Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Easy soups (like with frozen veggies)
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 9:09 am
Hi,
Looking for really easy but yummy soup recipes. Would love some that incorporate frozen veggies or precut veggies or cans. I don’t want to be cutting and dicing.

TIA!

amother
White

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 9:31 am
Heat oil, pour a bag of mixed vegetables in and saute. Add boiling water and spices, lower and cook. You can also add 1/2 cup barley, 1 cup of lentils or a can of white beans for a heartier soup.
After about 25 minutes, blend with an immersion blender, if you like smooth soup.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 9:43 am
I do a variety of easy, fast soups.

Sautee chunks of onion. Add bag of frozen brocolli. Cover with water. Boil over medium heat until soft. Blend with a hand blender. Add salt , pepper and garlic powder to taste.

I do this with cauliflower or chunks of zucchini (skin on, no peeling required) I will add a potato or 2 for extra creaminess (sorry, peeling required here) in any of these combos.

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 9:44 am
I like making Butternut squash soup from Confused frozen cubes. Saute onion, then add squash and water. Salt and pepper. Other spices optional. Apple optional.
Sprinkle seeds in before serving.

Last edited by amother on Thu, Feb 04 2021, 9:25 am; edited 1 time in total

Conscience

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 10:30 am
Love corn soup. Roast a bag of frozen corn. saute onion. Add corn, spices, and water. Bring to boil, lower and simmer. I liek to blend lightly just enough to feel parts of the corn, but not all.

simcha2

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 10:34 am
Chinese corn soup

1 can creamed corn
1 can water (fill the empty corn can)
2 tsp chicken soup powder
1/2 tsp sesame oil

Bring first 3 ingredients to a boil, simmer 5 minutes. Add sesame oil.

I sometimes thicken a little with cornstarch.

Last edited by simcha2 on Tue, Jan 19 2021, 12:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 10:37 am
I make bean soup. Roughly cut an onion (sorry, don't know a way around this), lightly saute in some oil in a pot. Pour in 2-4 cans of beans (I like to use 2 colors of kidney beans), and about 1/4 to 1/3 jar of mild salsa. Add water, spices to taste. My kids love it!

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 10:40 am
Tomato sauce
Milk or water, or a mixture of the two
Frozen or canned vegetables
Leftover cooked rice or pasta, or raw if you don't have leftover.
You can add leftover or raw brown lentils too if you want a one pot meal.

Season. Boil.
Top bowls with shredded cheese.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 11:43 am
Some great ideas here! Thanks all!

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 1:40 pm
Minestrone soup with chopped onion, crushed garlic cubes, peas & carrots, green beans (all frozen), and cans of diced tomatoes, tomato paste, and white beans. Add in fresh spinach leaves and raw tiny pasta last 10 minutes.

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 1:48 pm
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:
Tomato sauce
Milk or water, or a mixture of the two
Frozen or canned vegetables
Leftover cooked rice or pasta, or raw if you don't have leftover.
You can add leftover or raw brown lentils too if you want a one pot meal.

Season. Boil.
Top bowls with shredded cheese.

Can you give some more specifics? I like this, my kids also will.
What size pot? How many cans of tomato sauce, what size cans? How many bags of frozen or canned veggies? What type? How much milk/water?
Thanks!

Pink Flamingo

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 1:50 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Minestrone soup with chopped onion, crushed garlic cubes, peas & carrots, green beans (all frozen), and cans of diced tomatoes, tomato paste, and white beans. Add in fresh spinach leaves and raw tiny pasta last 10 minutes.

I have a bag of frozen peas, carrots, corn and green beans. Would that work for this soup? and do you think I can add chopped celery and zucchini also?

Also, how many cans of diced tomatoes and how much tomato paste?

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 3:25 pm
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
Can you give some more specifics? I like this, my kids also will.
What size pot? How many cans of tomato sauce, what size cans? How many bags of frozen or canned veggies? What type? How much milk/water?
Thanks!

It a very forgiving soup. I usually just dump in and taste. I'll try and guess amounts here.
I make it in a 6 qt pot and it is full to the top. 1-2 cans tomato sauce (29 oz each), depending on what else you put in. Double the amount of milk/water mixture to tomato sauce so it is a 1:2 ratio. This is a great way to use up extra milk! Just be careful when using milk that it doesn't burn. I will add it at the beginning if all the starch and lentils are precooked. If I am using raw then I cook those in water plus sauce and top it up with milk at the end. I put in a 1 lb bag of mixed frozen peas and carrots. If I want it supper thick without much liquid, 1 lb pasta like macaroni or you can use spaghetti cut into small bite size pieces. If you rather more soup liquid then do 2/3 - 3/4 lb. You can customize the type and amounts of vegetables and pasta to your family's taste.
My kids lick their bowl clean every time I make it! Definitely a favorite here and speedy fast to make too. I usually make extra pasta or rice earlier on in the week for another meal and plan to use the extra for this soup so it really is a dump in the pot, mix and heat thing. Once all ingredients are hot enough to melt the cheese it is ready.

tichellady

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 3:52 pm
You can make pumpkin soup with canned pumpkin and a good broth and coconut milk and some good seasoning

amf

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 4:26 pm
Split pea soup: boil 7-8 c water, season with white pepper, salt, a lot of minced onion
Add 1 c split peas (you can do half c green half c yellow) and cook on low for a while
Bonus if you add in a sliced carrot. (Frozen would probably work too but I never tried it).
It gets really thick and hearty the longer you cook it. If you want it 100% smooth, soak the split peas in the morning or the night before.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 4:29 pm
Do you have a pressure cooker? If so, I can give you several VERY easy recipes.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 4:33 pm
Pink Flamingo wrote:
I have a bag of frozen peas, carrots, corn and green beans. Would that work for this soup? and do you think I can add chopped celery and zucchini also?

Also, how many cans of diced tomatoes and how much tomato paste?

14 oz can diced tomatoes, 4 Tbsp tomato paste. Don't forget onion, garlic, oregano, bay leaves, pinch sugar, salt and pepper. Of course add the celery and zucchini. Don't forget the pasta. And if you have, add a drain canned of white beans.

amother
Lavender

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 4:46 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Do you have a pressure cooker? If so, I can give you several VERY easy recipes.

My Instant Pot is a lifesaver! Just set it and forget it.

amother
cornflower

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 4:48 pm
I buy precut veg in the local store, though one of them puts in tons of turnips so I pick those out.
If I'm feeling ambitious I'll sautee an onion & even some garlic. If not, some minced onion. I might saute the veg, but I might not. Also I find most stores skimpy on the carrots, so I often add some. Sometimes I think I should just buy the pre-cut carrots & celery bec I'm not that fond of their mixtures, but I do whatever is fastest.

Also if in the mood I dice the veg further. Otherwise I don't bother but I mash some of the veg. I don't puree because we prefer a chunky soup.

For two containers of veg, I add a few bay leaves & cover w water. Cook til soft & then mash a bit.

I like a parsley cube & sometimes a dill cube. DH does not like green stuff so I put in my own bowl.
I add some soy milk to my bowl.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 4:50 pm
You can also sauté frozen chopped onion and garlic with 2 bags of frozen 3 color California cauliflower rice bits. Add barley and cook until tender.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics