informed the hospital that they are allowed to tell me everything about his care.
I was told that he is receiving hospice just because his insurance would cover care there.
That’s why I want to talk to someone who is knowledgeable in this because something doesn’t add up.

So there's your answer. He is receiving hospice care. That means the care is solely focused on comfort, and not on illnesses. If you want a different course for him, he needs to be removed from hospice care. Others on this thread have suggested very good resources for you. Reach out to them and they'll guide you. Wishing you much hatzlacha!

SixOfWands

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 1:54 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Since you have the right to speak to doctors, demand to do so.

Its lovely that his insurance covers hospice there, but the question is why he's receiving hospice at all.

Some doctor recommended it. He agreed to it. Maybe it was a mistake. Maybe he didn't understand what hospice means. Or maybe its indicated. But there IS an answer, and you should know it.

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 2:16 pm
is he receiving hospice or palliative care? It makes a tremendous difference. With hospice care, he will only receive comfort care, whereas with palliative care he is eligible for treatment too.

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 2:31 pm
Op pleas listen to these posters and call askanim right away. Call all the resources listed in this thread. It seems to me that If he getting hospice care, THE HOSPITAL CAN LEGALLY WATCH AS HE DIES. Even if he came for a small infection. Even if they have enough staff and covid treatments such as antibodies they LIKELY WONT TREAT HIM FOR COVID. You must fight for him, op.
This post is very sad to me Sad

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 2:36 pm
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
is he receiving hospice or palliative care? It makes a tremendous difference. With hospice care, he will only receive comfort care, whereas with palliative care he is eligible for treatment too.

He is getting hospice care. I keep asking why he is getting hospice and I never get a clear answer and they’re always telling me to ask another department I’m getting the runaround and it is extremely frustrating.
They said the reason why he is there is because of his insurance and because of Covid now they are taking patients like him .

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 2:52 pm
Insurance does not force you to be on hospice care. You need to find a way to get him off hospice. Best would be to get in contact v with one of the medical referral agencies to help direct you. Another good resource is Chayim Aruchim - that's the division at the Agudah that deals with end of life issues. They should be able to help direct you how to transfer him out of hospice care.

Please don't wait too long as they are not treating him currently and you don't want to wait for his medical condition to get worse. All these organizations are open 24/7.

Hatzlocha!

amother
Pink

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 3:02 pm
Definitely call Chaim Medical and hit the option for emergencies as its Sunday. They are truly helpful! Hatzlach!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics