Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Need to fire someone :(

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 9:25 am
I work for a large company in a professional job. One of my employees needs to be fired because she still cannot do her job the way she is supposed to. She does not follow directions either. She has been on a performance plan/written warning (was on one a couple years ago too) for 4 months and has not gotten her act together. She drains time from me and my team as we train her, but then she does not follow what we trained her on leading to errors and delays that we have to clean up. By now she should anyway be able to figure out on her own a lot of the stuff we train her on. On top of this she has run afoul of my boss who has said enough is enough. I know this to be true and have no argument back. Boss only allowed it to take this long because I was involved with other projects and not so involved w my team the first three months of probation.

I'm so sad. She is a nice person and has some personal issues so this will be a big big problem for her. It's for cause so there is no severance, she just gets her remaining vacation time paid out. I won't be able to comfort her as we are still remote. HR comes on the phone with me and ends it and then shuts off the computer. It really sounds terrible.
I've never done this before. Most people in her situation would have looked for a new job before this happened.

This is just a sad vent.

gibberish

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 9:29 am
No suggestions, but on the bright side, unemployment is at an extra $300 a week now. Maybe help her by allowing her to claim it's pandemic related so she can get the extra money?

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 9:34 am
I have to fire someone next week too. And it is sad. He can’t get his work done in the number of full time hours while most in his position can get work done in the hours.
It will be sad for him since I know he has had issues in his life.

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 9:35 am
I am in the same situation except that I am the employee and I haven’t been put on probation yet. First of all I am in therapy to figure out what is going wrong at my job. It’s possible that in my case there has been a huge lack of communication and lack of feedback for a long time. Second, what kind of company doesn’t give severance? Also please make sure to tell her about filing for unemployment ... also it would be really disgusting if your company wouldn’t agree to paying unemployment because I’m pretty sure it’s the law even if someone is fired for cause. So with the 500 unemployment plus Covid extras it should soften the blow. Third, you should not be personally comforting her and going against what the company decided. You don’t need to be mean - just say something like this wasn’t the right fit and I am sure that you will find something else that is a better fit. Lastly, did you make it clear to her that she should be looking for another job? If someone told me to look for another job I would. Unless maybe she is okay with just collecting unemployment now in her stage of life due to her personal problems. One more thing - if you ever run into her years down the line, just be friendly and nice. I’ve had to fire people and later on we have developed nice cordial relationships - she just wasn’t a good fit for you. Also when I had a mean boss many years ago, I think it was a kitrug against her in Shamayim and I worked on forgiving her before Yom Kippur. You don’t want to have that “negative vector” against you.

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 9:43 am
My boss recently fired someone. He wasn't a team player and didn't perform.

I recently heard that he found a new job pretty fast. His new job offers benefits, something my company does not. Hopefully he learned something so that his new job works out.

amother
Red

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 10:17 am
was fired at a job close to 17 years ago. Thinking about it now still gives me a "tzip". please please be very gentle about it and let her know about filing for unemployment. wish I wouldve. I had no clue about doing so. Didnt find a new job until approx 2 months later...

number

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 10:51 am
Yikes a lot of ignorance in this thread. Sorry op that you’re in this position. As for the posters above, unemployment is HR’s purview and it really isn’t op’s place to get involved, regardless of her feelings on the matter.

amother
Red

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 11:01 am
number wrote:
Yikes a lot of ignorance in this thread. Sorry op that you’re in this position. As for the posters above, unemployment is HR’s purview and it really isn’t op’s place to get involved, regardless of her feelings on the matter.

so whose perogative is it in a case like mine to give them the courtesty headsup to file for unemployment? doubt there was a HR department... still pretty upset

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 11:09 am
I work in an office, where there is one person who is really not cut out for her job. She's with her company for 4 years and still can't do the basics. My boss keeps on going back and forth if she should fire her or not. She's a nice person so I feel bad but you should have quit like 2 years ago realizing she can't do anything she's supposed to do. Her job responsibilities now are basically zilch. I think my boss is keeping her on more like tzedaka bit its so hard to work with her.
In a way I wish I can just fire her bit its not my job to. Can't Believe It

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 12:42 pm
That’s a dysfunctional situation. Why doesn’t the worker feel bad that she has no job responsibilities? Does she feel bad? Is there a way that she can be reassigned to do something else? What happens at her performance reviews? Why wasn’t this addressed? I guess out of mentchlichkeit the boss is likely just waiting for a general layoff event and will include her. But think of all the frustration on everyone’s part the whole time! Like if I have a cleaning lady that does some things well, and other things poorly, then I just give her the things she can do well. Same with a babysitter, a tutor, all the people I use. Maybe with a full time job there is too much at stake (a livelihood) so people dance around the problems. I’m just talking it out for myself because I want to work on my own issues.

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 1:39 pm
I have a coworker I wish they would fire because their lack of work ethic, efficiency and communication really affects my job and my efficiency. Like this person has not responded to a single email I have sent them. They dont do the job well either. But for some reason this person wont get fired or reprimanded. This isnt a specialized job... think office manager that doesn't reply to emails, isnt organized, isnt doing their responsibilities... Banging head

I dont want anyone to lose a job in this economy. But this employee gives me headaches and is so frustrating that they cant do their simple job!! (And I will likely be asked to help them out when I have enough work on my own...

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 3:37 pm
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
That’s a dysfunctional situation. Why doesn’t the worker feel bad that she has no job responsibilities? Does she feel bad? Is there a way that she can be reassigned to do something else? What happens at her performance reviews? Why wasn’t this addressed? I guess out of mentchlichkeit the boss is likely just waiting for a general layoff event and will include her. But think of all the frustration on everyone’s part the whole time! Like if I have a cleaning lady that does some things well, and other things poorly, then I just give her the things she can do well. Same with a babysitter, a tutor, all the people I use. Maybe with a full time job there is too much at stake (a livelihood) so people dance around the problems. I’m just talking it out for myself because I want to work on my own issues.

They have been moving her around from job to job within the office. They basically took away almost everything she had to do. At this point her job consists of ordering supplies, and managing the calendar, and she can't do those even. She doesn't know the basics of computers, she'll ask me for a password to a program tell me 10 times it doesn't work, only to go to her computer to find out she's in the completely wrong program.
(These are programs that are used daily)
Or she was supposed to make an appointment between a company and a couple people in our office, she went back and forth about 40 times with them, we look like complete idiots. She makes an appointment then when nobody's in who has to be there.
Another example, she asked me last week how she supposed to keep track of supplies....it's only been her job to order supplies for the past four years.
I had her help me with her projects I needed to do, very basic like putting together booklets, I have to do about 90% of them again. these are booklets that are done monthly She's seen them thousands and thousands of times. And the mess-ups were things that she should have known about, like putting letters for two people within the same booklet, be finding other people's printed papers in the booklets I was sending out. In general very sloppy work.
The boss is a relative of mine then I have told them countless times that she has to go. I think they're getting the point finally but it's super frustrating to work with someone who can't do anything.

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 6:18 pm
gibberish wrote:
No suggestions, but on the bright side, unemployment is at an extra $300 a week now. Maybe help her by allowing her to claim it's pandemic related so she can get the extra money?

That would be fraud.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics