Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
My four year old is impossible
Previous  1  2

Rappel

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 4:08 pm
Wait, we can cure this with therapy? I thought that's what all bored 4 year old boys do. LOL

In all seriousness: OP, he sounds super challenging. I have a Curious George too, and I'm wiped after just a few hours of going through our day together!

What happens if you're camp-counselor level on him the entire day? Does he respond differently? Can you set rules about when you're "on" and "off," so you can recharge and keep going? When you're off duty, can he sit on his bed and look at books/play with trucks? Does he have siblings or neighbors whom are close to his age?

hodeez

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 4:24 pm
💯 get him evaluated. If he's diagnosed, ABA will change his life and yours dramatically.

Just One

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 4:46 pm
That sounds like my son at 3-4. The amount of havoc, chaos and danger he created in our fully toddler- proof, child-proof house was impossible (don't forget a four year old isn't a two year old. They are smarter and stronger and can outsmart most baby locks). I would go to sleep in tears many nights. This wasn't my first, nor last, child and though it's to be expected that a four year old will be energetic, curious, adventurous and sometimes disobedient, what we went through, and what OP is describing is not the norm.
OP have you read up on sensory processing disorders? I found that being cognizant of his sensory needs and making sure to fulfill his sensory diet daily calmed things down considerably. That meant looong baths (with FEMA reinforcements for flood control), lots of outdoor play even in really cold weather (he would be the only child swinging away in the frozen neighborhood playground, well bundled up), lots of jumping, twisting, spinning, squeezing games (billibo, lining up all chairs and having him squeeze through the tunnel underneath, rolling him up very tightly in a blanket and letting him untangle himself) anything that allowed him to get the sensory input he craved.
He's now almost six. Bh he's doing great. He still has his meltdowns but over all he's a well adjusted, well liked, mature little boy.
OT can definitely help work on his sensory issues and give you some pointers.
Also, is your son at school, and how are the teachers finding him? Based on that, you can often see whether it's a broader issue that needs a serious evaluation and diagnosis.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers