Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
What is your weekly/monthly cleaning routine/schedule?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 2:53 pm
For those who break up their housework/cleaning routine by day of the week, what is your weekly schedule?

If you do certain things on a monthly basis, what is your monthly schedule/what tasks do you do on a monthly basis?

Thank you!

amother
Red

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 5:29 pm
I don't really have a schedule other than vacuuming and mopping the floors, emptying wastebaskets, watering plants and cleaning the bathroom thursday night and changing all the linens on Friday for shabbes. I tidy up daily, do a major tidying up erev shabbos, and otherwise clean when the spirit moves me or I notice something's dirty. Sweep kitchen floor each night except when I don't. Wash dishes after every meal and put them away when dry. Wipe kitchen table after each meal, scrub it when it feels grungy. Clean stovetop when I notice it's dirty, which can be twice in a day or once a week depending on how much I cook. Clean microwave when I notice it's dirty. Wash windows twice a year before RH and pesach. Dust surfaces when I notice they're dusty--theoretically weekly but really more like once in 3-4 weeks. Dust bookcases and their contents once every winter. Oil wooden furniture once a year, twice at most. I don't use chemical-based furniture polishes.

Polish silver when it starts to look dingy. Used to polish it weekly for years then got smart. Laundry when there's enough for a load or I really need something that can't be washed by hand and hung in the shower , comes out to about six loads in two weeks. Really scrub pots and pans to a gleam about once a year or less, depends on my mood. Clean kitchen baseboards when I notice they're grimy and am in the mood. Clean oven once a year to kasher for pesach, but I use it mainly for bread and cakes, never for meat and once or twice a year for fish, so it doesn't get that dirty unless a fruit pie boils over. That seldom happens because I put the pie dish on a baking sheet to catch any volcanic lava flow. Wipe down bathroom and kitchen sink surrounds countless times a day because the sinks are shallow and water splashes all over all the time. When we had deeper sinks I hardly ever had to wipe them down unless I splashed something like beet juice.

Can't think of anything I do once a month as a routine, though there are probably jobs that just naturally get done once a month because that's how often I notice.

dankbar

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 5:48 pm
There are many people who have a routine of Mon & Thu cleaning lady,so that's when they are home to do larger cooking sessions & cleaning/organizing. Tuesday for outdoor errands so supper is in oven or crockpot. Wednesday grocery order for the week & simple dairy supper. Friday retouching or keeping kids out, not to mess up.

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 8:23 pm
Usually it works something like

The nights I have strength (don't ask about the nights I don't :-))
1. clear off kitchen table, put on clean tablecloth.
2. empty sinks and load dishwashers, wash up or at least neaten hand washables (pots, etc). put the pot/pan needed for tomorrow morning on the stove.
3. clear (or at least neaten) counters, put homework in one pile for morning
4. sweep, tie off garbage for husband to take out the next morning (if he remembers)
5. laundry: try to toss in a couple of washes
6. pick up stuff on living room floor
7. EXTRA CREDIT pick up stuff off playroom floor if it's not crazy
8. EXTRA CREDIT neaten dining room table (or at least make paperwork into neat piles)
9. make sure there's a towel near the sink for the morning

I'm also supposed to take out the chicken to defrost and put it into the fridge, but... next frontier.

when the stars align and I am blessed with a cleaning lady on Wednesdays I try to put some extra effort - making sure that either the linen from the beds gets popped into the washer the next morning so she can put on new linen, or at least put in a delicate wash of clothes so she can hang them all up the next day.

This does NOT mean my house is clean. for that I would need a reliable cleaning lady to wash floors, vacuum, bathrooms, plus have extra time to do luxury things like wash the walls/trim and dust stuff. Goals!!!!

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 8:34 pm
dankbar wrote:
There are many people who have a routine of Mon & Thu cleaning lady,so that's when they are home to do larger cooking sessions & cleaning/organizing. Tuesday for outdoor errands so supper is in oven or crockpot. Wednesday grocery order for the week & simple dairy supper. Friday retouching or keeping kids out, not to mess up.

I think she meant people who don’t have cleaning help.

Frumwithallergies

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 9:11 pm
I try to follow the cleaning schedule from Driven day. It's a free download.
My biggest challenge is decluttering, since I work full time and things accumulate. I sound like I'm making excuses, and this motivates me to get of Imamother and tidy a bit. Wish me luck Salut

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 10:50 pm
Thanks everyone!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry