Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Crispy sweet potatoes in oven?
Previous  1  2

penguin

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 7:42 pm
Hot oven 475 or even higher, depending how closely you're willing to watch them. And turn when starting to brown on top. I toss with oil & seems to work fine.

Frumme

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 7:50 pm
Bake them on a cooling rack set inside of a baking pan. It exposes more surface area to the heat of the oven. Also make sure that they are thin/small enough (same surface area idea).

And yes spray with oil, although they might crisp up with this method using a light brushing of reg oil

glamourmom

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 10:45 pm
the secret is in the pan. don't use a disposable sheet pan. you need a real aluminum pan and each pc needs to touch the pan so make a single layer.
parchment doesn't effect the crisp factor, oil type shouldn't either.
try it now thank me later.

challahchallah

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 11:18 pm
glamourmom wrote:
the secret is in the pan. don't use a disposable sheet pan. you need a real aluminum pan and each pc needs to touch the pan so make a single layer.
parchment doesn't effect the crisp factor, oil type shouldn't either.
try it now thank me later.

I was using real pans, one was aluminum and one was stainless steel. The potatoes were in a single layer.

I will definitely be trying these tips. My family may get sick of sweet potatoes, but I am determined to experiment until I get it right.

happinessseeker

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 11:25 pm
Frumme wrote:
Bake them on a cooling rack set inside of a baking pan. It exposes more surface area to the heat of the oven. Also make sure that they are thin/small enough (same surface area idea).

And yes spray with oil, although they might crisp up with this method using a light brushing of reg oil

Can you skip turning them over with this method?

asmileaday

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 11:47 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Coat them
https://www.gimmesomeoven.com/.....ries/

Yes this!
You can cut them up in the morning or even the night before and let it soak in water in the fridge. It can soak for 24 hours too. (Btw this helps for regular potatoes too.)
Patting dry isn't such a hassle. Just drain the water and spill the fries onto a dishtowel. Roll it around till you feel it's drier. I never make sure it's completely dry, the cornstarch soaks up the rest.
I put salt in the cornstarch and no other seasoning, that's how we like it here.
I don't flip it when baking either. And I don't cool it on a rack. If you skip all these extra hassle steps you'll still get yummy crispy fries.
By the way I make it for Pesach too and use potato starch instead of cornstarch. Works great!

challahchallah

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 12:12 am
asmileaday wrote:
Yes this!
You can cut them up in the morning or even the night before and let it soak in water in the fridge. It can soak for 24 hours too. (Btw this helps for regular potatoes too.)
Patting dry isn't such a hassle. Just drain the water and spill the fries onto a dishtowel. Roll it around till you feel it's drier. I never make sure it's completely dry, the cornstarch soaks up the rest.
I put salt in the cornstarch and no other seasoning, that's how we like it here.
I don't flip it when baking either. And I don't cool it on a rack. If you skip all these extra hassle steps you'll still get yummy crispy fries.
By the way I make it for Pesach too and use potato starch instead of cornstarch. Works great!

Do you cook them on a cookie sheet or on a cooling rack? Being able to prep them earlier in the day (ie during nap time) may actually be handy. Do you use the convection setting on your oven?

asmileaday

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 12:16 am
challahchallah wrote:
Do you cook them on a cookie sheet or on a cooling rack? Being able to prep them earlier in the day (ie during nap time) may actually be handy. Do you use the convection setting on your oven?

On a disposable cookie sheet lined with baking paper. I've used both convection and bake. Can't remember if there was much of a difference (haven't made them in a while cz now the new love is sweet potato cubes with the skin on and a whole bunch of spices and it's delicious!)

WitchKitty

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 8:27 am
Don't use convection.
It makes everything bake evenly, which is not what you want! You want the outside crispy.
Oil on both sides, spices, bake at 400. Never checked how long.
Single layer, turn over once you see one side is already crispy.

Frumme

Post Sat, Jan 23 2021, 9:34 pm
happinessseeker wrote:
Can you skip turning them over with this method?

Probably, but will probably be even crispier if you turn them over or at least give the pan a shake once (so the oven hits the parts that the metal cooling rack was touching, if that makes sense).

I do the cooling rack method with my chicken wings and we don't bother flipping. Sometimes we flip when doing schnitzel, other times not, just depends on our mood. Smile
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes