Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Wilkes Barre or Waterbury Yeshiva (Yeshiva Ateres Shmuel)

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 1:42 am
I know Wilkes Barre Yeshiva is Chabad but do both Yeshivas cater to the same types of boys? I am specifically looking for a more relaxed, shorter hour yeshiva for my ADHD not very enthusiastic about Judaism (right now atleast) 8th grader. Needs to have a dorm if anyone has any other suggestions. Otherwise he is BH a good boy.

amother
Jade

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 7:06 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I know Wilkes Barre Yeshiva is Chabad but do both Yeshivas cater to the same types of boys? I am specifically looking for a more relaxed, shorter hour yeshiva for my ADHD not very enthusiastic about Judaism (right now atleast) 8th grader. Needs to have a dorm if anyone has any other suggestions. Otherwise he is BH a good boy.

I don't know anything about wilkes barre yeshiva, but waterbury is not for good boys

amother
Gray

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 7:11 am
Wilkes Barre is for boys who are struggling with more than just Yiddishkeit. You can call them to find out more. There's another Chabad Yeshiva called JETS for boys who don't fit in the Yeshiva system and want to learn a trade but I think it's for older boys than 9th grade age

amother
cornflower

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 7:12 am
My brother is a good boy and he's in waterbury....

amother
cornflower

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 7:13 am
amother [ cornflower ] wrote:
My brother is a good boy and he's in waterbury....

Needs alot of help but wouldn't say he's a bad person

amother
Jade

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 7:15 am
amother [ cornflower ] wrote:
Needs alot of help but wouldn't say he's a bad person

I hv personal experience with the yeshiva and unfortunately a lot of stuff goes on there

amother
cornflower

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 7:32 am
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
I hv personal experience with the yeshiva and unfortunately a lot of stuff goes on there

I know what goes on but I was making it clear that kids aren't bad

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 7:37 am
Isn't waterbury full of drugs and boyfriends and girlfriends? I'd be surprised if some of the boys I know who are sent there are still frum down the line.

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 7:41 am
amother [ Jade ] wrote:

I have personal experience with the yeshiva and fortunately a lot of good goes on there too.

Waterbury yeshiva fills a role. Some boys do very well.
It's not for everybody.
OP talk to ppl in real life, preferably ppl that know your son and his struggles and know the yeshiva on the inside.
Look into rabbi wallerstein's yeshiva as well.

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 7:44 am
amother [ Crimson ] wrote:
Isn't waterbury full of drugs and boyfriends and girlfriends? I'd be surprised if some of the boys I know who are sent there are still frum down the line.

My son was in waterbury, he's currently learning full time in yeshiva in eretz yisrael. He's actually making a siyum on maseches megila in a few days!
Do you have personal experience with waterbury? Scratching Head

thanks

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 7:46 am

The success in waterberry is astounding. Rabbi kalish and all the staff have a tremendous zchus. They see only the good in every boy. Many of the boys come out very wholesome and shtark.

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 7:53 am
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
I don't know anything about wilkes barre yeshiva, but waterbury is not for good boys

My stepson is at Waterbury and he is a FANTASTIC boy, as are many others there. Life has pushed these boys down and your comment, and others in this thread, are what keeps them there. They have been so badly burnt by the in the box yeshiva system and yet THEY ARE IN A YESHIVA!! That is INSPIRING!

Yes, Waterbury has some boys who are currently dealing with drug issues or are just passed drug issues. Yes, some have girlfriends (would you call those girls "bad"? or only the boys?). BUT THEY CHOSE TO GO TO YESHIVA! They could be doing SO MANY OTHER THINGS and yet here they are!! Do you have ANY idea how many boys come out of there and go on to live upstanding lives and become contributing citizens of society? Many come out and decide to live frum lives.

My stepson was burnt by his mother's home, abused by one of his stepfathers and by many of his rabbonim in yeshiva (for the "good boys, right?) and his mother bounced him from school to school for years. He was in public school for some time and it was then that he decided that he wanted to try Waterbury. He made the choice on his own. True, he is not at this point keeping shabbos or kosher, but at least we know he won't be touched by the rabbis there, and at least he is in a supportive environment built for growth. My stepson has never touched a drug or cigarette and he does not drink. Can you say the same for the "good boys" in mainstream yeshivas? That they have never touched a cigarette?Maybe. Maybe not. Not too long ago, there was a thread here reacting to a story in Mishpacha where the rebbe provided alcohol for his 15 year old bochrim at the shabbos onegs at his home every week, and so many mothers here were totally ok with that. So those boys are "good"? They drink every Friday night. But my stepson and the other kids at Waterbury are not good?

It's time people realize the standard yeshiva system is not meeting the needs of everyone who is there, and yes, boys will come out of it and make bad choices. BH for Waterbury who will accept anyone, even the throwaway boys who amother Jade feels are not good. The time has to come when we will be happy for the kids who know they want to be in yeshiva and chose a place like Waterbury.

Same reply to you as what I wrote above.

I wonder if you take the percentage of boys from mainstream yeshivas and boys from Waterbury, how much the variance will be re: who is still frum later down the line. Many sadly leave the derech. The yeshiva system breaks many people. It's time to stop furthering the stigma and rumors of a place like Waterbury and thank Hashem for it.

amother
Salmon

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 7:53 am
Look into Eatontown yeshiva in Lakewood. Rabbi kaszirer is amazing. He literally turned boys around. It’s for boys that don’t have an interest in learning

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 8:44 am
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
My son was in waterbury, he's currently learning full time in yeshiva in eretz yisrael. He's actually making a siyum on maseches megila in a few days!
Do you have personal experience with waterbury? Scratching Head

Yes my brothers neighbor. Her kids use drugs and met more kids who use drugs there. They go to parties with boys and girls have girlfriends. Maybe they are a small representation. One graduate is in the Israeli army no longer shomer shabbos.

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 8:53 am
Yes my brothers neighbor. Her kids use drugs and met more kids who use drugs there. They go to parties with boys and girls have girlfriends. Maybe they are a small representation. One graduate is in the Israeli army no longer shomer shabbos.

What would you rather these boys do? They somehow ended up in this lifestyle. At least they went to Waterbury. Who knows what will happen to them later in life? Your brothers neighbor (sounds yentish but ok) - what was his home like that engendered an atmosphere where his kids found drugs? And what would you have suggested happen to the kids?

amother
Brown

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 9:45 am
My son went to waterbury. He was there for three years! The turnaround was amazing! My son has add and had been bullied in elementary school. He wasn't a bad kid no drugs, smoking or alcohol, but he struggled with being frum and learning.
The love and endless time the Rebbeim give their boys, the process they use, to help the boys with their self esteem, bringing them close to hashem, and Judaism, is amazing and works.
Does it work for everyone, no. No yeshiva fits all.
But today my son is Shomer Shabbos, learning in Israel because of Waterbury yeshiva, Rabbi Kalish and Reb Yitz Brownstein!

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 11:27 am
I know of a few boys that have completely turned around from waterbury yeshiva. They are now black hatters and learning. I think there is a mix of boys. I also know of Mesivta of Eatontown in lakewood. I think its smaller then waterbury and pple are extremley happy with it.

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 12:06 pm
What about Englewood?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children