Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars
Wayfair velvet couch

smilethere1

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 6:56 pm
Anyone buy a velvet couch on wayfair? How is the quality? They are so much cheaper then everywhere else wondering if its worth the gamble.

lk1234

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 7:31 pm
smilethere1 wrote:
Anyone buy a velvet couch on wayfair? How is the quality? They are so much cheaper then everywhere else wondering if its worth the gamble.

Personal opinion here- they look stunning, but they are junk! They are not comfortable and cannot compare to the regular jewish furniture store quality. They certainly do not last for as long. I have a wayfair recliner, it's a joke. Yes it is much cheaper but it is a reclining chair - not a comfortable recliner. You get what you pay for in that store.

girl

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 7:31 pm
Yes I have. Over one year ago and still looking beautiful with four little kids around!

smilethere1

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 8:06 pm
lk1234 wrote:
Personal opinion here- they look stunning, but they are junk! They are not comfortable and cannot compare to the regular jewish furniture store quality. They certainly do not last for as long. I have a wayfair recliner, it's a joke. Yes it is much cheaper but it is a reclining chair - not a comfortable recliner. You get what you pay for in that store.

Thank you I appreciate the info.
Would love to hear more input anyone else has one?

ez-pass

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 8:09 pm
I have a set from all modern (wayfair sister site) it is gorgeous and super comfortable. I checked out jewish stores and most were hard as a rock. Mine is amazing! I have for about a year.

superstar

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 8:50 pm
ez-pass wrote:
I have a set from all modern (wayfair sister site) it is gorgeous and super comfortable. I checked out jewish stores and most were hard as a rock. Mine is amazing! I have for about a year.

can you post link?

Amarante

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 9:47 pm
FWIW, Wayfair is not a store nor is it a manufacturer. It is a digital mall and so items are sold by different manufacturers and distributors. Quality of a "sofa" will vary depending on the manufacturer.

However, for sofas you get what you pay for. The method of construction of an inexpensive sofa is not going to be the same as a higher quality sofa - you won't get hardwood frame that is sturdy - you won't get springs that are made well let alone hand tied which are the best. The useful life of an inexpensive sofa is only a few years because it is intended to be relatively disposable.

Mevater

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 10:56 am
Anyone bought a sofa on Wayfair.com since?

I see they have an A+ rating on bbb.org BUT the reviews are beyond terrible. I dont get it.

https://www.bbb.org/us/ma/bost.....views

Amarante

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 11:12 am
Mevater wrote:
Anyone bought a sofa on Wayfair.com since?

I see they have an A+ rating on bbb.org BUT the reviews are beyond terrible. I dont get it.

https://www.bbb.org/us/ma/bost.....views

Those are very few reviews in terms of how many sales there are on Wayfair. I would not rely on reviews like that.

Wayfair itself is very reputable and has good customer service in my personal experience. I ordered an upholstered bed frame and used their installation and delivery service. I think it is called "white glove". The bed was good quality and the installer was very good - so good in fact that I kept hhis contact information since he provided handyman services and he would make more money if I hired him directly. I referred him to a friend for some stuff and she also liked him.

But as I posted, Wayfair offers items from multiple suppliers and contracts with different "installers" so all Wayfair so you need to rely on the quality of the individual item you are selecting. It is not like going to Restoration Hardware and knowing that they sell items that are supposed to be of a certain quality. It is like going to a huge mall - Americana Mall and asking what the quality of items are sold in the mall instead of what the quality of items are for a specific store in the mall.

However as posted, I would NEVER buy upholstered sofa or chair through the internet because there is no way of testing how comfortable it is or viewing it in person. Although theoretically one can return a large item, in real life this is quite difficult to do because you have to box it up for shipping and then deal with whether any damage occurred during shipping etc.

ETA - I know that it seems contradictory that I ordered an "upholstered bed frame" through Wayfair but advised against buying large upholstered stuff. I wasn't relying on the comfort or even durability of the frame because I was using it with an adjustable bed so the upholstered portion was solely decorative as there was no "weight" on the frame since the mattress was actually on the adjustable bed frame. Also there wasn't much that was subjective since it was the color and style that I wanted. I eventually got rid of it when I redecorated and gave it to my friend for her daughter and it is still in use there.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 11:19 am
Amarante wrote:
However, for sofas you get what you pay for. The method of construction of an inexpensive sofa is not going to be the same as a higher quality sofa - you won't get hardwood frame that is sturdy - you won't get springs that are made well let alone hand tied which are the best. The useful life of an inexpensive sofa is only a few years because it is intended to be relatively disposable.

This is why I insisted that my great grandmother's furniture come with me when I made Aliyah. It's well over 100 years old, and has only needed to be reupholstered twice - thanks to family cats who thought it was a scratching post. 🐈😺🐈

All solid walnut frames, steel springs hand tied, and horse hair stuffing (that can poke out once in a rare while.)

Generations of my family have taken naps on the sofa, or had long talks over coffee in the oversized arm chairs. (Sadly, the movers destroyed beyond repair, the leather topped pedestal table that I loved so much.)

As my grandma always said "Cheap things cost more."

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 11:22 am
I have 2 velvet sofas from wayfair. One is for the dining room, so we only use it on Shabbos for the most part, and one is for my studio, so it’s only used by clients, and I generally only have about 5 a month.

I’m very happy with both. Comfortable enough. They’re not thé super plush style, not reclining, so I didn’t expect that. You can buy a 3 or maybe 5 year warranty from wayfair if you’re concerned.

Amarante

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 11:41 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
This is why I insisted that my great grandmother's furniture come with me when I made Aliyah. It's well over 100 years old, and has only needed to be reupholstered twice - thanks to family cats who thought it was a scratching post. 🐈😺🐈

All solid walnut frames, steel springs hand tied, and horse hair stuffing (that can poke out once in a rare while.)

Generations of my family have taken naps on the sofa, or had long talks over coffee in the oversized arm chairs. (Sadly, the movers destroyed beyond repair, the leather topped pedestal table that I loved so much.)

As my grandma always said "Cheap things cost more."

They just don't make them like they used to is very true of furniture.

When I remodeled and redecorated, my designer told me the life expectancy of furniture like sofas was seven years. I was stunned and I said you mean cheap furniture and she said no - relatively expensive furniture like the kind that is sold at retail at a place like Restoration Hardware or Macys.

I had my new upholstered sofa and chairs done custom through an upholstery company and there were about the same price as a lower quality sofa from a place like Restoration Hardware except that the construction was of course much better and I got to get exactly the style as well as the fabric I wanted. I even went to the upholstery place to sit on various options so I could feel exactly how different types of cushions and backs "felt". For the chair in my bedroom, I was measured to for height so my legs wouldn't dangle and width and depth so that my tuchis fit perfectly and I didn't feel swallowed by Papa Bear's chair. LOL

I wanted to show vintage chairs that were reupholstered

This chair is probably from the 1920's. It was bought used many years ago and I had it reupholstered in blue mohair which is like the velvet that is used for theatre seats. When I remodeled, I had it reupholstered in a more contemporary fabric as I now have blue velvet sofa.

This is a chair (one of two) that I inherited from my Bubbe who bought it at Sterns or maybe Bloomingdales in the 1950's. One of the nice middle class furniture stores of that era. She kept it in good condition and when I got it, it had beige velvet fabric on the seat which I kept until I redecorated and had it upholstered in a more vibrant fabric. Interesting this chair is an "interpretation" of a chair designed in the Art Deco style by a notable French designer. Mine isn't the original but is just an "inspiration". I love Art Deco which is probably why I always loved the chair even when I didn't know it was descended from Art Deco genes. Very Happy

This is my friend's vintage chair which she recently reupholstered for her bedroom. She bought it at a thrift store years ago and it had the original green velvet. She replaced it with a more ethereal fabric which goes with her bedroom better.

Mevater

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 6:41 pm
Amarante wrote:
They just don't make them like they used to is very true of furniture....

You have amazing taste and amazing knowledge! Thanks so much for sharing the photos.

A trillion words cant explain what one photo can.

meme6

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 7:18 pm
I’m moving and I need new couches and I was thinking do getting from wayfair but I got very mixed reviews I am scared to risk it cause money is money

Amarante

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 7:32 pm
Mevater wrote:
You have amazing taste and amazing knowledge! Thanks so much for sharing the photos.

A trillion words cant explain what one photo can.

Thank you - that is very kind of you to say. Very Happy

To be fair I only purchased the first chair from a used furniture place years ago. I inherited the second chair from my Bubbe and the third chair (light blue) belongs to my good friend who bought it from a thrift store years ago when it was the original green velvet.

And I am not responsible for the fabric selections as I had the help of my very talented designer. She brought me swatches and I of course approved the final selections but I had lots of input from her.

I had NEVER worked with a designer before and so my existing furniture was a mishmash of stuff that kind of went together because it was picked up here and there and I just made it work.

What a good designer did for me was enabling me to make bolder choices as they seem to know how seemingly different fabrics will work together. I learned a lot about color and how they view space from working with her because I would ask why she was making certain recommendations and "vetoing" some of my thoughts. Without her I would probably have wound up with much safer choices because I would have been afraid of bolder choices not complementing each other and I would also have made some possibly terrible choices that weren't the best for the space and the existing pieces.

She also helped me keep what I should keep and get rid of the stuff that didn't work and which I didn't really like.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars