Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Shtisel - WITH spoilers :) including season 3
  Previous  1  2  3 51  52  53 75  76  77  Next

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 4:49 am
Might have been an interview thing, not the official trailer. I don't remember exactly Wink

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 7:54 am
amother [ Coffee ] wrote:
Shira told him that his parents lied and they did find out and called it off because of who she is at the kotel scene. I think he was looking in the phone book to find the number himself (because really how many Levis can there be?) And saw his father added it himself.
But the page didn't look alphabetic at all!

True, Shira told him that he was lied to, but she doesn't actually give him her last name. He can only have gotten the name from her because his parents "never found her". In any case, even if she did give him her name, he decided to check the phone book, but you can see he is not looking at Levi. And I actually disagree that there cant be too many Levi's. Levi is quite a popular name in EY.
Hmmm. Maybe he was looking at a page of shadchanim. I need to check it again.

ETA. Just watched that part again and though it doesnt show the title of the page in the directory, I think my theory is correct. He was looking at all the shadchanim listed, he saw all of them crossed off, until he got to one which was circled. Then he found the name Levi scribbled on top with her phone number.
And by the way, look again. They are listed alphabetically.

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 8:32 am
I was being sarcastic about the amount of Levi families possible LOL

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 9:03 am
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
Its not done by Ashkenazim.
If you have two grandfathers with the same name, you cannot name after one if the other grandfather with that name is still alive. This is a very glaring error.

And they are definitely not Sefardi because this is the reason they are saying no to Shira Levy.

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 9:26 am
here are some of my observations (sorry if they were mentioned already)

Yossele pronounces Torah as Tayreh but this is so unrealistic. It's extremely litvish to pronounce Torah like that and as far as I know, no young bochurim speak like that anymore especially ones with long payos

Yerushalmis also don't go on dates in hotel lobbies or to museums. They meet in houses.

Yossele has a really strong interest in insects and biology. Seems he was a good bochur beforehand. I'm not saying that a good bochur can't have an interest in other things than learning but after meeting the first Shira it seems to have overtaken him and you don't see him learning much.

When giti tells Yossele that you're young and are excited about this girl, but we'll find a better girl for you, it's the same thing her mother told her after meeting Lipa. Maybe that's why she's so upset about this shidduch in addition to the cultural thing. She doesn't want her kids to be unhappily married kind of like her.

Akiva in real life wouldn't go into a girl/woman's house and start crying about his problems that his daughter was taken away. They always leave the door open for yichud reasons which is the halacha but that's not the point. Mainstream men and women just don't socialize alone in a house, doors opened or not.

The board of Shulem's cheder consists of both yeshivish and chassidish men. Strange. yes we all would love to work together but in real life a school board would be made up of a homogeneous group not chassidim, yerushalmim and litvaks together.

At the school dinner which as someone mentioned doesn't take place in Israeli chadorim, the women's table is made up of women wearing all different head coverings. This again wouldn't happen in Meah shearim.

That's all for now, I'm sure there is more...

WitchKitty

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 9:32 am
Seashell, all correct observations.
Aside for the tayreh one which might happen, but you can exchange that word for "yeshiveh".

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 9:35 am
WitchKitty wrote:
Seashell, all correct observations.
Aside for the tayreh one which might happen, but you can exchange that word for "yeshiveh".

I've never heard a yerushalmi use the word tayreh, it's primarily litvish and very old fashioned. Some lubavitchers might also pronounce it like that.

WitchKitty

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 10:05 am
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:
I've never heard a yerushalmi use the word tayreh, it's primarily litvish and very old fashioned. Some lubavitchers might also pronounce it like that.

I'm married to a Yerushalmi.

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 10:37 am
WitchKitty wrote:
I'm married to a Yerushalmi.

oh cool so your husband would say Tayreh? Surprised but if so I take that back
Maybe I'm mixing up with chassidim.

WitchKitty

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 10:44 am
oh cool so your husband would say Tayreh? Surprised but if so I take that back
Maybe I'm mixing up with chassidim.

I've heard his father say it that way sometimes.

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 11:59 am
Quote:
it's the same thing her mother told her after meeting Lipa
That I really don't remember.

Anyone know which episode that was? Was it while she was dating or when Lipa disappeared?

As I understand it, Yerushalmim can have long payos (and mitpachot on the women) but that doesn't mean they are Chassidish in the least.

Interesting because I am watching Bat haShoter which takes place in Ramat Gan and Bnei Brak. They have pictures of the Chazon Ish everywhere but some things are quite off.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 3:40 pm
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
Quote:
it's the same thing her mother told her after meeting Lipa
That I really don't remember.

Anyone know which episode that was? Was it while she was dating or when Lipa disappeared?

As I understand it, Yerushalmim can have long payos (and mitpachot on the women) but that doesn't mean they are Chassidish in the least.

Interesting because I am watching Bat haShoter which takes place in Ramat Gan and Bnei Brak. They have pictures of the Chazon Ish everywhere but some things are quite off.
Many things are off and not all of the peyot and beards look authentic because getting the charedi stuff correct was not the essence of the show at all.

imorethanamother

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 12:35 am
amother [ Ginger ] wrote:
I saw two questions from another group:
During the chuppa we hear that Shulem is actually Yosef Shulem. OK.
So how is it possible that his grandson is named Yossele?

As to Kive‘s appartement: In the second season the young couple is getting Bobe‘s appartement, so why is it suddenly a housing problem with a landlord and payments?

Kive wasn’t supposed to get Bobe’s apartment. She was already in a nursing home. They were watching her stuff in the nursing home. Bobe’s apartment had already gone to Tzvi aryeh and Nuchem was upset that season that he wanted the apartment.

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 10:20 am
another thing that I thought would happen was when Yossele left his present from Shira on the table and Giti and Lipa had the argument in the bedroom. Giti or Lipa would wake up in the morning thinking that the gift was from the other to make up and then things would get resolved. Shame!!

During season 1 when Ruchami got married to Chanina in the restaurant and Giti was furious, she had flashbacks of when she was dating Lipa and her mother didn't want her to go ahead and told her that you're young, this is the first boy you've met and you're all excited but we'll find someone better for you.

happydays123

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 2:45 pm
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
I think we can infer from the episode of Elisheva and Akiva's "engagement" that a typical engagement in this community is around 6 months. Remember he told her that it's worth getting engaged because it will give them 6 months.
Then later, at the l'chaim, both fathers talk about making the wedding sooner than 6 months. And you can see Akiva struggling with that.
I think we can assume they got married almost 5 years ago. And I also thought it was a bit strange that they only have one kid, and she is so young. It is kind of rare to have two years without getting pregnant. Most people get pregnant within the first 6 months, and the rest, within the year. (Assuming they were trying.) (The producers probably didn't want to deal with more kids so they just had them have one, and left it up to us to speculate....)

I thought that Elisheva said 6 months because she wanted Akiva to feel like it was going to happen, and he didn't want to wait that long -- like it was unheard of to him to have to wait that long.

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 3:24 am
Can anyone explain what a "nogidske" is? seemed derogatory

Also was Nechama married previously or not? She says she only loved one man -yissochor but she is wearing a sheitel. Confused about that

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 3:37 am

Also was Nechama married previously or not? She says she only loved one man -yissochor but she is wearing a sheitel. Confused about that

in previous season Shulem says that the girl that Sucher broke engagement with is already going to marrying off grandchildren, so she was married

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 3:40 am
imorethanamother wrote:
Kive wasn’t supposed to get Bobe’s apartment. She was already in a nursing home. They were watching her stuff in the nursing home. Bobe’s apartment had already gone to Tzvi aryeh and Nuchem was upset that season that he wanted the apartment.

no, Nuchem is asking why Tzvi Aryeh is living in Bobe’s apartment for free and Shulem gets furious. Then Libi nd Kive find bobe‘s will in the nursing home and there it says that the apartment goes to Nuchem and Shulem gets very upset. Then Nuchem says the apartment goes to the young couple that‘s going to be married

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 3:44 am
amother [ Ginger ] wrote:
in previous season Shulem says that the girl that Sucher broke engagement with is already going to marrying off grandchildren, so she was married

so why did she say that she only loved one man in her life?

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 3:45 am

nogidske is feminitive from nogid (neged =against) and it‘s a good thing
Shulem says that he need a nogid because the heder has debts. A nogid is someone who would be „against“ - if you ask for 10000 he will say no I am against it I give you a million
So when Nechama told him that she won in a lottery he is saying I see you have an appearance of a nogidske
Page 52 of 77   Previous  1  2  3 51  52  53 75  76  77  Next Recent Topics