Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Master bathroom advice

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 12:08 am
Hi! We are redoing our master bathroom. We don’t have so much space so it will be on the smaller side but I want it to feel nice and luxurious . Any tips for a smaller but nice master bathroom? Would you prefer a combo bath/shower or separate shower and tub with a smaller sink vanity? Any other ideas or thoughts.

womanwithaplan

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 12:11 am
Glass shower walls instead of a regular shower curtain make the room feel more open and spacious.

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 1:12 am
I prefer separate and smaller vanity. If you are a big makeup person and need space on vanity then maybe bigger vanity works better for you. Try to ask some friends or family if you can check theirs out so you can see which is this better choice for you. Good Luck!

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 2:18 am
Do you want it to feel luxurious or do you want it to actually be luxurious?

Do you use the tub? If you don’t use the tub much, then you are wasting valuable space in the bathroom for the tub. Either alternative you are suggesting isn’t luxurious since you either have a small shower or mediocre tub/shower. Since most adults don’t take baths frequently, the trend in luxurious bathrooms that aren’t large is to have just a fabulous walk in shower. Beautiful tiles, a bench, lovely fixtures, frameless shower doors are all what would be used. A built in bench would be part of the shower.

Do you feel the need for two sinks. Many people don’t actually need them and you give up counter space as well as interior storage.

Good lighting both overhead cans plus lighting for grooming. Overhead lighting isn’t great for makeup application. Sconces can be a gorgeous decorative element.

essie14

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 2:23 am
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:
Do you want it to feel luxurious or do you want it to actually be luxurious?

Do you use the tub? If you don’t use the tub much, then you are wasting valuable space in the bathroom for the tub. Either alternative you are suggesting isn’t luxurious since you either have a small shower or mediocre tub/shower. Since most adults don’t take baths frequently, the trend in luxurious bathrooms that aren’t large is to have just a fabulous walk in shower. Beautiful tiles, a bench, lovely fixtures, frameless shower doors are all what would be used. A built in bench would be part of the shower.

Do you feel the need for two sinks. Many people don’t actually need them and you give up counter space as well as interior storage.

Good lighting both overhead cans plus lighting for grooming. Overhead lighting isn’t great for makeup application. Sconces can be a gorgeous decorative element.

Agree. We have no room for a tub and we don't use it so we are putting in a nice size shower with a built in bench and a rainfall dual shower head. the doors will be frameless and clear glass. I picked out gorgeous tiles and I'm putting in a single sink vanity as large as will fit in the space.

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 2:27 am
essie14 wrote:
Agree. We have no room for a tub and we don't use it so we are putting in a nice size shower with a built in bench and a rainfall dual shower head. the doors will be frameless and clear glass. I picked out gorgeous tiles and I'm putting in a single sink vanity as large as will fit in the space.

I did this when I remodeled. I took out the crummy tub shower combo and installed a fabulous shower in its place with a bench and beautiful marble and hand fired tiles. I installed a second hand held by the bench so I can really luxuriate while I sit at the bench. Every time I take a shower, it makes me feel wonderful.

Also a good toilet like a Toto. Mine is skirted so you don’t see the horrible trap. It also makes it easier to clean. I also invested in a Toto washlet which is also wonderful.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 10:39 am
Thanks for the advice. I actually do take baths a lot so having a bath is important to me. That’s the only thing I feel strongly about.

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 10:56 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks for the advice. I actually do take baths a lot so having a bath is important to me. That’s the only thing I feel strongly about.

I'm the same way. The main reason we redid the master bath was because the original didn't have a bath and for me it's a must. We did a bath/shower combo and put in a makeup table attached to the vanity. I prefer it this way although if your master bedroom is very large and you have space for a makeup table in the room, you may prefer using the space for a separate shower. But honestly, I don't see the need for separate bath and shower. What's the point? When I'll be too old to lift my leg above the tub wall to take a shower, I will worry then. Otherwise, what's the problem with having a tub/shower combo?

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 11:06 am
If you take a bath, I agree that you should go with a bath/shower combination since the experience of taking a shower is more comfortable in the tub/shower than a small stall shower.

You can make the tub shower combination just as beautiful as a tiled shower as you don't have to use the ugly builder grade fiberglass inserts but can put in a beautiful tub with tile surround.

Please be very careful in terms of the qualify of workers you get when you install a tiled shower or tiled shower/tub because a shower needs to be waterproofed correctly by workmen who know what they are doing. Otherwise you will develop leaks which ultimately will compromise the structure of your home.

Many people think that tiles provide the water proofing. This is completely incorrect as there is waterproofing that needs to be applied before the tile and that is what provides the actual waterproofing.

Since you are opting for a tub/shower combination, you don't need to worry about waterproofing the shower floor but for a walk in shower that is equally critical. When I remodeled, it had to pass a 24 hour flood test and be properly sloped. The waterproof needs to be continuous between floor and the walls.

Doing a bathroom correctly even if it isn't "luxurious" is expensive because you really need skilled workers for the plumbing, tile and electrical work.

I do like my Panasonic Whisper Fan as well. It turns on when it senses that the ambient humidity in the room reaches a certain point and then turns itself off. I also have a light that turns on and off automatically when entering - this is required by Code in my location to conserve energy.

mfb

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 11:10 am
If you like baths make sure you get a nice and deep one. Not necessarily big if you don’t have the place but at least very deep

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 11:16 am
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:
I also have a light that turns on and off automatically when entering - this is required by Code in my location to conserve energy.

what do you do about it for shabbos?

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 11:16 am
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:
what do you do about it for shabbos?

Override it - don't ask me how as the electrician handled it. Smile

amother
Mint

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 11:19 am
Put in a deep.tub as big as you can go.

amother
Brown

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 12:18 pm
I had same issue
We went for separate shower and bath w smaller vanity.
We have bath under window wall (really deep tub but standard width) then toilet, vanity (about 36inch but I don't remember exactly) then shower w bench w Rainshower and hand shower heads
I am thrilled w how my bathroom came out

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 6:13 pm
Thanks everyone, this is helpful

mizle10

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 6:48 pm
I personally love a nice shower. However if you want the bathtub I would put a glass door over half the tub instead of a shower curtain. I hate stepping on soggy shower curtain when I’m showering.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics