Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Wearing pants in the operating room

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 16 2021, 8:55 pm
Anybody know anything about wearing pants scrubs in the OR or on OBGYN rotation?

amother
Red

Post Sat, Jan 16 2021, 8:59 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Anybody know anything about wearing pants scrubs in the OR or on OBGYN rotation?

Lots of frum women do
They often don't have a choice.
Some wear a extra long scrub shirt.
Some wear a scrub skirt on top

amother
Lime

Post Sat, Jan 16 2021, 9:01 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

AYLOR.
I know a frum doctor who asked and was told it's ok.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sat, Jan 16 2021, 9:05 pm
Ask your rav. Personally, I have to. Not allowed to do my job without scrub pants. Can’t wear something else in the OR.

amother
Mustard

Post Sat, Jan 16 2021, 9:24 pm
I lovvvvve scrubs. Pjs all day, baby.

southernbubby

Post Sat, Jan 16 2021, 9:25 pm
I know several people who asked a Rav and were told that it was ok but you should really ask for yourself.

causemommysaid

Post Sat, Jan 16 2021, 9:35 pm
It depends on your job I think.

Some doctors and nurses work in departments that arent very manual so a skirt can work.

Some work in departments where they are literally on top of their patients doing chest compressions and lifting patients to help them etc. Not very practical in a skirt as it can be restricting and if its flary, the material can get snagged on things so not safe.

amother
Lilac

Post Sat, Jan 16 2021, 9:42 pm
AYLOR
I think your question is primarily based on which sect you are affiliated with.

Personally, during my rotation, only in the operating suite and area I was able to wear pants according to my Rav. If I was rounding on the floor or after completed a surgery and not in the surgery section, skirt was over my pants.
TBH, my DH understandably wasn't exactly excited about me walking around in pants and I didn't feel comfortable with it either.
Thats part of the reason why I avoided finding a position that was involved in surgery, although I somewhat enjoy it.

BY Regular litvish to give you some background.

amother
Hotpink

Post Sat, Jan 16 2021, 11:11 pm
So funny bec I'm on rotations too, and literally had this question a couple of months ago for my ob rotation. My Rav only have heter after I told him that they really wouldn't let me wear a skirt. Most of the ppl in my or were female, besides for the occasional male anesthesiologist and FOB bec all the obs and nurses were female. Also, when you scrub in you're gowing up and that covers past knees.
So I wore a scrub skirt, took off in OR suite, immediately scrubbed in. Most of the time not even seen by a male. I did wear a she'll under my scrub top, which I needed to roll up past elbow.
Enjoy ur rotation! Personally, assisting in c sections and d and cs was my least favorite part...

amother
Apricot

Post Sat, Jan 16 2021, 11:13 pm
I used to use a frum womens OB group and they wore pants scrubs in the hospital.

zaq

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 4:50 pm
Let me put it to you this way: If you're getting medical care and your provider, be she Chief of Surgery or a candy-striper, needs to bend or stretch to give you the care you need, you want her to be able to do so with a full heart and both hands, not with one hand behind her tugging her skirt down. Capisce?

westchestermom

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 5:24 pm
I'm an OR nurse and many of my female colleagues wear the disposable sterile gowns even when not scrubbing over the pants because the OR is cold. You wouldn't stand out at all. As a manager I have had to stop people from wearing long sleeves under scrubs and I offer them disposable gowns or jackets.

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 5:55 pm
You need to ayolr
I wear scrubs in or.
In the or you are req to wear hospital issue scrubs so u really can't wear ur own skirt.
A bigger shayla (assuming u aren't wearing tight scrub pants) is can ur elbows be uncovered which they need to be until you are scrubbed and gowned. (Again if u size up ur scrubs you should likely be within a tefach so it's not so bad.)
Once you are scrubbed u gown up so are essentially in a giant long sleeve dress/robe.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics