Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Earliest a baby has stopped all breast/bottles

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 6:07 am
What's the youngest that you've had a baby completely quit formula or breastfeeding?

I've heard of a 12 month old who stopped breastfeeding and didn't get any formula, just solid food and a little cows milk in a sippy cup sometimes. Is that common?

I'm currently breastfeeding and I'd just like to get a guesstimate of when I could stop breastfeeding without having to give formula instead...

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 6:09 am
I was told when my milk dried up at 11 months that I did not need to use formula. But I wouldn't have done that on purpose. 12 mo is fine though imho.

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 6:24 am
Recommendations for formula fed babies is to switch to cow's milk in a cup at 12 months. Would be the same if you stopped nursing.

amother
Sapphire

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 6:57 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What's the youngest that you've had a baby completely quit formula or breastfeeding?

I've heard of a 12 month old who stopped breastfeeding and didn't get any formula, just solid food and a little cows milk in a sippy cup sometimes. Is that common?

I'm currently breastfeeding and I'd just like to get a guesstimate of when I could stop breastfeeding without having to give formula instead...

My kid stopped nursing at 6 months and used formula until she turned one. When she turned one she just had whole milk in a 360 cup.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 7:01 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I had one kid who stopped on their own at 4 months, nothing I could do.
You can stop whenever you want, no one if forcing you to breastfeed. Speak to your pediatrician about the best and healthiest for baby way and time to stop.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 7:03 am
Most children do just fine with cow's milk. Don't give low fat, they need those calories.

Some kids have stomach issues with cow's milk, and will be fussy, gassy, or constipated. If that happens, they may be lactose intolerant.

You can try goat's milk (hard to find, and expensive), or you can give parve milks like rice, or oat milk. Just make sure that the parve milks are FORTIFIED, because it's really important to get those vitamins in there.

You could also try Greek yogurt that is watered down enough to make a milk. The probiotics there are excellent for your child, and will help build up a healthy gut biome. If your child is lactose intolerant, you can try coconut milk yogurt, as long as it says "bio" on the label.

Make sure that the yogurts are UNSWEETENED. Nobody needs that much sugar in a bottle.

In any bottle, you can add one teaspoon of molasses per day, to give lots of B vitamins and iron.

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 7:06 am
My daughter stopped formula at 12 months. After that it was regular food , water, juice and some milk. The doctor actually told me not to give her too much milk that she was getting all the nutrition and fat from the food she was eating. She ate everything at that time. (She’s more picky now at age two)

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 7:24 am
At 6 months you introduce other foods but still breastmilk and or formula is necessary.
At 12 months they no longer need breastmilk or formula and you can give milk to drink in a cup.

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 7:32 am
I became pregnant when my baby was 4 months old and I nursed for another 2 months. I exclusively nursed and baby didn't wanna take bottles, neither formula nor any other liquid. ( baby Actually didn't know how to drink/suck from a bottle.) It was really really murder. I started giving solids but baby was super picky. Yes, baby lost then 2 lbs, was devastated. Bh that child is a healthy 7 yr old now, but yup, still a picky eater.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 7:33 am
My baby at 6 months was only having 3 bottles a day, then went down to 2.
Then 1.

When he was 12 months I chucked all the bottles and formula. Yay!
Was taking up way too much space on my tiny surface.

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 7:44 am
one of my children stopped at 10 months. didnt want formula/bottle/breastmilk since then ever again and I just accepted it. he drank cows milk and solids from then on. I tried to give him bottles, but he absolutely refused. what could I do???

one of my children ate EVERYthing by the age of 12 months but is 39 months now and STILL asks for materna in her bottle at bedtime.
I cant fill it up with cows milk or juice, or tea. it HAS to me materna Sad
again: what can I do. they get what they want (as long as it doesnt harm them of course).

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 8:44 am
Once the baby is past one my pediatrician says no need to substitute for bottles/breast. He actually prefers that kids get calcium and vitamins from food sources and not from cow milk. He doesn't recommend cow milk.

amother
Royalblue

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 9:35 am
Not the same but at seven months my baby decided he was done with the bottle and I worked full time so nursing during the day wasn’t an option. He nursed a couple of times during the evening/night and the rest of the time he had solids. Sometimes they’d give him oatmeal with my pumped milk. Thank goodness he was a good eater.
Any concerns you have talk to your pediatrician.

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 9:53 am
At 12 months, if you cease breastfeeding, your baby does not need - or gain anything from - formula.
At 12 months, baby does not need breastmilk anymore, even if it is beneficial for immune and cognitive development to continue until age 2.

So the answer is 12 months.

If you cease breastfeeding prior to that point, you do need to substitute formula.

amother
Coffee

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 9:56 am
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
one of my children stopped at 10 months. didnt want formula/bottle/breastmilk since then ever again and I just accepted it. he drank cows milk and solids from then on. I tried to give him bottles, but he absolutely refused. what could I do???

one of my children ate EVERYthing by the age of 12 months but is 39 months now and STILL asks for materna in her bottle at bedtime.
I cant fill it up with cows milk or juice, or tea. it HAS to me materna Sad
again: what can I do. they get what they want (as long as it doesnt harm them of course).

I’m surprise a 3 + year old is still taking bottles at all. I guess that goes back to (some) kids getting what they want

Chayalle

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 10:04 am
My MIL A"H was a twin, and she told me that her mother gave them cow's milk at 6 months. But I don't think that's recommended today. Most people don't introduce milk before a year.

I breastfeed all of my DD's, and pumped for the first year so they could get bottles at the babysitter. At a year, I stopped pumping and introduced cow's milk for their bottles.

Rachel Shira

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 10:09 am
It’s a perfectly normal thing to have a non-nursing 12 month old who only eats food and maybe some milk. Formula isn’t necessary and technically neither is milk after one.

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 10:16 am
amother [ Coffee ] wrote:
I’m surprise a 3 + year old is still taking bottles at all. I guess that goes back to (some) kids getting what they want

Smart parents pick their battles.

Is the bottle harmful? Can they afford it? Does it provide benefits (such as alleviating rivalry and jealousy of a new baby)?

ggdm

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 7:41 pm
My son weaned himself at 9 months and he always refused bottles. We made his cereal with formula for a while, but stopped soon.

Where I live the recommendation is to start introduce food (vegetables, meat) at 5 months, cow milk at 6 months and gradually move to normal spices and textures starting at 10-12 months. At 9 months my little one ate 4 baby meals during the day, slept through the night and I only nursed in the morning. One morning I slept in, my DH gave cereal and that was that with nursing. My pediatrician was fine with just normal food with a balanced diet and no breast milk/formula at 10 months.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics