Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Easy soups (like with frozen veggies)
Previous  1  2

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 1:51 pm
tichellady wrote:
You can make pumpkin soup with canned pumpkin and a good broth and coconut milk and some good seasoning

Have you done canned pumpkin soup? I find the natural canned purée only tastes good in pie.

yksraya

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 1:52 pm
They also sell canned ready sauteed onions. I never tried it for soup tho.

I did make split pea soup out of frozen peas and carrots.

mfhr

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 2:17 pm
amother [ Lawngreen ] wrote:
I do a variety of easy, fast soups.

Sautee chunks of onion. Add bag of frozen brocolli. Cover with water. Boil over medium heat until soft. Blend with a hand blender. Add salt , pepper and garlic powder to taste.

I do this with cauliflower or chunks of zucchini (skin on, no peeling required) I will add a potato or 2 for extra creaminess (sorry, peeling required here) in any of these combos.

So I do exactly these as well but I used 3 garlic cubes instead of garlic powder added them in after sautéing the onions and the flavor is not comparable to garlic powder additionally sometimes instead of water I just put in one carton of non chicken chicken broth and it brings it up a notch in flavor

tichellady

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 2:19 pm
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
Have you done canned pumpkin soup? I find the natural canned purée only tastes good in pie.

Yes I have. I have done a Thai one with lemon grass

CatLady

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 2:26 pm
I also make soup from frozen butternut squash, only I saute curry powder along with the onions, ginger and garlic. Now I'll be trying it with the can of pumpkin I have on hand.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 2:30 pm
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:
My Instant Pot is a lifesaver! Just set it and forget it.

Especially for soups.

White bean soup.

Saute 1 diced onion, 3 diced carrots, 4 diced celery in oil for 7 minutes.

Add 4 cloves garlic, some oregano, saute 30 seconds.

Add 8 cups vegetable broth, 1 bag dried white beans (anything will work, but it says cannellini).

Cook under pressure for 50 minutes.

Allow pressure to release, then use stick blender, leaving some chunks.

I do this so its finished just before lighting, leave it on keep warm, and turn the sound off in the Instant Pot.

Split pea soup is even easier.

6 cups water or broth, 1 sleeve green split peas, 1 diced onion, 1 potato sliced thin, 1 diced carrot, 2 diced celery, 1 bay leaf, 1 tsp smoked paprika, a bit of coconut oil if you want. Dump it all in, pressure for 15 minutes, natural release at least 20, enjoy.

Fiveboyz

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 3:37 pm
Great ideas ! Anyone have a tried and true onion soup ? Can be either dairy or pareve
Thanks

mfhr

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 3:38 pm
I have a very good one will post
Soon

meiravit

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 3:41 pm
Conscience wrote:
Love corn soup. Roast a bag of frozen corn. saute onion. Add corn, spices, and water. Bring to boil, lower and simmer. I liek to blend lightly just enough to feel parts of the corn, but not all.

This sounds delicious! How do you roast the corn?

Rosemarie

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 3:58 pm
I saw a brilliant idea in the Ami Whisk last week. There was a recipe for veggie split pea soup, with a hack. I don't like split pea, but I tried it with just veggies and it worked amazing. I sauted an onion (just as long as it took me to peel the carrots and slice the celery), then put in whole peeled carrots and whole zucchini, and chopped celery. Cover with water. Cook till soft. Then take potato masher and roughly mash the vegetables. They become chopped as though you spent all that time chopping vegetables for the soup, but it took a second. Then spice however you like. I put salt, pepper, parsley cubes, and some consomme.
You can do this with any combination of vegetables you like.

If you want, I can try to post the original recipe from the magazine

yksraya

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 4:06 pm
Fiveboyz wrote:
Great ideas ! Anyone have a tried and true onion soup ? Can be either dairy or pareve
Thanks

4 large onions- thinly sliced (I cut them in half, and cut into half circles, or thin stripes opposite direction of circles)
4-6 tablespoons butter or oil

In pot, Fry on high flame stirring it every few min, for approx 10-15 min, till lightly browned.

Add 2-3 tablespoons onion soup mix, and mix well.

Add 6-8 cups of hot water (boiled, or from percolator).

Add 5 bay leaves (whole leaves).

Add salt and pepper.

When it boils up, lower flame and simmer for 10-15 min.

shanie5

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 4:34 pm
Shepherds pie soup. You do have to brown the beef and onion, but its really simple. (I dont use beef broth, just add some extra spices for flavor)
https://www.mrfood.com/Soup-Re.....-Soup

Chili beef soup. Again, all you have to do is brown the meat and onions. Rest comes from cans.
https://www.food.com/recipe/ch.....78995

MiriFr

Post Tue, Jan 19 2021, 6:10 pm
Minestrone soup-
Boil tomato sauce and water.
Add some frozen broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots (comes together in a bag. Can’t remember what it’s called. California something...?)
Add handful cooked kidney beans.
Add some pasta 10 min before it’s done.
Season with salt, pepper, and garlic.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics