Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
4 year old DS has the strangest ideas about Hashem

Rappel

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 12:10 am
Does everyone have this?
"I want to pour soap on Hashem."
"Hashem isn't everywhere. Hashem can't be in the dirt!"
"I want to kill Hashem!" and then after some clarification, "but right there was also a good Pharaoh a while back? Where is he now? Is there a Pharaoh in America?"

All of which was discussed before my morning coffee.

-----
I can't be the only one. I try to teach him that Hashem is like a loving, caring Abba, and the source of everything wonderful in creation. But the little heathen keeps blowing my mind with his descriptions and decisions! LOL

Please remind me that this is normal.

What odd things do your kids say about Hashem?

Last edited by Rappel on Mon, Jan 18 2021, 4:20 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 12:22 am
How adorable! Little kids have to work hard to make sense of the world.

LovesHashem

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 12:38 am
He sounds adorable. It seems like you speak to him a lot about Hashem, that's wonderful.

Learning

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 12:45 am
Maybe you speak to him about hashem above his level. He sounds confused. Just tell him hashem is in the sky above watching over us. Not that hashem is everywhere. He might be scared that hashem is also in the sandbox and dirt. Told tell him that hashem is source of everything he can’t understand it and he is all confused and scared. He sounds very smart and pays attention to everything you say.

LovesHashem

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 12:54 am
I don't think she should stop talking about Hashem. As long as you answer questions and explain a ton the kid shouldn't be scared.

mochamix18

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 1:00 am
Awww Rappel he is very imaginative and yeah I think he’s just trying to make sense of a concept that is so hard to grasp. My DS is almost 6 and is still very confused about Hashem.

amother
Taupe

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 2:41 am
My 5 year old asked me the other day what Hashem is made of, as in, what material. He has also asked if Hashem is bigger than kadur ha'aretz. I think it is little kids trying to make sense of the world, bit by bit.
Our dd, 8 years old, asked me, after our neighbor was niftar, so what, I have davened for him so many times. Has Hashem just thrown all my tefillot in the pach (garbage)? I tried to explain to her that Hashem knows best and our neighbor now doesn't have to be ill and suffering any more and that he's probably happy and with Hashem now.
Our middle ds, 6, who often refuses to say berachot or makes mock versions of them, heard this and asked if the neighbor can now meet Avraham Avinu and Moshe Rabbeinu and also our Saba and Savta in shamayim.
Kids... need a lot of gentle, repetitive explaining, also for uncomfortable or weird questions

mochamix18

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 2:51 am
I’m not sure if any of you use the ArtScroll children’s Siddur . We use it when my DS is home, although recently we’ve been calling in to his mechina for tefilla. Anyway, when use the siddur, we’ve made it part of our routine to start with one of the paragraphs from the intro. I think they give children a nice simple explanation of Hashem and tefilla.

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 4:06 am
“I think I know why Hashem hides his face. Because he thinks he looks weird.” Said by my 5 year old recently.

Just One

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 6:39 am
"Does Hashem also have a tiny little eibishter in his stomach?"

Juxtaposing his understanding of the neshama, chelek elokei to Hashem...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics