Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Will you do anything different this year because of corona?
1  2  3  Next

bobeli

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 12:30 am
Will you go to less people?
O will you give prepackaged food instead of homemade?
Any difference with kids costume?
Different party plans than normal years?

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 12:33 am
Between corona and the fact that Purim is on Friday, things will have to be somewhat toned down.
We're in Israel and no one in my community is planning parties.

heidi

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 12:37 am
Stores aren't opening for at least another 2 weeks here in Israel. I'll probably give a supermarket plastic bag with an orange inside

amother
White

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 12:40 am
Quarantines had already started here last Purim. It affected a couple of our kids, but not the adults. So we delivered fewer MM, had a low key seuda at home, and did megilla via zoom. The extra MM were distributed to the staff at my gym and in my office building.

I anticipate the same this year. Well, except I don't go to the gym, and lost my job.

ETA, I'm considering buying cards to benefit IDF Lone soldiers, and sending them to most people. Each of us will then do the minimum MM.

tichellady

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 12:55 am
No Seudah with friends. Will give mm that can be reheated I think.

amother
Peach

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 1:05 am
I live in a community that around 98% of the people have antibodies so I think it will be a regular Purim aside for it being on Friday. I plan on inviting family members who have been locked up even though they already had covid and have antibodies. I believe these people have developed a habit to stay inside and need help coming out and joining the world again. I’m hoping Purim will get them to venture out since it’s safe for them anyway.

IMHopinion

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 1:07 am
I’ll be wearing a mask 😷😏😏😏

Teomima

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 3:02 am
B"h by Purim everyone in my family will be fully vaccinated, so even though a mere month ago it was totally inconceivable to plan on seeing each other, it might actually be a real possibility this year. But I wouldn't be surprised if the government renews the lockdown (I'm in Israel), assuming we even get out of our current lockdown by then. If we're permitted, maybe we will do a very little seuda and I'll do quick simple mm drop-offs (a lot of people I know are in quarantine at any given time so it really will be a doorstep drop-off in some cases). Of course, this also depends on the new strains and the effectiveness of the vaccine-induced antibodies against these strains.

chanchy123

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 3:37 am
Hopefully, by Purim we’ll all be vaccinated. My parents ILs and grandfather will IYH be way past the point of developing antibodies after their second vaccination and hopefully DH and I will get a vaccine next week (might be wishful thinking) so should be past the second vaccine by Purim, however I have a child who is high risk - so it really depends on how well the country will be doing at that point in time. Impossible to know or plan now.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 4:12 am
Even though a few of my family member will have been vaccinated by then, we will still not be having any family get togethers as not everyone will be vaccinated by then (none of the grandkids or pregnant women).
And we will definitely have t be much more careful in regards to what we give and what w take from others as mishloach manot.
We will probably give a bag of bisli and a fruit, noting home made as not everyone shares made food.
It will be sadder than last year. Last year, for us anyway, was a normal purim. This year it will not be.

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 5:46 am
Last year I brought MM to everyone at work. This year because of the government's response to Corona (not because of the virus itself!) I don't have a job.

DVOM

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 6:14 am
I will be careful to mask and distance as I'm pregnant, haven't been vaccinated, and (thank God!) have not had Covid.

The vast majority of my family and community have had it or have been vaccinated, so I may be the only one taking precautions.

imasinger

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 6:21 am
Last year, shutdown happened shortly afterward Purim. At the time, we had been instructed by government and WHO not to mask (in order not to use supplies medical professionals might need), so all we did differently was wash our hands with soap before using the washing cup at seudah, and talk about how careful we were being. All homemade MM, lots of delivery, crowds in shul, big seudah, dancing.

This year, we'll probably send two things to one friend, and do communal cards/prepacked things through shul to anyone else on our list. Anyone delivering or greeting in our community will almost certainly be masked, kids will probably wear costumes. Probably won't be school Purim carnivals. Masks and limited numbers in shul, we're planning to invite one pair of friends, a married couple with no kids, to a SD backyard brunch seudah, keep tables apart, unmask only while eating. They're so extra careful, they'll probably bring their own food.

We'll be davening that by next year, we will be able to celebrate as before.

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 7:07 am
amother [ Peach ] wrote:
I live in a community that around 98% of the people have antibodies so I think it will be a regular Purim aside for it being on Friday. I plan on inviting family members who have been locked up even though they already had covid and have antibodies. I believe these people have developed a habit to stay inside and need help coming out and joining the world again. I’m hoping Purim will get them to venture out since it’s safe for them anyway.

Just wondering where the 98% number comes from? it's not even mathematically possible. I live in a community where most people has it too but 98% is ridiculous to say and also when not based on any evidence. I'm sure I'll have a regular Purim.

zaq

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 7:40 am
I will probably go to a Zoom megillah reading and will not be going to the purim party that my machatonim are not making (no, that's not a typo, they're not making a party and we're not going), which means that my costume, if any, will probably be limited to a headdress of some sort or maybe just a humorous face covering embellishment. I don't expect the number of MM to be reduced as we just drop them off at people's doors, anyway.

As I'm sure some people will discard any MM that isn't in a sealed commercial package, I will probably not bother making hamantashen, which are the only homemade food I ever send. There is no evidence that food is a vector for the spread of COVID--it's the congregating around the tables that's the problem, which is why food is now served in grab-and-go form. With homemade food the real concern is fecal bacteria like E.coli and cold-flu viruses, especially when MM come from households with small children whose personal hygiene leaves something to be desired and who have a habit of touching everything they see, even when mommy says "don't touch, that's for MM."

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 8:16 am
heidi wrote:
Stores aren't opening for at least another 2 weeks here in Israel. I'll probably give a supermarket plastic bag with an orange inside

Is the plastic edible? Cuz you need two foods! Wink

Last edited by amother on Thu, Feb 04 2021, 9:26 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 8:40 am
No big Seudah ( we usually host 20 of our nearest And dearest) just my parents and us (parents got the vaccine) I don’t know if our shul will be open to kids (it hasn’t been since March) even if they are there won’t be any programming. We always give MM to only 5 or 6 neighbors so that won’t change.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 9:44 am
zaq wrote:
I will probably go to a Zoom megillah reading and will not be going to the purim party that my machatonim are not making (no, that's not a typo, they're not making a party and we're not going), which means that my costume, if any, will probably be limited to a headdress of some sort or maybe just a humorous face covering embellishment. I don't expect the number of MM to be reduced as we just drop them off at people's doors, anyway.

As I'm sure some people will discard any MM that isn't in a sealed commercial package, I will probably not bother making hamantashen, which are the only homemade food I ever send. There is no evidence that food is a vector for the spread of COVID--it's the congregating around the tables that's the problem, which is why food is now served in grab-and-go form. With homemade food the real concern is fecal bacteria like E.coli and cold-flu viruses, especially when MM come from households with small children whose personal hygiene leaves something to be desired and who have a habit of touching everything they see, even when mommy says "don't touch, that's for MM."

You can get the same Purim costume I usually wear

HonesttoGod

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 9:51 am
It’s funny to see how many people are saying no homemade foods when a) that’s probably the lowest transfer rate of the virus and b) for me personally it always depends how it looks and who it’s from if I’ll eat it or not. Lol.

Where I live not much will be different. Covid is a long past “dream” of many here. Personally I will avoid large crowds, probably sit in the kitchen for the family meal, and outside for Megillah at Shul. With a mask. Thankful that it’s Friday though.

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 11:02 am
We never have or go to a big seuda. Unfortunately the little family we have - they better places to go to than to spend it with us. We still managed to catch Corona after last Purim. My son must have picked it up from the shul then we all got it.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics