Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Why has airline travel always been allowed?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 1:42 pm
Does anyone have any thoughts on this? From the very beginning airlines have been allowed to fly. I'm sure the overwhelming percentage of people flying are not doing so for essential reasons. Considering all the businesses that have been forced to close, business travel should not be essential. What's more is that it's pretty difficult to socially distance on the plane.

Why was this ever allowed? If a state doesn't allow indoor dining, how could they justify allowing airline travel?

amother
Firebrick

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 1:51 pm
Agreed, but the airlines are a powerful political lobby.

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 1:54 pm
I think they should have had a list of approved essential reasons for travel, and only allowed those traveling for any of those reasons.

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 2:00 pm
Because we have lousy stupid leaders

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 2:06 pm
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
Because we have lousy stupid leaders

If you think Biden will change anything then think again. All he said was that he will require a mask when traveling interstate but masks are already required on airplanes, buses and trains so nothing changes.

smss

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 2:07 pm
1) the reasons are definitely more economical and political than scientific
2) HEPA filters plus masks (pref leaving middle seats empty) lowers risk to an extent

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 2:11 pm
amother [ cornflower ] wrote:
If you think Biden will change anything then think again. All he said was that he will require a mask when traveling interstate but masks are already required on airplanes, buses and trains so nothing changes.

Lol Biden will change it for the worse ...

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 2:11 pm
No nation can keep its own citizens from returning home. Some countries have handled this dilemma better than others - quarantine hotels, etc.

As far as internal travel in the US, the federal government regulates interstate travel. Their entire handling of the pandemic has been a disaster.

If the government cracks down with lockdowns and travel bans, people are horrified at the way government is grabbing power and abusing its citizenry. If they leave travel open to enable those who really need to get places to do so, people take advantage.

I can't wrap my head around why people are traveling for vacation purposes. Even if they've already had the virus and are confident they won't catch it again, or if they don't care if they themselves get sick, they're contributing towards spread. Maybe they just don't care who dies.

I am constantly amazed at the brazen advertisements in our publications about various kosher vacation packages.

If there's one thing we learned in this pandemic, it's that people can not be relied upon to behave responsibly.

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 2:22 pm
If the government completed outlawed travel for non-essential reasons, no airlines would fly any planes because they aren't going to fly a 200 seat plane for the 10 passengers who have an essential reason. Then those 10 passengers wouldn't be able to get where they really needed to go. For instance, if someone from California needed to go to NY for an emergency surgery, there wouldn't be any flights because it wouldn't make an economic sense for the airlines to fly planes for that one person. Additionally, airlines aren't businesses in the same sense your local restaurant is. If you let the restaurant go out of business, it's definitely a tragedy for the business owner and I'm not minimizing it, but likely another restuarant will open in its place relatively quickly. If you let 2 or 3 of the major airlines go out of business, there's no other magical business that is going to take its place so quickly because airlines require a gigantic amount of capital and regulatory hurdles to open. So if let say United and AA went out of business, when the pandemic is over you would be left with much fewer flight paths daily and that would majorly drive up the price of travel and there wouldn't be an easy solution. I assume the government leaders did some type of risk-benefit calculation and decided it was better to allow some amount of recreational travel so that the essential people will also have flights and so the airlines won't go out of business.

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 3:07 pm
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:
No nation can keep its own citizens from returning home. Some countries have handled this dilemma better than others - quarantine hotels, etc.

As far as internal travel in the US, the federal government regulates interstate travel. Their entire handling of the pandemic has been a disaster.

If the government cracks down with lockdowns and travel bans, people are horrified at the way government is grabbing power and abusing its citizenry. If they leave travel open to enable those who really need to get places to do so, people take advantage.

I can't wrap my head around why people are traveling for vacation purposes. Even if they've already had the virus and are confident they won't catch it again, or if they don't care if they themselves get sick, they're contributing towards spread. Maybe they just don't care who dies.

I am constantly amazed at the brazen advertisements in our publications about various kosher vacation packages.

If there's one thing we learned in this pandemic, it's that people can not be relied upon to behave responsibly.

Or that you cannot declare a state of emergency and lots and lots of rules for a very long time and expect compliance!!!!!!!!!

A state of emergency is for a week. A month. 6 weeks. Beyond that, it’s no longer an emergency, and people cannot be expected to close their livelihoods and stay away from places they feel the need/desire to go to. There’s no way to enforce long-term compliance other than with the military. The end.

trixx

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 4:01 pm
Because it was never about your health.

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 4:43 pm
The airlines sued. They are more powerful then the government in this case.

SixOfWands

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 5:41 pm
The US has never adopted a national covid policy. Because airlines are subject to federal regulation, and the feds haven't regulated, airline traffic has never been halted.

Should it have been is a different question.

At the very least, a national program requiring testing prior to flying, masks and some modicum of social distancing on all flights, and mandatory quarantine upon arrival would have been helpful.

SixOfWands

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 5:43 pm
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:
The airlines sued. They are more powerful then the government in this case.

Source?

Frumwithallergies

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 6:03 pm
I ask myself that same question about once per day!

HonesttoGod

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 5:42 pm
They are still flying because people are still booking tickets. If people would stop spreading their germs in all the wonderful ways, planes would be empty.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics