Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Tonsil surgery!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 2:37 pm
Hi! we will be doing tonsil surgery next week for our ds( age almost 5 )
Any tips and ideas? games to bring with to the hospital? we will be staying overnight.
also if anyone been there done that can please help allay my fears....!
I've got some tonsil removal surgery kids books in my Amazon cart already. Ive spoken tohim all about it and he's pretty well-prepped.(and kinda excited !)
(Im less so lol) any pain/fear distracting ideas for my kid?

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 3:30 pm
Hope you are doing complete removal. If you do just shaving down, often the bleeding gets out of control and you have to remove them anyway.

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 3:36 pm
I did complete removal for 2 kids. Both were under 3 years old. Only one had to stay overnight.
I found tylenol/motrin to keep pain down pretty well. I got a dvd player and a few dvd's to keep them entertained for the first week or so.
ice cream, jello, ices, pudding, and a bit later yogurts. Only cold drinks.
It's not a pleasant experience, but not terrible either.
It did clear their sleep apnea immedietly, and decreased their throat infections significantly.
Good Luck!!

Rabbit613

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 3:57 pm
My ds had the surgery when he was 2. It was very painful for him afterwards. Ice cream and fruit shakes were very helpful and pain killers non stop. We were also told to be with him 24/7 for two weeks post surgery to make sure there was no bleeding and in the case of bleeding rush to the hospital immediately.

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 6:21 pm
My son had his out at age 3.
Was so quick bh and could hear the difference straight after.

Bh recovery was v quick and after first few days recovered well.

Hatzlocho and hope all goes smooth.

enneamom

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 6:27 pm
I remember there was a really cute Curious George book about this.

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 6:39 pm
I was about that age when I had a tonsillectomy about 50 years ago. My throat was sore for a while. Jello, etc.
After years of antibiotics for ear infections, I didn't have to go on antibiotics again till strept in seminary.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 7:42 pm
When the ENT looked at DD's tonsils, he went Surprised ! He said he can count on one hand how many cases he's seen that looked that bad, in 40 years of practice.

She was 5 when she had them out, combined with adenoids and ear tubes done. She was in and out of the hospital in 3 hours. The entire procedure only took 45 minutes.

We were told to keep her calm and not let her run around and get wild. By the next morning we practically had to sit on her to keep her in the house! I finally caved in and let her watch videos, just so she wouldn't go out and play with her friends.

After the first night, she didn't want any more pain meds, prescription or over the counter. She also wanted to eat corn chips! I called the doctor, and he said if she wants corn chips, then it's OK. "Soft food only" is something that doctors don't really fuss about anymore.

Just give your child what they want. If anything, hard foods help scrape down the residual blood from surgery, and makes things heal a bit faster. (Sorry, that's really gross, but that's what I was told.)

The year leading up to her surgery, she had strep 5 times in one year. She missed nearly half of kindergarten because as soon as she finished antibiotics, she'd get it all over again. (A lot of parents sent their kids to school with strep, which infuriated me.)

Since she got her tonsils out, she hasn't had a single case of strep since, and she's almost 18 now.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 7:50 pm
I don’t get why they’re saying he has to be in the hospital overnight? My three year old went home, as did my six year old. They were fine.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 7:53 pm
amother [ Floralwhite ] wrote:
I don’t get why they’re saying he has to be in the hospital overnight? My three year old went home, as did my six year old. They were fine.

I was told that they don't keep kids overnight anymore, because they're actually safer at home. There's always the fear of getting MRSA in the hospital, and pneumonia is a problem as well.

Of course that's for routine procedures. If there are underlying issues, then I could see keeping a kid overnight for observation - but not for a normal, healthy kid.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 8:28 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
I was told that they don't keep kids overnight anymore, because they're actually safer at home. There's always the fear of getting MRSA in the hospital, and pneumonia is a problem as well.

Of course that's for routine procedures. If there are underlying issues, then I could see keeping a kid overnight for observation - but not for a normal, healthy kid.

Depends how kid is feeling and if they’re ok swallowing, pain management. But yes, it usually is considered outpatient.

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 8:32 pm
Not to hijack but did anyone remove tonsils because it affected the airflow? My DD B'H isnt prone to strep but her speech therapsit said that her tonsils are really big and it's interphering the air flow and swallowing which can in turn effect her speech

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 9:45 pm
My kids were not really in the mood of games or books after. Are you sure it’s not going to be an outpatient procedure? Know many people who have done this over the last few years and don’t know anyone who stayed over. I would suggest you bring many drinks that the child likes. Have plenty of ices (Dr says better than ice cream) stocked in your freezer for when you get home. Ices helps keep the swelling down. (Personally like the ones without food coloring). Hospital should provide ices after child wakes and jello which most kids don’t like and an off brand apple juice which again many kids don’t like. So again would suggest you bring drinks that you know they like and are familiar with. Many hospitals have a rule that child must drink and urinate before being discharged. Now with Covid some don’t keep to that anymore. There is also “happy medicine” that they offer, it tastes gross and they give it appropriately 15 minutes before they bring you to the OR, it’s optional but it does help the waking up process be less traumatic.
Editing to add that our Dr suggests keeping child home for about a week. Make sure no standing on head or being too wild and to keep a pillow under mattress as elevation is important after this procedure. If child moves around in sleep don’t worry but I guess start out like that if possible
Tylenol/Motrin was only needed first 2 days for pain in our situations BH. Only soft food for 2 weeks but if it’s something that’s not extremely soft, as long as it’s very chewed up by the time it hits the back of the throat it’s ok. At 5 he or she will hopefully know what feels comfortable and stop if it’s bothersome. The Nurses usually explain everything very well. Don’t be shy to ask them whatever you need to ask in order to feel more comfortable (They should have also told you how long before child needs to stop eating. Drinking clear fluids is allowed until a few hours before) Hatzlacha hope all goes smoothly!

shanarishona

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 9:54 pm
What is the happy medicine?

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 10:32 pm
Maybe she’s referring to versed?

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 10:51 pm
You can ask your Dr exactly which medicine they offer as I’m sure they don’t all use the same one. Its basically a downer/sedative given prior to going into the OR works in conjunction with the anesthesia-which on the other hand is given through a balloon like device that the child breathes into only once they are already on operating table and have anesthesiologist, nurses, dr etc all around them masked up so can be a bit scary. The “ happy medicine” makes child sleepy before going into the OR and they wake up remembering less. Some children are completely disoriented when they wake up from anesthesia alone and can be a frightening experience. They become violent and aggressive and difficult to calm. This so called “happy medicine” is supposed to help prevent that from happening by having the child drowsy before even getting to the OR. Regardless child will need a lot of stroking, hand holding, back rubbing to wake up as calmly as possible.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics