Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Flma / disability/ emergency child care during covid

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 6:36 pm
I live and work in NJ. In April I was out of work because my child's school was closed and my husband had to work out of the home. ( Neither of us can work from home). I was told that I cannot get FMLA but that I should apply for unemployment. I did. I got paid while I was out until day camp opened that summer and then I went back to work.

I am now due with a baby in April god willing and Wondering if this leave that I took will effect my ability to take FMLA (12 weeks ) after disability?

Trying calling the disability line but no luck.

Has anyone been in this specific situation?

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 6:39 pm
Following. I was also on unemployment for childcare in April thru July and will be having a baby in April. wondering what my best options are for maternity leave/disability...etc.

Eta that I live in NY

greenteaorange

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 11:53 pm
Nys has a paid family leave line you can call with these questions. The website is also very clear. You should be able to get a paid family leave claim if you worked at your company for 6 months and make more than 200 or so a week. I don’t think unemployment would be a factor especially if it was more than 6 months ago

SYA

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 10:43 am
For nys there is 6 weeks disability. The first week is a waiting period and then you get paid for the next 5 weeks.

Then there is Paid Family Leave. That is for a total of 10 weeks and can be used until the child has turned 1 years old/12 months. It does not need to be taken at one time. It may be split up.

Disability needs to be taken first, for the first 6 weeks after birth or you lose the chance to claim it.

amother
Purple

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 10:55 am
SYA wrote:
For nys there is 6 weeks disability. The first week is a waiting period and then you get paid for the next 5 weeks.

Then there is Paid Family Leave. That is for a total of 10 weeks and can be used until the child has turned 1 years old/12 months. It does not need to be taken at one time. It may be split up.

Disability needs to be taken first, for the first 6 weeks after birth or you lose the chance to claim it.

You didn't address fmla in your post.

amother
Purple

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 10:56 am
greenteaorange wrote:
Nys has a paid family leave line you can call with these questions. The website is also very clear. You should be able to get a paid family leave claim if you worked at your company for 6 months and make more than 200 or so a week. I don’t think unemployment would be a factor especially if it was more than 6 months ago

She already took pfl for covid.

amother
Purple

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 11:01 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I live and work in NJ. In April I was out of work because my child's school was closed and my husband had to work out of the home. ( Neither of us can work from home). I was told that I cannot get FMLA but that I should apply for unemployment. I did. I got paid while I was out until day camp opened that summer and then I went back to work.

I am now due with a baby in April god willing and Wondering if this leave that I took will effect my ability to take FMLA (12 weeks ) after disability?

Trying calling the disability line but no luck.

Has anyone been in this specific situation?

This is what I found under FAQ for NY, I'm sure if I dig further I can find the info for NJ, but posting this for now:

Paidfamilyleave.ny.gov/2021

Question: I used all 10 weeks of Paid Family Leave in 2020. Can I take more Paid Family Leave in 2021 if I experience another qualifying event?
Answer: You may be eligible for an additional two weeks of Paid Family Leave in 2021 if you experience a new qualifying event or if more than three months has passed since the last day of leave on your original Paid Family Leave claim.

ETA: from myleavebenefits.nj.gov/help/faq/fli.shtml

Question: I received benefits for bonding with my newborn earlier this year. Can I apply for benefits to care for a family member now?
Answer: Yes, but only if you haven’t maxed out your annual benefit entitlement. Claimants are limited to the maximum days available to them based on the start of their leave, regardless of the reason for the leave

greenteaorange

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 11:11 am
Fmla is pfl now it’s an overlapping umbrella term. Op said she used unemployment and did not get pfl for covid. Also pfl is different every year if she took it in 2020 this year 2021 is entirely different. Call the hotline with your questions they answer and are prompt

amother
Purple

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 5:04 pm
greenteaorange wrote:
Fmla is pfl now it’s an overlapping umbrella term. Op said she used unemployment and did not get pfl for covid. Also pfl is different every year if she took it in 2020 this year 2021 is entirely different. Call the hotline with your questions they answer and are prompt

Fmla and pfl are not the same thing. They may overlap. Also its nothing to so with 2020 vs 2021 iy has to do with a 12 month period.

You posted that there is anys hotline do you know if there is a nj hotline?

greenteaorange

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 8:06 pm
609-292-7060 try this number
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics