Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Can pregnancy cause covid complications?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 11:06 pm
I’m 26 weeks pregnant at the moment ka”h. We keep to all the covid rules and regulations, but I’m feeling a bit ambivalent about the vaccine. I’ve read a lot of the arguments for and against, the vaccine, it just got developed really fast, and I thought that bc I was pregnant (plus not in any population that gets the vaccine first), it would give me some time to think about it all, keep reading as more research and statistics come out, etc. we live in Israel, so the vaccine rollout has been pretty swift.
My husband has been super-paranoid about corona from the outset. I’m also very cautious about it, and do my best to protect myself and others, but I’m not as extreme as him. He works from home and basically never leaves the house except to go to an outdoor minyan where everyone is at least 2m apart.
I’m not working, but I take my kids to school when there aren’t lockdowns, and I run a lot of errands at the stores, go to doctors appointments, etc. Other than that, don’t go out, so not a ton of exposure but also not none.
Anyway, DH has been super excited about this vaccine- he finally managed to organize to receive the first shot last week bc he heard they had some leftovers at the end of the day at one of the clinics near us. It was always a given that I was gonna wait before receiving it, bc of my pregnancy. It also helped that my sister-in-law, who’s a doctor (so she is worshipped in my husbands family and every word she says is a gem 🙄), had been pregnant from the beginning of the pandemic, and she chose to only do research and not work directly with patients bc there hadn’t been any research on the effects of corona on pregnancy, the unborn child, etc. But recently, there have been a few cases of pregnant women developing complications from covid and being in critical condition and DH is nervous. He says he’s part of a FB group that has a bunch of epidemiologists and other doctors on it and they are advising pregnant women to get it. And of course, my sister-in-law, the fancy doctor (sorry, I know there’s a vibe there, the hero worship just gets on my nerves and I don’t have that much patience these days...) has since given birth and has now chosen to be vaccinated even tho she is nursing. Convenient that she didn’t have to make that choice whilst she was still pregnant...so DH thinks I should get it now bc he says that the danger of covid is greater than the potential side effects of the vaccine, but I don’t want to take that risk. I keep saying that just bc a few pregnant women had adverse reactions doesn’t mean we can draw a correlation yet, and I don’t want to put my unborn child at risk. I’m also a bit willful and don’t like being told what to do with my body by my husband and his family (I’m very pro-vaccinations in general, but this one hasn’t had the years of trials etc that the others have, and the whole thing makes me nervous, even tho I’ve read all the reasons they gave for why they were able to accelerate the process so much). Anyway, figured I’d find out if there was something I didn’t know about a possible correlation between pregnancy and serious covid complications. Or just to get a sense of people’s opinions...

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 11:15 pm
I think we should always listen to our own intuition about our own bodies, it is a sixth sense.

That said there have been anecdotal stories of women in high pregnancy having a harder time than unpregnant women in the same age bracket. But at the seemingly similar rate of all young people with hard cases. But we also know more how to treat it than before.

There are no studies on this vaccine for pregnant women, anyone getting it is the trial at this point. Never before have drs pushed any as of yet unapproved medical interventions based on fear and hunches.

Just make sure whatever you decide you are confident that you made the decision and were not pushed into it one way or the other.

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 11:22 pm
I’m pregnant Bh as well. I have two close family members who are primary care practitioners and are NOT recommending the vaccine to their patients and aren’t planning on taking it either. There is not a lot of research that was done about long term effects and stuff and there was a lot of money being put into making these vaccines accessible as soon as possible which automatically motivates vaccine companies to make it work out. That doesn’t sound very promising and leaves room for many details to get hidden. That being said, there is no research done on pregnant people and therefore you should be super careful before getting the vaccine while pregnant.
Ok another note, I did have Covid during this pregnancy and was sick for two weeks but Bh Bh Bh no effects or complications.

amother
Tan

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 11:32 pm
You are bh not in a hi risk environment. I would not take the shot right now.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 11:39 pm
I pity the fool who takes this vaccine pregnant while they are otherwise young and healthy.

I know that sounds harsh but those are my feelings on the matter.

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Jan 17 2021, 11:56 pm
Do you trust your OB? Can you discuss it with him/her? Or your pcp? Midwife?

amother
Taupe

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 12:16 am
I’m pregnant and I think I would get it in the third trimester if offered to me. First trimester I feel nervous about. Obviously no one knows what you should do

amother
Ruby

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 12:19 am
My husband has Covid now and I might too and I'm 15 weeks pregnant. I called my OB today and she really sounded very relaxed about it. She said nearly everyone was fine and most pregnant women did not have worse cases than non pregnant young people. She didn't seem concerned about side affects on baby either.
I really think you have to be stupid to take a vaccine with zero studies in pregnant women.

Roots

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 3:43 am
if iwere pregnant now than I probably wouldnt want to take it
but being that your husband really really wants it and did look into it as much as he can and still wants you to take it, my personal advise is never to go 'rosh b rosh' as we say in hebrew- listen to him. be an isha ksheira and beezrat Hashem it will be a zchus to health ad 120

amother
Gold

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 3:51 am
In the same position! It's really scary. I 100% think that pregnant women are high risk. I've read studies that they have a 30% chance more of being hospitalized with COVID and complications than a woman of their age who isn't pregnant.

I'm really nervous about both COVID and the vaccine. We've been really careful as well but we've been seeing Dh's parents who live alone with one brother (20 years old) since they've been careful as well since they are higher risk. We got married right before COVID and having them around has been a great help.

My brother in law says once he gets his second shot he is stopping all precautions. So now I don't know what to do.

Certain doctors of our are saying you cant transmit it with a vaccine or it's really really really low of a chance. I'd love to believe that. Id love to continue seeing Dh's family and begin seeing my family as well and other friends who got the vaccine. But I'm really nervous and scared.

I don't know what to do.

I'm really starting to consider getting the vaccine for my mental health.

Elfrida

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 4:33 am
I've given it to quite a few pregnant and nursing women, including doctors.

Since last March I've been working with Corona patients who have not needed hospitalization, which is the vast majority of cases. I've seen that pregnant women tend to have a harder time with Corona, and take a few more days to get over it. Absolutely this doesn't apply to everyone. But I'm speaking about an overall trend.

Sometimes I've had to arrange for phone consultations with a doctor, or transfer to a hospital. This tends to happen disproportionately frequently for pregnant women. Again, this doesn't apply to everyone, or even the majority. But pregnancy makes one more vulnerable to disease in general, and Corona is no exception.

Most pregnant women will be able to deal with Corona without too much trouble. But for some it will be harder than normal, and for some it will lead to serious complications, which will affect both them and their baby. It seems that their risk level is higher than that in the population at large.

Everyone has to make that decision for themselves. What I can say is that I know the sister of one of the very high profile cases that has been publicized in the past few days. She and her sisters are all doing the vaccine - pregnant or not.

amother
Gold

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 5:07 am
Elfrida wrote:
I've given it to quite a few pregnant and nursing women, including doctors.

Since last March I've been working with Corona patients who have not needed hospitalization, which is the vast majority of cases. I've seen that pregnant women tend to have a harder time with Corona, and take a few more days to get over it. Absolutely this doesn't apply to everyone. But I'm speaking about an overall trend.

Sometimes I've had to arrange for phone consultations with a doctor, or transfer to a hospital. This tends to happen disproportionately frequently for pregnant women. Again, this doesn't apply to everyone, or even the majority. But pregnancy makes one more vulnerable to disease in general, and Corona is no exception.

Most pregnant women will be able to deal with Corona without too much trouble. But for some it will be harder than normal, and for some it will lead to serious complications, which will affect both them and their baby. It seems that their risk level is higher than that in the population at large.

Everyone has to make that decision for themselves. What I can say is that I know the sister of one of the very high profile cases that has been publicized in the past few days. She and her sisters are all doing the vaccine - pregnant or not.

Do you reccomend it?

amother
Black

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 6:30 am
I love in New York and am 18 weeks bh: my pcp said he would recommend it if my ob does. He doesn’t see why not. I spoke to my ob’s secretary and she said he is recommending his patients to take it. I’m waiting for my next visit to talk it out with him but I’m also torn. It’s scary to get Covid when pregnant or anything. I rember last pregnancy a simple cold knocked me out for a while.

amother
Black

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 6:31 am
I must add I’m not in my 20’s I’m older . Maybe that makes a difference age wise

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 7:28 am
Yes. Pregnancy can cause Covid complications, and Covid can cause pregnancy complications.

amother
Linen

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 7:58 am
No guarantee. Rabbi Lau got Covid after receiving 2 vaccinations. So if you are vaccinated and get Covid anyway, you ( and your baby) took the risk of both.
There is no research so those who say you should take it anyway are treating it like a flu shot which it's not. It's made in a totally different way than we ever had before.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 9:23 am
Thanks for all the responses. Seems like, as with everything else with covid, there are differing opinions and experiences and nobody really knows for sure...
It was useful to hear from anothers who have had covid while pregnant- I’ve been curious to know what their experience with it was. And I agree that I need to make the decision for myself and not get pushed into anything.
Good idea to speak to my doctor about it- I don’t know why I didn’t think of that before- my husband and his family are so full of emphatic vitriol that sometimes it’s hard for me to think past any of that 🙈 I have an appointment with my OB tomorrow and I’ll ask him what his opinion in the matter is.
I’m sure the sisters of the high profile case are all getting vaccinated- I can understand that being their reaction, but I’m trying to work out for myself how exceptional her case is, or if it really is indicative of a broader covid/pregnancy problem.
The point that u can get corona after having been vaccinated was significant for me as well.

Thanks everyone for weighing in, and I’m still interested to hear anyone else’s thoughts and opinions as well.

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 10:25 am
I’m starting treatment soon at a top fertility center in America. They told me to absolutely get the vaccine, following ACOG recommendation, and no reason to delay TTCing during or after. Pregnancy is considered a high risk category for Covid.

There may be risks to the vaccine. But there are definite risks to Covid.

amother
Honeydew

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 11:17 am
I had covid while pregnant. Was not a big deal. My midwife said lots of her patients did and all were fine. I think someone is dumb to take a vaccine thay wasn't tested during pregnancy. There are many stories of fetal.demise post vaccination btw, even on third trimester. I wouldn't risk it.

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 12:21 pm
I'm 32 weeks pregnant and have decided not to to get the vaccine. My doctor said that it was up to me. He didn't see much risk in getting the vaccine but he didn't think I was high risk for complications from covid either.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics