Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
ABA therapy for selective mutism?
Previous  1  2

#BestBubby

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 10:33 pm
amother [ Bisque ] wrote:
Obviously one must learn to behave in public. But ABA teaches them behaviors are never acceptable. Kids with ASD rock and hum and do these things to process information, to feel safe, for many reasons. It's how their brain works. Taking that away from them is a abusive horrible thing to do.

There's other ways of teaching kids appropriate bahviour in public.

Like I said there's literally support groups online for adults with ASD who went through ABA.

How about ask the people with ASD if they think it's a good idea or not?

All frum society cares about it that you fit in and learn to be as little autistic as possible.

ANY method can be abusive if the teacher is abusive.

There are typical children who were bullied by their teachers - does not mean that all teaching
is inherently abusive?

You yourself said that it is for the child's benefit to behave appropriately in public. I don't believe
that today ABA therapists tell a child they can never engage in "stimming" behavior - just not
to do it in public.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 10:43 pm
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:
Why is aba abusive? Can you pls elaborate?

You can start by reading this, there are lots of links there to other sources as well-- https://sociallyanxiousadvocat.....-aba/

And this is an open letter to parents considering ABA-- http://www.astraeasweb.net/politics/aba.html

flowerpower

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 10:50 pm
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
You can start by reading this, there are lots of links there to other sources as well-- https://sociallyanxiousadvocat.....-aba/

And this is an open letter to parents considering ABA-- http://www.astraeasweb.net/politics/aba.html

Just stop!!!!! Keep your agenda away from people. Thank you.

amother
Firethorn

Post Fri, Jul 09 2021, 10:27 am
Where can I buy the CD from shaindel cohen ?

amother
Raspberry

Post Fri, Jul 09 2021, 11:12 am
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....11472

oneofakind

Post Fri, Jul 09 2021, 11:39 am
Fraidy Zeidman in Brooklyn. Social worker trained in this.

amother
Lightcoral

Post Fri, Jul 09 2021, 12:25 pm
Psychologist or Speech Therapist trained for selective mutism.

amother
Blush

Post Fri, Jul 09 2021, 12:34 pm
flowerpower wrote:
Just stop!!!!! Keep your agenda away from people. Thank you.

Why is this an agenda?
Any time I do anything new with any of my children be it in the emotional realm or physical health I look at so many factors, I read all that I can both pro and con and speak to professionals and parents. I evaluate my child and my self and where my family is at.

And then I do what I feel is best knowing that it’s ok to change my mind or switch to something else at any time-

Knowledge is empowering.

amother
Oatmeal

Post Fri, Jul 09 2021, 1:30 pm
Not sure if this can work with every situation, but wanted to share something that worked for me as a Seit. The child didn’t have any delays academically and was outgoing and talkative at home, but in school she didn’t say a word. Only responded non-verbally to teachers and peers. After a year of not saying a word in school, she was approved to a few hours of Seit.

Besides for joining her in the classroom, I took her out every day to a room where we’d play together. I spoke and she played without speaking.

Then, after a few weeks, we took out a cousin from another class (can be a sister too, if that works) whom she felt really comfortable with and would talk freely with while not in school.... bringing in someone from her other “world”.

On the first or second session together, she started talking freely! I almost cried because it was the first time I ever heard her voice! I didn’t make a big deal in front of her though, we just continued playing.

When I brought her back to her class after these sessions my heart would go out to her because she still had a whole day in school, in which she would revert to being silent.

The next step was to work with them in her classroom when the class went out to play. I thought that if she got used to talking in her empty classroom, she’d continue later on.

By then then she was talking freely with me, even without her cousin there, so were one step closer to our goal.

I then asked her to pick a friend to join us in our sessions and she would talk to the friend while we played. It was so sweet to see their reactions when they heard her talking for the first time in 2 years of being classmates together! They’d want to come again and again.

Slowly she began talking in class too, Bh. It was beautiful to watch the process.

I’m sure each case is unique, but in this case it just took time, patience, and care to truly help.

Hope this can help someone else in this situation.

amother
Eggshell

Post Fri, Jul 09 2021, 3:50 pm
My 6 year old was diagnosed with selective mutism. We just started therapy at the Smart Center.
https://selectivemutismcenter.org/
I'll update in a few weeks once I see how things go and if I recommend them.
She has seen other therapists in the past and they were a waste of time. A speech therapist and ABA therapy won't help you. SM is an anxiety disorder, nothing to do with autism or speech it's a type of social anxiety. You should seek a therapist that specializes in this.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics