Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Choosing an OT program

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 7:11 pm
Hi, I have my degree in education and thinking of going back to college for a new career. I was thinking OT. Anyone know the best program for a frum woman and if it's worth it if you don't live in NY. Any info would be appreciated

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 7:14 pm
I'm not an OT but a therapist in a related field. I can't advise on OT programs, but I will say to ONLY go into the field if you are passionate about it and enjoy it. Don't do it because "its a good job for a frum mom because it has flexible hours and a high salary" or you will be very disappointed

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 7:15 pm
Where do you live? Some states are worthwhile others are not. It also depends what speciality you're interested in. Absolutely speak to at least three different OTs where you live and try to find out details about what jobs are available and what you can expect in terms of income.

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 7:37 pm
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:
I'm not an OT but a therapist in a related field. I can't advise on OT programs, but I will say to ONLY go into the field if you are passionate about it and enjoy it. Don't do it because "its a good job for a frum mom because it has flexible hours and a high salary" or you will be very disappointed

I'm an OT and I could not emphasize this enough! Relatively new to the field and was extremely disappointed that it's not actually a great frum job like everyone makes it out to be. It's very hard to get a job that's not fee for service (there are a lot of other posts about the cons of this) and the ones that aren't usually require compromising on the convenience part. I love when I'm actually working because it's extremely fulfilling, but fulfilling doesn't pay the bills.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 7:41 pm
Op here
I live in Florida
Ot is something I am interested in. I enjoy working with people and helping them develop skills.
In addition, I am a full time teacher and I'm too busy for my kids and it doesn't pay enough to be worth it for working full day. That why I'm looking into other options. Thanks for all your input!!

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 7:54 pm
I live in NY and don't know the exact story is in FL. I would imagine this is going to be somewhat similar. Be careful with wanting to work part time. Working pt in this field usually means you can get a job anywhere, and they'll pay you fee for service. This means you'll get paid for seeing the client only and nothing else. All notes and calls and follow ups etc. (which is a huge amount) will be on your own time. I just moved and started a new job and for the first time it's financially worth it (meaning I'm making more than I pay in babysitting), but I still work fee for service so when a kid I see cancels or is a no show, I'm not paid. Notes are either at the end of the session and I give the kid something to do or they're at night and I am always behind on speaking to parents because there's a limited amount of time I have in my night for more work.
If you can get a salaried part time job that would be great, but from what I've seen it's very rare. (My job told me it's possible but so far doesn't look very likely)

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 8:29 pm
I am an OT in OOT midwest. I went to school where I live.

What others are saying are important points.

I work in a public school and will be making a nice salary and getting good benefits in a few years from now. Right now, it is not such a good salary but bh it is enough. I have to work full time to get the benefits which are important to us since that is our insurance.

I have worked for an agency that sends OTs to small schools and they paid well, and it was part time but I would make sure this is an option where you live.

Personally, if I wanted to do something only part time, I would take up photography, makeup or do shaitels before going to school and paying all that money and putting in so much time and effort....

Edited to add that you really do not need to go to NY to go to OT school. If you have any OT programs near you, look up their NBCOT pass rates... that will tell you if it is a good program or not.

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 8:38 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Op here
I live in Florida
Ot is something I am interested in. I enjoy working with people and helping them develop skills.
In addition, I am a full time teacher and I'm too busy for my kids and it doesn't pay enough to be worth it for working full day. That why I'm looking into other options. Thanks for all your input!!

You are not going to be less busy as a therapist. As a therapist I spend a TON of time preparing for sessions, writing session notes/progress reports, and speaking with parents on the phone. I literally dont have a minute for my kids (I can't remember the last time I read them a book or played games with them) because my job requires so much work at home.

Don't go into the field because you think it will give you more time with your kids. It will not.

To clarify I am a speech therapist.

amother
Azure

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 8:50 pm
Back to OT schools, Anyone here go to Touro somewhat recently? Would love some feedback.

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 8:53 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Op here
I live in Florida

Nonononono

I'm an OT in FL and have friends and colleagues here as well. Unfortunately I don't think a single one of us would recommend it. I have friends who are teachers and they work fewer hours than I do for the same pay. In frum schools. I also have a lot of take home work. It's endless. BH I absolutely love the field but if I knew what I was getting into I would not have gone into it, simply because the pay is lousy.

amother
Apricot

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 5:52 am
I’m a speech therapist, not in the tri-state area. Schooling was intense (I did it with 5 kids) and very hard to juggle with being a mom. Student loans are high and are going to take forever to pay off. Full time jobs aren’t hard to find in my area but come with tons of stress. Part time jobs don’t pay enough. I would advise you not to go this route. If I had it to do over again I would become a playgroup morah out of my house. Zero paperwork, minimal planning, no control freak bosses, no meetings, no work politics. I know 2 teachers who quit teaching to run playgroups and are now makingmore money than they did teaching (because take home work is minimal) and have a much better quality of life.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 23 2021, 8:14 pm
Op here- thank you everyone for your helpful replies!

amother
Taupe

Post Sat, Jan 23 2021, 9:35 pm
I graduated Touro 11 years ago. It was long, hard and expensive. I made it through in 4 years as I part timed when my oldest was born. I have no regrets although I do get bored sometimes and wish I was in the math field like accounting which I really enjoy.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics