Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
What can I use in a non kosher kitchen

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 7:00 pm
Renting an Airbnb with a non kosher kitchen...what can I use? I know I can’t cook but my primary needs are warming up food and hot water. Can I heat food in the oven doublE wrapped? Can I bring a teapot to boil water?
(Sorry if I sound dumb I’ve only ever rented kosher villas before)

amother
Puce

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 7:01 pm
Kasher the oven and the stovetop and use them to your hearts delight.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 7:05 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Renting an Airbnb with a non kosher kitchen...what can I use? I know I can’t cook but my primary needs are warming up food and hot water. Can I heat food in the oven doublE wrapped? Can I bring a teapot to boil water?
(Sorry if I sound dumb I’ve only ever rented kosher villas before)

You can use a *gas* stove (not electric like in FL), since it kashers itself every time it is on. Feel free to bring a pot to use on the stove top.
You can also double wrap food and cook in the oven. And double wrap food and cook in the microwave (not a wrapping that will pop open midway).
It's easier to self clean the oven and then use it, even if you double wrap. It will give you peace of mind.

amother
Sienna

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 7:28 pm
I would Kasher the microwave and the Gas burners -both very easy.
Personally, I would skip the oven.

SixOfWands

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 8:13 pm
ra_mom wrote:
You can use a *gas* stove (not electric like in FL), since it kashers itself every time it is on. Feel free to bring a pot to use on the stove top.
You can also double wrap food and cook in the oven. And double wrap food and cook in the microwave (not a wrapping that will pop open midway).
It's easier to self clean the oven and then use it, even if you double wrap. It will give you peace of mind.

I've never heard that gas ovens kasher themselves whenever used. Do you have a source? It would be very helpful to me if covid ever ends, as my dad has a gas oven.

OP, if the oven has a self clean, do that, and you're set. Otherwise, you can double wrap and cook or warm the food.

I've never found it easy to kasher gas burners, but maybe I'm weird. I'd just pick up something like this https://www.amazon.com/Ovente-.....r=1-1

You can't use these for Shabbat because they don't keep the water warm, but they boil very quickly.

SixOfWands

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 8:15 pm
Also, before Pesach, I usually find plastic counter covers, sort of like a plastic bag, but softer (and more sterile). If you can find them, use them over counters when you put food down.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 8:15 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
I've never heard that gas ovens kasher themselves whenever used. Do you have a source? It would be very helpful to me if covid ever ends, as my dad has a gas oven.

OP, if the oven has a self clean, do that, and you're set. Otherwise, you can double wrap and cook or warm the food.

I've never found it easy to kasher gas burners, but maybe I'm weird. I'd just pick up something like this https://www.amazon.com/Ovente-.....r=1-1

You can't use these for Shabbat because they don't keep the water warm, but they boil very quickly.

I wrote gas stove. The fire kashers the burners each time the fire is on.

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 8:19 pm
Self clean the oven. Gas burners are fine you can stick grates in the self clean. Electric stoves are fine as well and can be used.

https://www.ok.org/kosherspiri.....tops/

tichellady

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 10:00 pm
Don’t self clean oven without asking. I have heard horror stories. Yes you can double wrap the food and put in oven, light stove on high for 15 minutes and then it’s kashered ( if clean).

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 10:14 pm
Double wrapping solves most things.

imasinger

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 10:27 pm
Yes, double wrap. You can also consider bringing a toaster oven, portable grill, electric hot water pot.

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 10:34 pm
You can do a lot with a sandwich maker too.
Eggs, pancakes, grilled cheese, paninis, etc.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 10:52 pm
You cannot kasher something that is dirty.
Even if it looks clean there is often food residue and old grease on the stovetop and oven.
When I stayed in an Airbnb, I took a half size blech that covered 2 burners and kashered 2 burners using the blech to spread the heat. I just needed hot water and a way to heat things up so placing things on top of the blech was a good way.

amother
Honeydew

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 11:00 pm
I would double wrap all food in order to be able to use the oven, and bring an electric kettle (that you plug in)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics