Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Moving from Monsey to Montreal
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 5:54 pm
I have family in Montreal and the lifestyle there seems very laid back and pretty much what our family is looking for , has anyone done such a move? Btw we are chassidish

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 5:56 pm
I’m not chassidish so I’m not sure I would be much help, one thing I do want to say is: WELCOME Very Happy Very Happy

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 5:58 pm
We have many families who have moved here from NY, Eretz Yisroel etc.
You would be very welcome!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 6:00 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
I’m not chassidish so I’m not sure I would be much help, one thing I do want to say is: WELCOME Very Happy Very Happy
it's nice to know that the people in the community are accepting of others , how's the situation with schools? Better than In Monsey? Not op from the other thread btw just going through same situation

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 6:04 pm
From my Chassidish family members living there, I know that you will likely not find a pediatrician. or general doctor, for that matter.
We had been seriously considering such a move some years ago, and the lack of access to competent medical care was the deciding factor.

amother
Beige

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 6:06 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
it's nice to know that the people in the community are accepting of others , how's the situation with schools? Better than In Monsey? Not op from the other thread btw just going through same situation

If you are moving uptown, there is chabad and braid yakov. Downtown you have satmar, belz, skver..

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 6:06 pm
Where do your relatives send to school? That is generally the easiest path.
Belz generally accepts only Belz.
Skver, Satmar and Viznitz are welcoming if you are typical chassidish.
Do you belong to a chassidus? Bobov & Klausenburg tend to send to Viznitz. The Bobov Rebbetzin is on the Vaad of the Viznitz school.

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 6:07 pm
How hard is it for Americans to get Canadian citizenship? I thought it wasn't so easy. Or are you planning on doing something else? I'm not familiar with Canadian immigration policies but would love to be enlightened.

amother
Brown

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 6:10 pm
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
From my Chassidish family members living there, I know that you will likely not find a pediatrician. or general doctor, for that matter.
We had been seriously considering such a move some years ago, and the lack of access to competent medical care was the deciding factor.

You can contact refuah vachesed of Montreal and they will help you with all your medical needs. Don’t worry. That shouldn’t be your main concern.

https://refuahvchesed.org

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 6:11 pm
amother [ Lime ] wrote:

There is now a medical clinic in the chassidishe community that provides access to excellent , same-day, medical care. It's called Refuah V'Chessed. There is also a provincial matching program that ensures that everyone has a family doctor. The chassidishe community generally doesn't use this system because everyone wants to use the same doctors..... Hence the handful of pediatricians used by the community are so loaded with patients that they no longer accept new families.

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 6:13 pm
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
How hard is it for Americans to get Canadian citizenship? I thought it wasn't so easy. Or are you planning on doing something else? I'm not familiar with Canadian immigration policies but would love to be enlightened.

If you are the child or spouse of a citizen, it is very simple. Otherwise, it is complex and difficult.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 6:17 pm
Iv heard about lot of people that moved to ny from Montreal but not the other way around , isn't it difficult to come in to ny for so many necessaries like gandg for men's suits etc

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 6:21 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Iv heard about lot of people that moved to ny from Montreal but not the other way around , isn't it difficult to come in to ny for so many necessaries like gandg for men's suits etc

I guesstimate that the number of families moving to NY is about equal to the number who are moving from NY. Shopping has become a lot easier recently. More stores have opened and we can get mostly everything we need. Otherwise, we shop when we visit NY for simchas.

amother
Lavender

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 6:24 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I know people who have done it and love it.

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 6:36 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Really most things can be bought here already. I can’t think of anything at the moment I don’t have accessible here. My DH just bought new suits and hats. My sheitels, shoes, clothing are all bought locally. If there is something you need to buy from NY it’s still worth the lifestyle you are getting in Montreal:) We love it here so much.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 6:37 pm
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:
I know people who have done it and love it.
isn't the healthcare system entirely different than In ny? Dentist cost a fortune , no private insurance

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 6:39 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
isn't the healthcare system entirely different than In ny? Dentist cost a fortune , no private insurance

Yes the healthcare is different. Dental is only covered until age 10. I personally do have private insurance on top of the social Medicare. Me and DH each have $1500 worth of dental covered a year. My kids are all still free.

I don’t think the healthcare should be something you are making your decision on.

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 6:41 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
Really most things can be bought here already. I can’t think of anything at the moment I don’t have accessible here. My DH just bought new suits and hats. My sheitels, shoes, clothing are all bought locally. If there is something you need to buy from NY it’s still worth the lifestyle you are getting in Montreal:) We love it here so much.

Chassidish menswear is still not easily available. The dry goods store on Parc Avenue does sell a limited line now. A chassidish mens' hat store recently opened. Shtreimels have always been available (Krausz is local). The new Judaica store on Parc now sells tefillin and tallis bags as well as talleisim etc.. Many people still make the trip to NY to outfit a chosson or bar mitzvah bochur, but it's entirely possible to do it locally now.

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 6:42 pm
amother [ Coral ] wrote:

99% of the people I know either they or their spouse are Canadian, or they came as part of one of the kollels and got in with a student visa.

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 6:44 pm
amother [ Bisque ] wrote:
Chassidish menswear is still not easily available. The dry goods store on Parc Avenue does sell a limited line now. A chassidish mens' hat store recently opened. Shtreimels have always been available (Krausz is local). The new Judaica store on Parc now sells tefillin and tallis bags as well as talleisim etc.. Many people still make the trip to NY to outfit a chosson or bar mitzvah bochur, but it's entirely possible to do it locally now.

Ok, I’m not chassidish so I really don’t know about those things. We live in the devimy area and my husband can get whatever he needs locally. Family dry goods even brings in the non iron shirts he likes. We used to get those in Lakewood.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating