Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets
Rabbit - is it a good idea? and how to go about it?
Previous  1  2

Elfrida

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 4:51 pm
amother [ Blush ] wrote:

I guess people love their cats and they are easier because they don't have to be walked - but one has to deal with a litter box. Smile

I don't have a litter box. I leave the window slightly open, and the cats go outside to do their business as necessary.

I keep the litter box in case I get a sick cat who can't go out, or an abandoned baby kitten or similar. Even when you do have to have a litter box the great thing is that it is instinctive for them to use it. I've only had a show a kitten once or twice where the litter box was, and then they always went there. Dogs are a lot of work to house train.

Amarante

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 4:54 pm
Elfrida wrote:
I don't have a litter box. I leave the window slightly open, and the cats go outside to do their business as necessary.

I keep the litter box in case I get a sick cat who can't go out, or an abandoned baby kitten or similar. Even when you do have to have a litter box the great thing is that it is instinctive for them to use it. I've only had a show a kitten once or twice where the litter box was, and then they always went there. Dogs are a lot of work to house train.

The people I know with cats wouldn't be able to let their cats out the windows - even if they had 900 lives. LOL

amother
Puce

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 5:02 pm
My kids desperately wanted a puppy. We got them the most lovable sweetest parakeet. Easy to care for and so interactive. All the kids come over to play with it. Just go to a good place that knows a birds personality!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 5:03 pm
amother [ Mistyrose ] wrote:
Look into renting a bunny for a week or a month. That'll probably be enough to cure your kids when they see how hard it is to care a pet.

Is it a thing? is it good for them? If they are so sensitive, isn't it cruel to take them and and they bring back?

I thought they took a while to warm up to new people. Does it mean weeks or hours or months?

rachel6543

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 5:08 pm
My friends had a pet bunny for several years. Was a positive experience for them as far as I can remember. It was litter trained. They lived in a townhouse/condo that had a small enclosed backyard patio. The bunny had free rein of the house and the backyard patio.

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 5:10 pm
Lennon the bunny on YouTube is a great resource for learning more about what it takes to care for a bunny.

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 5:52 pm
I have a rabbit. That being said I do not take care of it at all my husband does it all.

We have the rabbit in our basement in a large (at least 10×6 ft) gated in area with lots of cardboard boxes to chew and hide in. It has a litter box and is trained. It eats hay, pellets and produce. It has a bowl for water. It is a very loveable pet. It loves being petted and having its head scratched. It doesn't make noise or smell at all.

We let it out to run around almost everyday. Sometimes we take it outside for "walks" on a leash. (It runs REALLY fast and totally would run away). It does chew on things (wires, shoe laces are a favorites).

I think it is a pretty easy-going pet but not one that likes being jostled around by a bunch of kids (but what animal does like that? A dog maybe?) It is one of the few animals I would allow in my house.

As far as time needed to take care of it- it needs its littler box changed everyday or every other day. It needs new produce and pellets everyday. It always needs a supply of hay so my husband leaves a lot out for it and only needs to replenish every so often. It likes attention but not all the time or everyday.

Let me know if you want to know anything else!

amother
Violet

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 7:35 pm
We’ve had a few bunnies and we did train them to go only in the litter box but they do not so the job as far as you’re kids wanting a pet. We got a dog about 6 months ago and was the best thing we ever did.

amother
Crocus

Post Mon, Jul 19 2021, 6:46 am
Siriusly? wrote:
Fully agree with Zehava and watergirl - as much as your kids beg and you think it could be cute, it's not worth it if you're not into it - it's a real commitment that may be fun and new in the beginning, but you will come to regret it.

Azure, not sure where you're getting your info, but I know several very happy rabbit owners (including myself). While it's true that many rabbits don't enjoy being forced to sit still and be petted for a large amount of time, they absolutely love playing, and kids love that. After tiring themselves out playing, most rabbits will lay quietly and enjoy a rub too. Also, if your rabbit is biting, you're doing something wrong.
It is true though that cats are probably the lowest-maintenance pet to get.

How do you play with your rabbit? We have a rabbit that loves being pet, but we're not really sure how to play with her. She likes to run around the house but we found out very quickly that she doesn't like to be chased and doesn't chase. We would appreciate any ideas because we'd love to be able to interact with her more.

amother
Crocus

Post Thu, Feb 02 2023, 10:07 pm
amother Crocus wrote:
How do you play with your rabbit? We have a rabbit that loves being pet, but we're not really sure how to play with her. She likes to run around the house but we found out very quickly that she doesn't like to be chased and doesn't chase. We would appreciate any ideas because we'd love to be able to interact with her more.

Me too! Same question!

amother
Steelblue

Post Thu, Feb 02 2023, 10:46 pm
As a person with real life experience on a variety of pets, I would definitely not recommend a rabbit as a first pet. Rabbits can easily be injured by small hands, being dropped.

If not used to pets, then really don't get one.

If a pet is a must, go for the least needed to care for it because most pets take a lot of work. there are few easy ones. I happen to think cats are one of the easiest but lots of people are allergic and there is a smell to them. Litter needs to be cleaned every day to have a chance at no smell.

Fish require water/tank maintenance. They don't just go in tap water.

Birds have feathers and seed that tend to easily escape their cage. As do their bird droppings.

Mammals need to do their business somewhere. Requires litter changing or walks or changing bedding at the very, very least once per week. Bedding is a mess. Then there is the Pesach hassle of food.

Amphibians and reptiles need special aquariam set ups. Lamps, rocks, a nice temperature, etc.

cookier

Post Thu, Feb 02 2023, 10:50 pm
Another to say don’t get a rabbit. They’re not beginner pets and are actually very fragile. They can be easily, fatally injured if they’re picked up and panic, medical concerns go from 0-60 very quickly and they require specialized vet care. My sister has one whom we all adore, but he’s had emergency vet stays almost every year.

No pet is without work/expense, but cats are definitely lowest maintenance.

amother
NeonPink

Post Thu, Feb 02 2023, 11:21 pm
We got a bunny a year ago for our DD, she is 10.
She was begging and begging and begging until we gave in with the promise that she’ll be fully in charge from A-Z. Fast fwd, I am the one doing all the work, cleaning the litter box (we trained her) making sure she has her food/water and cleaning the cage.it is A LOT of work!
My daughter rarely looks at it but is very emotionally attached. As long as she knows it’s downstairs she’s calm.
We told her we are going to give it up since I have a FT job and can no longer do all the work.
I also feel sad as it sits in our basement and doesn’t get taken out often. Every day I cry for it.

Only get one if you can invest time every day to make sure it’s well taken care of.
My kids played with it the first few months and our bunny is so adorable, we also took it for walks on a leash.

amother
Daisy

Post Fri, Feb 03 2023, 6:31 am
Just an fyi- rabbits are silent. My cousins have a few, and when I went to visit, I never knew when they were right next to me.
I like animals, but it was too much for me.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets