Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
How long is your toddler on the bus for?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 11:47 am
How long your is 3 year old on the bus for?
How long do you think is "too" long?

In case location makes a difference- Brooklyn

amother
Gray

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 12:22 pm
I would never put a three year old on a bus. I would pay a private driver though. Not longer than 30 minutes.

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 12:30 pm
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
I would never put a three year old on a bus. I would pay a private driver though. Not longer than 30 minutes.

I guess it's not the norm in your community.
There's no issues putting a 3 year old on a bus and in many area's it's normal to be on the bus for 45 minutes.

amother
Gray

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 12:32 pm
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
There's no issues putting a 3 year old on a bus and in many area's it's normal to be on the bus for 45 minutes.

Op asked about my standard, so I shared my standard. This is what I would be comfortable with, regardless of what other people are doing.

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 12:39 pm
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
Op asked about my standard, so I shared my standard. This is what I would be comfortable with, regardless of what other people are doing.

I guess this question only applies to those that their 3 year olds are going on the bus.

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 12:42 pm
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:

Just because its the norm, doesn't mean it's the ideal or that it should happen. The thought of a three year old having to deal with a forty five minute journey twice a day sounds quite appalling to me.

We walk ten minutes down the road. Even the children who have to get hasa'ot aren't on them more than fifteen minutes or so.

keym

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 12:53 pm
In my world, majority of 3 year olds are walked or driven by their parents to playgroup. Occasionally a parent will hire someone.
The only 3 year olds I know who go on a bus, are those in special education public schools. I believe there's a driver and at least one aid on the bus.
I have never put a child on a bus until primary. (5 years old or almost 5). And even then, I felt that some of them were too small to climb up the bus and onto a seat.

amother
Black

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 12:58 pm
15ish minutes.
Long would probably be 45+ minutes.
The city has a lot more traffic, so I imagine 45 minutes is the minimum there.

Last edited by amother on Mon, Jan 18 2021, 1:15 pm; edited 2 times in total

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 1:05 pm
I wouldn’t put a 3 year old on a bus if I can avoid it.

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 1:05 pm
We're in Brooklyn: 45 mins in the morning.
About 5 mins in the afternoon.

One of my kids had a much longer bus ride at that age due to specific circumstances but did not seem to mind being on the bus that long (although initially I was concerned).

suremom

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 1:06 pm
keym wrote:
In my world, majority of 3 year olds are walked or driven by their parents to playgroup. Occasionally a parent will hire someone.
The only 3 year olds I know who go on a bus, are those in special education public schools. I believe there's a driver and at least one aid on the bus.
I have never put a child on a bus until primary. (5 years old or almost 5). And even then, I felt that some of them were too small to climb up the bus and onto a seat.

Some SN kids are on the bus for over two hours with no supervision.... Crying Crying

amother
Mistyrose

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 1:13 pm
25 minutes in the morning
15 minutes in the afternoon.
Brooklyn

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 1:28 pm
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
I wouldn’t put a 3 year old on a bus if I can avoid it.

It also isn't my 1st choice but there's no other eay for them to get to school. I live in Monsey where some schools are out of area and the routes take long in general because the traffic is terrible. There are bus monitors on the bus and the kids are well supervised.
Every school has bus monitors for pre school, they're not on the bus unsupervised.

amother
Gold

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 1:28 pm
45 mins one way and 15 mins the other (opposite ends of the bus route). There are wonderful drivers and bus monitors, and he loves riding the bus. I actually wish he had a longer route in the afternoon so he could get a nap in. The bus ride was a concern for me when choosing to send to this school (there were closer ones), but it turned out to be 100% fine.

ShishKabob

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 1:31 pm
On the bus for 35-40 minutes in Monsey. He seems to enjoy it as he comes home full of spunk and is not sleepy or edgy bh!

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 1:38 pm
15/20 min in the morning and about half an hour in the afternoon

chanchy123

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 1:43 pm
I would not send a three year old on a bus, unless there was no other alternative (I know people who sent their children in special cabs for special Ed schools at that age - this would not be ideal but if I had no other choice I’d do that).
When I decided to move to my current town there was no gan (school) for three year olds and up, and they were bussed to a neighboring town about 20 minutes away. They used a van and the kids had an adult chaperone. We only finalised or plans to move here when a gan opened up - to us this was a deal breaker.
However, I’m sure other people would be shocked about other parenting decisions we made. I guess it really depends what you’re used to.

Teomima

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 1:49 pm
I can't imagine doing that. My 3 year olds have never been further than a ten minute walk away. I know it's a different story entirely in different communities, and I get it that it might be socially acceptable there, but I just couldn't imagine ever putting a child that young on a bus at all, and certainly not for the times mentioned here.

ichbingreit

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 2:49 pm
my son is not yet three, we live in israel BH he is on the bus about a half hour in the morning and about 20 mins in afternoon. He also seems to enjoy it and comes home super happy and tells me what he saw from the window. He is y everything and I was nervous about it at first but I live on a new road and need to walk about 15 mins and take another bus for about 20 mins to bring him and I just cant do that....
people need to stop feeling guilty for the way they do things, it really depends on the individual child.
I also put him into cheder when he was a bit shy of 2 years old, he's by far the youngest but I saw that he loves it and its good for him to be challenged. Half a year later and he's BH bly ayin hara answering parsha questions and singing songs.
Everyone has to do what works best for their particular child, beH everyone should see only Nachas

chanchy123

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 3:03 pm
ichbingreit wrote:
my son is not yet three, we live in israel BH he is on the bus about a half hour in the morning and about 20 mins in afternoon. He also seems to enjoy it and comes home super happy and tells me what he saw from the window. He is y everything and I was nervous about it at first but I live on a new road and need to walk about 15 mins and take another bus for about 20 mins to bring him and I just cant do that....
people need to stop feeling guilty for the way they do things, it really depends on the individual child.
I also put him into cheder when he was a bit shy of 2 years old, he's by far the youngest but I saw that he loves it and its good for him to be challenged. Half a year later and he's BH bly ayin hara answering parsha questions and singing songs.
Everyone has to do what works best for their particular child, beH everyone should see only Nachas

May I ask what kind of cheder accepts kids under two? What sort of busing system do you have?
I’ve never heard of either of these in Israel.
I honestly just want to understand how this works because I live in Israel and this sounds so foreign to me.
My son is just shy of three and I can’t imagine him in a cheder setting. He communicates pretty well and even knows letters and numbers in Hebrew and English, but I don’t think he’d be able to gain much from learning parsha or anything. He does love the songs he learned at daycare (when that was happening, between lockdowns to know) Was your son toilet trained that early? That’s so impressive.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics