Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Bais Rivka Rochel in Lakewood
1  2  Next

lovingmomof3

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 12:39 pm
Can anyone tell me about this school?
What does the parent body look like?
Are there any heimish chassidish families there?
Thanks

Last edited by lovingmomof3 on Wed, Jan 20 2021, 1:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

keym

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 12:55 pm
It's mostly old-time Lakewood. Yeshivish. Maybe some Heimish.
Very hard to get into because between siblings, staff, and now alumni kids, the classes are pretty full.

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 1:03 pm
Mostly very yeshivish -fathers learning type, there a bit of yeshivish-heimish but not more than a handful of chassidish-heimish. (not sure what chassidish lite is, if you mean cooler type than theres none of those. Its a very uncool type of school)

lovingmomof3

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 1:15 pm
Thanks for the replies.
What are the reviews on this school? What is the atmosphere there? Is it well run?

lovingmomof3

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 1:16 pm
amother [ Ginger ] wrote:
Mostly very yeshivish -fathers learning type, there a bit of yeshivish-heimish but not more than a handful of chassidish-heimish. (not sure what chassidish lite is, if you mean cooler type than theres none of those. Its a very uncool type of school)

I edited my post. It was wrong terminology.

lovingmomof3

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 1:17 pm
keym wrote:
It's mostly old-time Lakewood. Yeshivish. Maybe some Heimish.
Very hard to get into because between siblings, staff, and now alumni kids, the classes are pretty full.

My daughter will be going in to 5th grade next year.

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 1:17 pm
You are not going to find too many parents that send on here. Whoever I know that sends there do not have smartphones or internet in the house.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 1:20 pm
lovingmomof3 wrote:
Thanks for the replies.
What are the reviews on this school? What is the atmosphere there? Is it well run?

Very nice atmosphere, well-run school.

I know quite a few heimish people who send there.

amother
Cobalt

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 1:34 pm
Can't tell you much because my daughter is in primary.
Her Morah this year is amazing. Hartzig and warm and super in touch with where the girls are at.
She learns a lot in Yiddish. Parsha songs, instructions, phrases are all sprinkled with a lot of Yiddish.
Bais Rivka Rochel is very popular in my neighborhood. Mostly Yeshivish and learning type, but have some of the more Heimish as well.
There is a certain expectation of the parent body to meet a certain standard.
Hatzlacha!

keym

Chayalle wrote:
Very nice atmosphere, well-run school.

I know quite a few heimish people who send there.

I think we all need to clarify Heimish because it means different things to different people.
The Heimish families I know who send there come from Galicianer roots, nussach sefard, don't eat gebrochts. Maybe the father would wear a bekishe on Shabbos with a down hat.
Their sons do the same.
I don't know of any streimlach in BRR and not that many up hats.
The father often learned somewhere like Novominsk before coming to BMG, and maybe has a Chassidishe havorah from his time in Cheder.

This is not a judgement thing at all. Just pointing OP how I'm defining Heimish.

The school itself is taught entirely Litvishe, with an oy. I think they daven nussach ashkenaz (though I may be wrong).

lovingmomof3

amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
Can't tell you much because my daughter is in primary.
Her Morah this year is amazing. Hartzig and warm and super in touch with where the girls are at.
She learns a lot in Yiddish. Parsha songs, instructions, phrases are all sprinkled with a lot of Yiddish.
Bais Rivka Rochel is very popular in my neighborhood. Mostly Yeshivish and learning type, but have some of the more Heimish as well.
There is a certain expectation of the parent body to meet a certain standard.
Hatzlacha!

Ty

lovingmomof3

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 1:36 pm
keym wrote:
I think we all need to clarify Heimish because it means different things to different people.
The Heimish families I know who send there come from Galicianer roots, nussach sefard, don't eat gebrochts. Maybe the father would wear a bekishe on Shabbos with a down hat.
Their sons do the same.
I don't know of any streimlach in BRR and not that many up hats.
The father often learned somewhere like Novominsk before coming to BMG, and maybe has a Chassidishe havorah from his time in Cheder.

This is not a judgement thing at all. Just pointing OP how I'm defining Heimish.

The school itself is taught entirely Litvishe, with an oy. I think they daven nussach ashkenaz (though I may be wrong).

Thank you for the clarification. Very helpful!

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 2:23 pm
It's similar to bnos melech, minus the full blown heimish like keym said. Tights in primary I believe.

keym

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 2:32 pm
amother [ Silver ] wrote:
It's similar to bnos melech, minus the full blown heimish like keym said. Tights in primary I believe.

Bnos Melech isn't really full blown Heimish. Mostly really yeshivish just not necessarily old Lakewood families.

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 2:38 pm
keym wrote:
Bnos Melech isn't really full blown Heimish. Mostly really yeshivish just not necessarily old Lakewood families.
they have a lot of full blown heimish too. It's a mix. I taught there at one point.

keym

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 2:45 pm
amother [ Silver ] wrote:
they have a lot of full blown heimish too. It's a mix. I taught there at one point.

When?
From what I understand they and BRR DID have more Chassidishe and Heimish families, but as more Chassidishe and Heimish schools started opening up like Bnos Hadassa, Bais Hachinuch and others, you have fewer Heimish families.
This is what my neighbors and family who send to both places tell me.

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 3:26 pm
All in all great school BUT: If your daughter doesn't know any Yiddish, and has a hard time picking up languages, know that they teitch to yiddish in lower elementary. One of my daughter's who is otherwise very bright, had a very difficult time with that. She had an amazing Morah in primary, but she told all her stories in Yiddish, and my daughter would come home crying that she couldn't understand the story. Another thing is that although most of the teachers are top-notch, they hire some fresh out of Seminary English teachers. Two of them, who both happened to be single, were really nasty (one became much nicer after she got engagedlol!).

oneofakind

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 3:27 pm
Very difficult if not impossible to get in. Try a newer school.

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 3:31 pm
amother [ Cerise ] wrote:
All in all great school BUT: If your daughter doesn't know any Yiddish, and has a hard time picking up languages, know that they teitch to yiddish in lower elementary. One of my daughter's who is otherwise very bright, had a very difficult time with that. She had an amazing Morah in primary, but she told all her stories in Yiddish, and my daughter would come home crying that she couldn't understand the story. Another thing is that although most of the teachers are top-notch, they hire some fresh out of Seminary English teachers. Two of them, who both happened to be single, were really nasty (one became much nicer after she got engagedlol!).
All the Lakewood schools hire the same teachers for the most part. I’ve worked in lots of schools and that could have happened anywhere.

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 3:32 pm
keym wrote:
When?
From what I understand they and BRR DID have more Chassidishe and Heimish families, but as more Chassidishe and Heimish schools started opening up like Bnos Hadassa, Bais Hachinuch and others, you have fewer Heimish families.
This is what my neighbors and family who send to both places tell me.
Recent but now that I think of it the heimish families were more in the older grades. So did they send their younger girls to a different school? That’s interesting.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries