Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Hesitant to test? Don’t want to know? Or something else
1  2  3  Next

If you have corona symptoms, did/will you test?
Yes  
 59%  [ 55 ]
No  
 34%  [ 32 ]
Other (explain)  
 6%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 93

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 5:42 am
I am having trouble understanding why a lot of imas seem like they don’t want to get tested even when they have symptoms or have been exposed? And they don’t ask their family or friends to get tested when they’re sick? My family and I have been tested so many times out of extra caution to make sure we aren’t spreading it asymptomatically. Anytime we have symptoms like sore throat, we get tested. It’s just a quick swab in the nose and it’s free. Even my 3 yr old doesn’t mind it. Can someone please explain to me the hesitation? You don’t want to know because then you have to quarantine (which means you’re spreading it around if you don’t quarantine)? I don’t understand.

Simple1

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 5:59 am
I would test if I suspected symptoms.

But I feel differently than you. It is a bother. My kids who are older did find the test to be very uncomfortable. (Sometimes it was no big deal depending on who does it and how aggressive the nurse is.) And it also takes up a lot of time that people don't have.

My other fear was catching Carona because you're waiting in line with sick people. So I don't want to test just because why not.

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 6:01 am
I've had a sore throat on and off for the past month or so, I chalk it up to the winter air and dryness of my apartment. Obviously not running to test every time it hurts a little more because I think this is just how I am...

amother
Linen

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 6:02 am
I was like you until we caught it. Now I won't test because I will assume it is not covid, at least for a few months.

I wonder if the positivity rate is going up as more people get it because people who had it are not running to test constantly, and adding to the negative ratio.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 6:08 am
amother [ Linen ] wrote:
I was like you until we caught it. Now I won't test because I will assume it is not covid, at least for a few months.

I wonder if the positivity rate is going up as more people get it because people who had it are not running to test constantly, and adding to the negative ratio.

I don’t think so, bc you can get it twice. I know multiple people who had it twice.

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 6:14 am
In my kids school they're pretty strict about quarantine and will close a class (and go on zoom) if a student or teacher in that class has a positive test. However, any students or teachers who had a positive test within the last three months can continue going to school as usual, and they provide full supervision obviously. So that's a real incentive for parents to test symptomatic or exposed children.

amother
Linen

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 6:53 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I don’t think so, bc you can get it twice. I know multiple people who had it twice.

Yes, but not within 3 months. Besides, I'm sure there are many people who say I had it on March, I can't get it again, and don't test.

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 6:54 am
Simple1 wrote:
I would test if I suspected symptoms.

But I feel differently than you. It is a bother. My kids who are older did find the test to be very uncomfortable. (Sometimes it was no big deal depending on who does it and how aggressive the nurse is.) And it also takes up a lot of time that people don't have.

My other fear was catching Carona because you're waiting in line with sick people. So I don't want to test just because why not.

Do you really?
Not the case by me. You make an appointment. You drive up into the little drive through around the time of your appointment. You roll down your window and stick your head out. The nurse in full PPE swabs you. You drive away and they call you in 24-72 hours.

Could not be easier.

Please test. By not testing you run the risk of not getting antibody treatment early enough and spreading it to others.

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 6:56 am
I am like you, inclined to test to be sure whenever there are symptoms; I don't want to ch"v infect other people. But unfortunately I have family members who feel differently, which makes for a lot of stress every time this comes up (unfortunately all too often recently!) The reasons they are afraid to test:
-everyone in the family has to stay home when someone has a pending Covid test (which can take a few days every time)
-they have a fear of false positives (which I keep telling them is irrational because there are very few false positive and many more false negatives)

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 7:20 am
I'm not sure how to vote. I also feel that people should test whenever there's any concern to help prevent further spread.
I'm very high risk and am really locked-down. My only exposures are my family household members. They are VERY careful but have more exposure than I do (my husband goes masked to an uncrowded store, my children play with friends outdoors, etc.). After many months of no colds/viruses/strep (very atypical in my family - one nice outcome of a very horrible situation), a cold finally made it's way into my home and I was rather unwell (fever, cough, wheezing - pretty typical with a cold for me but definitely could be COVID symptoms). Testing centers in my area are not drive through and my doctor felt that it was too risky for me to go if it was unnecessary. He recommended that my husband and kids (some of whom had milder cold symptoms, some did not) all test - rapid and PCR. Since they were all negative, he was comfortable saying that I could not have contracted COVID on my own.

JD03

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 7:30 am
I had symptoms about 6/7 months ago. Didn't test at the time because I figured it was COVID due to having lost my sense of taste completely-a symptom I'd never had before, and I knew that I wasn't a candidate for any treatments because my symptoms were so minor.
After the fact, I did get tested for antibodies, because I was curious. The test came back positive.
Unless a person is in the high-risk category, or they have severe symptoms that require treatment, I don't see the point in testing?
As an aside, my sister was feeling bad, like a bad case of flu bad, and she contacted her doctor to ask if she should be tested. He told her no, that it was pointless. Unless she felt really bad or had difficulty breathing, she should just stay home and rest up.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 7:36 am
JD03 wrote:
I had symptoms about 6/7 months ago. Didn't test at the time because I figured it was COVID due to having lost my sense of taste completely-a symptom I'd never had before, and I knew that I wasn't a candidate for any treatments because my symptoms were so minor.
After the fact, I did get tested for antibodies, because I was curious. The test came back positive.
Unless a person is in the high-risk category, or they have severe symptoms that require treatment, I don't see the point in testing?
As an aside, my sister was feeling bad, like a bad case of flu bad, and she contacted her doctor to ask if she should be tested. He told her no, that it was pointless. Unless she felt really bad or had difficulty breathing, she should just stay home and rest up.

Reason to test is so you can tell the people you were in contact with that you’re positive so they can get tested and not spread it if they’re positive too. It’s not just about you in this situation.

JD03

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 7:45 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Reason to test is so you can tell the people you were in contact with that you’re positive so they can get tested and not spread it if they’re positive too. It’s not just about you in this situation.

If I was feeling badly, and I knew of someone high-risk in my circle, I'd tell them. That wasn't the case for me.
If it were, I'd just tell that person that it's possible I have COVID, and they should get tested if they feel it's necessary. I don't see the point of a test. And honestly, going outside for a test, while I'm symptomatic, doesn't that run the risk of me spreading it more if I do have it?

Edited to add- in my community the test is only available at a doctor's office. Doing driveby testing with minimal contact isn't an option.

amother
Orchid

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 7:54 am
JD03 wrote:
If I was feeling badly, and I knew of someone high-risk in my circle, I'd tell them. That wasn't the case for me.
If it were, I'd just tell that person that it's possible I have COVID, and they should get tested if they feel it's necessary. I don't see the point of a test. And honestly, going outside for a test, while I'm symptomatic, doesn't that run the risk of me spreading it more if I do have it?

Edited to add- in my community the test is only available at a doctor's office. Doing driveby testing with minimal contact isn't an option.

Are you sure you know the health status of everyone in your circles? Isn't it possible that someone had chemotherapy, or has diabetes or MS and didn't tell you about it? These things don't always come up in casual conversation.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 7:59 am
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:
Are you sure you know the health status of everyone in your circles? Isn't it possible that someone had chemotherapy, or has diabetes or MS and didn't tell you about it? These things don't always come up in casual conversation.

Right, seems unfair to make health decisions for other people.

JD03

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 8:03 am
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:

You're right. But I don't think it would've been possible for me to contact every single person I've had contact with on the off chance that they might be high risk.
Those closest to me, the ones I had the most exposure to, they knew I was feeling bad and possibly had covid. Others not so close, whom I'd had minimal/casual contact with, I doubt I'd have even remembered how and when we'd crossed paths throughout the time I was in the carrier period.
I know it sounds awful. And is unfair. But maybe high-risk people should take extra precautions? I'd have remembered if someone I knew was hyper-cautious and would have reached out to them with a warning. Maybe high-risk people should take periodic tests as a precaution? Take certain vitamins/meds as a precaution? I don't know. But I still don't see how me getting tested and knowing for sure I'm covid positive would've changed anything.

Crookshanks

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 8:05 am
I wouldn't test because we test every few months for antibodies (and Covid) and as long as they're still high, I'm not running scared if I get a cold in the winter.

amother
Green

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 8:09 am
Op I’m not sure what the point of your poll is if you are just telling everyone who doesn’t agree with you how wrong they are. What exactly is your agenda here?

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 8:11 am
JD03 wrote:

How do you know how long to stay home if you aren't sure what you have?

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 8:15 am
I wouldn't test every time because not everything is covid. If there was a reasonable assumption that it might be, I would test.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics