Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Low FODMAP diet--please advise!

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Oct 08 2018, 8:38 am
My teen dd is starting the low FODMAP diet for her IBS. I'm feeling a tad overwhelmed. Have you done this and can you answer some of my questions:

1. I'm cooking for a big family, only one member of which is on this diet. Do I make her all her own foods, or can a lot of what I cook for the family be low FODMAP? Can you give examples?

2. How do I give my food flavor without onions and garlic? I know the trick about sauteeing big pieces of onion and garlic and then removing; any other ideas?

3. Are all commercial products such as tomato sauce, duck sauce, etc out because almost everything has onion and garlic powder?

4. Any other tips/chizuk someone who has BTDT can give me?

TIA!

STMommy

Post Mon, Oct 08 2018, 10:33 am
You're so awesome for asking these questions and for helping your DD get healthy, kol hakavod!
1. I have gone both ways (I'm the one on the diet). I have made multiple of things, mine the FODMAP way and regular for the rest of the family. It was a pain. It's easier to make a larger quantity of low FODMAP food. You are going to need to find new recipes. Chances are, you are used to cooking with gluten (pasta, bread crumbs, baked goods, etc). You really don't want to make a recipe twice, one with gluten and once without, that's a lot of extra work.
2. I use salt and pepper in everything, and a lot of herbs and spices are OK.
3. Yes many commercial products are off limits. I have lost weight and feel much healthier because I am eating so much cleaner. But meal prep takes advanced planning or I will be left with nothing to eat in the house.
4. Buy "The Complete Low-FODMAP diet" by Shepherd and Gibson.
Have your daughter do breath testing for lactose and fructose. I was able to add regular milk and other foods back into my diet by obtaining normal results on these tests. It was worth the few hours of my time.
Your chizzuk will come from your DD feeling better IY"H.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Oct 08 2018, 1:26 pm
Saute diced carrots and sliced celery as a base (or any veggies you're allowed). It gives nice flavor.

Use kosher salt instead of table salt for more depth (you'll need extra because it's lighter).

Play around with other flavors like curry, cumin, ground mustard, fresh ginger, etc.

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Oct 08 2018, 3:20 pm
Garlic infused olive oil is OK on the diet.
Store bought is expensive but you can make your own.

tichellady

Post Mon, Oct 08 2018, 3:26 pm
I used a lot of herbs on the diet- basil, cilantro, dill etc. nutritional yeast, preserved lemons, olives and roasted red pepper also add a lot of flavor.

tichellady

Post Mon, Oct 08 2018, 3:31 pm
Examples of things whole family can enjoy:
Salmon with green olives, cilantro, lemon and tomatoes over white rice
Chicken with lemon and rosemary or thyme
Roasted sweet potatoes with salt, pepper and lime juice
Roasted zuchinni with salt and pepper and fresh basil
Carrot ginger parsnip soup
Roasted red pepper soup

mazelandbracha

Post Wed, Mar 06 2019, 3:21 pm
My DD is starting this diet, too. How's it going, OP? I'm feeling super overwhelmed!

Did you find anything to use instead of challah?

amother
Papaya

Post Thu, Dec 26 2019, 7:46 am
I'm looking for a challah recipe too. Anyone?

tichellady

Post Thu, Dec 26 2019, 8:26 am
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:
I'm looking for a challah recipe too. Anyone?

I think spelt is ok but check

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 4:28 pm
I'm in the same boat now. Can you please share how your daughters did on this diet and how you managed the cooking?

amother
Cobalt

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 8:11 pm
Please be careful!!!
You should not be on a low fodmap diet if you don't need to be!

I have been going through a lot of medical issues myself and back and forth about doing the diet. My doctor could not stress how careful not be if the diet wasn't helping to stop low fodmap

I was not properly diagnosed with IBS and we are doing trial and error method.

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 10:21 pm
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
Please be careful!!!
You should not be on a low fodmap diet if you don't need to be!

I have been going through a lot of medical issues myself and back and forth about doing the diet. My doctor could not stress how careful not be if the diet wasn't helping to stop low fodmap

I was not properly diagnosed with IBS and we are doing trial and error method.

My child was diagnosed with IBS, and this diet supposedly helps 75% of sufferers

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Apr 27 2021, 10:32 pm
STMommy wrote:
You're so awesome for asking these questions and for helping your DD get healthy, kol hakavod!
1. I have gone both ways (I'm the one on the diet). I have made multiple of things, mine the FODMAP way and regular for the rest of the family. It was a pain. It's easier to make a larger quantity of low FODMAP food. You are going to need to find new recipes. Chances are, you are used to cooking with gluten (pasta, bread crumbs, baked goods, etc). You really don't want to make a recipe twice, one with gluten and once without, that's a lot of extra work.
2. I use salt and pepper in everything, and a lot of herbs and spices are OK.
3. Yes many commercial products are off limits. I have lost weight and feel much healthier because I am eating so much cleaner. But meal prep takes advanced planning or I will be left with nothing to eat in the house.
4. Buy "The Complete Low-FODMAP diet" by Shepherd and Gibson.
Have your daughter do breath testing for lactose and fructose. I was able to add regular milk and other foods back into my diet by obtaining normal results on these tests. It was worth the few hours of my time.
Your chizzuk will come from your DD feeling better IY"H.

Who does breath testing and is it covered by insurance?

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, May 03 2021, 2:37 pm
Bump.
Any update about your child, OP? Has it helped her?

STMommy

Post Mon, May 03 2021, 4:32 pm
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
Who does breath testing and is it covered by insurance?

The doctor sent a prescription for the tests to a lab and I went there. All covered by insurance.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics