Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Washed out/dull looking clothing

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 11:09 pm
Is it a problem with my machine or detergent (which I dont think so cuz I use all free and clear which is gentle)? Everything looks so washed out and dull. What could this be?

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 11:20 pm
Tide is harsh on dark clothing. What detergent do you use?
ETA: The dryer fades colors as well.

Last edited by ra_mom on Mon, Jan 18 2021, 11:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

momX4

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 11:21 pm
Do you put the clothing into the dryer? Pants, skirts, sweaters... shouldn't go into the dryer.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 18 2021, 11:26 pm
I use all free and clear.
No tops, skirts... doesnt get dried...

zaq

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 7:13 am
Could be detergent or fabric softener residue buildup. First, run the "tub clean" cycle on your washer, or simply run an empty load on hot water with bleach, no detergent. Then do your laundry the usual way but put plain white vinegar in the fabric softener compartment or add a cup of vinegar in the rinse cycle.

You could also be using water that's too hot, too much detergent, or washing too often or on too long a cycle. If you air-dry in the sun, fabrics will fade. Cotton will fade no matter what you do, and intensely colored cotton will look faded sooner than light pastels. Try washing in cold water on the shortest possible cycle unless the laundry is heavily soiled.

You could have hard water which is leaving mineral residue on the fabric. Skip the fabric softener and add a cup of plain vinegar to the rinse cycle every time you wash. Vinegar helps keep the minerals from depositing on the fabric.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 7:44 am
Are you using powder detergent or liquid? Powder will destroy clothes in no time.

Always use the coolest water setting that is effective. Cotton does not need to go on the highest setting unless you are dealing with serious stinky stuff.

Everyday washing like shells, dish cloths, and other things that are only lightly soiled, can go on "quick wash."

Always separate clothing by fabric as well as color. Do your towels separately, because they are abrasive and will make other clothes fade and pill up.

Use oxyclean or any other oxy laundry booster to keep colors and whites bright, and always wash blacks together. (That sounds so racist! Surprised "Separate clothes, not people.")

Fabric softeners and dryer sheets will wreak havoc on the insides of your machines, build up gunk, and shorten the life of your appliances. You don't need them, and they just add more chemicals to your life. Dryer balls work much better at keeping your clothes fluffy.

cuffs

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 8:10 am
The only things that get washed on warm are towels, underwear, socks, pajamas.
The rest gets washed on cold and hang to dry
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry