Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Mother nature—WOW!!
1  2  Next

yo'ma

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 8:34 am
I was going to write hashems creations, but that’s too broad, so mother nature does the trick, I would think. Which mother nature do you look at the most and say WOW? I’ve been to the Grand Canyon, seen mountains, etc, but the thing that I find the most fascinating are waterfalls, especially huge ones like Niagara Falls. What about you?

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 8:45 am
These mountains in China look like they are from another planet. I wouldn't want to climb them, but they are very pretty to look at!

https://assets3.thrillist.com/.....e.jpg

Each mountain top has it's own ecosystem, and things live on each one that only exist in that specific place in the world. They are so isolated from the rest, that there has been no opportunity for variation. It's like every mountain is it's own tiny, genetic island.

DrMom

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 8:54 am
So many...

I always loved the idea of these recently-discovered caves in Mexico with giant gypsum crystals growing in them.

It's ~55C (131F) inside, so humans can only make short forays inside.

https://cen.acs.org/physical-c.....97/i6

GLUE

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 8:57 am
Trees I like to look at different types of trees

Redwoods are more then just trees they each have their own kingdom in the canopy.

zaq

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 8:58 am
Two places made me gasp on sight: Grand Canyon and Niagara Falls. I adore waterfalls of any size or height, manmade or natural.

I'm fascinated by the way vacant lots of soil, rubble or even bare rock gradually turn into meadows and then forests if left alone (climate permitting).

elsily

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 8:58 am
It’s hard to choose just one, but I would say my favorite is the beautiful display of every sunrise and sunset over an ocean. Deep reds, oranges, pinks, purples, reflecting off the water. Just amazing.

DrMom

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 8:59 am
I've been here (Plitvice Park in Croatia) and thought it looked like a fairly-land.

Notsobusy

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 9:00 am
I love sunsets. Even in my own backyard. There's something incredible about all the different colors, and how they keep changing. And then every night is a new stunning show with a different set of colors.

My kids know that if they say "Ma, come check out the sky", I'll drop everything to come see.

I also love those huge harvest moons. Some nights they're so low it looks like you can almost reach them.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 9:04 am
There is so much beauty in the world, it's hard to pick just one! I absolutely adore nature of all kinds. I can't think of a single place that is "ugly", as long as it's natural.

I could get entranced just looking at a single flower or butterfly. Sometimes the really tiny details are the most awe inspiring.

yo'ma

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 9:06 am
elsily wrote:
It’s hard to choose just one, but I would say my favorite is the beautiful display of every sunrise and sunset over an ocean. Deep reds, oranges, pinks, purples, reflecting off the water. Just amazing.

Recently I was traveling during sunrise and the sun was absolutely stunning!! There wasn’t much colors around it, but the sun itself was a huge gorgeous red circle.

paperflowers

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 9:08 am
When I flew from New York to California, I was awed by the ever changing geography beneath me. Great Lakes! Rocky Mountains! Lush green forests! Dessert rock formations! Each one incredible on its own. Put together, I felt truly blessed to live on this beautiful Earth.

I don’t know if I could choose one thing.

Crookshanks

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 9:08 am
Frantic Frummie, those mountains are gorgeous!! They look absolutely ethereal.

yo'ma

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 9:10 am
I forgot, I’ve flown over the Andes and the sight is breathtaking! But it is scary because it’s pretty close and it feels like you can almost touch it.

DrMom

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 9:18 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
I can't think of a single place that is "ugly", as long as it's natural.

Yes, absolutely.

[Unless "place" can mean a human armpit, a warthog's nostril, etc.]

corolla

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 9:24 am
Mountains, any mountains. Rockies, Alps, Himalayas. They are breathtaking. But there needs to be some green involved, such as forests. Bonus points if there's a lake. Any combination of snow caps, green forest, and clear blue sky, and I'm good.
DH and I went to Sequoia recently and it was absolutely stunning. Still on my list is Banff National Park in Canada and Switzerland.

corolla

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 9:26 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
These mountains in China look like they are from another planet. I wouldn't want to climb them, but they are very pretty to look at!

https://assets3.thrillist.com/.....e.jpg

Each mountain top has it's own ecosystem, and things live on each one that only exist in that specific place in the world. They are so isolated from the rest, that there has been no opportunity for variation. It's like every mountain is it's own tiny, genetic island.

Wow. This looks like something out of a video game or epic fantasy.

Genius

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 9:46 am
This thread is making me so happy!!
I love the sight of untouched snow

Lydia

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 3:13 am
The sun and moon, despite their vast size difference, are positioned exactly so that from Earth they appear to be the same size. During a solar eclipse, the moon nearly exactly "covers up" the sun. It's completely astounding!

Siriusly?

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 7:06 am
Over the Pesach lockdown, I watched the BBC Planet Earth II documentary. It's shot beautifully and narrated by the one and only Sir David Attenborough, and was a really incredible chol hamoed "trip"! Each episode focuses on one ecosystem, like forests, deserts, mountains, etc, and it truly brings out the niflaos haborei. Highly recommend.

yo'ma

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 9:43 am
This came up on my google page yesterday.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics