Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Help needed with 14 yr old daughter teenage behavior

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 11:10 pm
She's my oldest, we always had a great relationship. Recently having a lot of disagreements and overrall probably what's considered regular teenage behaviour
It's been awhile since I was one, and I need some guidance on dealing with all this - like when to just keep quiet and let her yell at me that I am the worst mother ever if I don't let her....when to hold my ground/give in.
I find myself unsure in so many situations what would be the best way to go.

I'm not sure if I'm looking for a book recommendation or maybe I need like parenting classes...any experienced mothers here can help me out?

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 11:54 pm
following

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 2:35 am
Following too. I deal with same problem now but bh I do have someone that I talk to and guides me . Things are better , Dh must work hard rebuild connection. I dont know how our connections became so much more distant. Of course I try to talk to ds every day and try connect. Mainly teens love to be listened to. And its important to show interest in their hobbies ect

Good luck

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 6:59 am
"Parenting Teens with Love and Logic" is the book that turned around my relationship with DD.

At one point I was so at my wit's end, I was crying every night, and actually considering trying to find a boarding school for her.

I had to learn how to let go. I told her "You're past bas mitzva, so what you do now is between you and Hashem. All I ask is that you respect me and the house rules."

It was still rough going for a while, but as I eased up on her, she really stepped up to prove to me that she was a responsible kid.

It's such a tough age for some kids! Some teens breeze through those years without questioning anything. People call those "good kids". Still, they may end up having a midlife crisis later on. Let her question everything now, while she is safe in your house, and you are there to support her.

Remember, rebellion is not about you personally. It's about her trying to figure out how life works. Half of her is a little kid, and half of her is an adult - and they are constantly fighting inside her head.

Maybe this thread will give you some chizzuk. https://www.imamother.com/foru.....99926

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 7:00 am
amother [ Natural ] wrote:
Following too. I deal with same problem now but bh I do have someone that I talk to and guides me . Things are better , Dh must work hard rebuild connection. I dont know how our connections became so much more distant. Of course I try to talk to ds every day and try connect. Mainly teens love to be listened to. And its important to show interest in their hobbies ect

Good luck

Absolutely! Very wise words indeed.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics