Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
What language do you speak to your kids?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 7:22 pm
Do u speak to your kids a certain different language at home than what they speak in school or to they're friends ? Do your boys speak in Yiddish and only your girls speak in English? I'll start. By me the girls speak English while my boys only speak in Yiddish.
Anyone else's family like this?

amother
Wheat

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 7:23 pm
Sign language and spoken language until baby starts using spoken language. (English)

PeanutMama

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 7:28 pm
Our 1 year old son hears
English from me
Yiddish from my husband

As a family we would speak English so I won’t be left out lol. I’m more comfortable in English. My Yiddish is baaaaaad. Like phrases a 1 year old kid can understand lol. Nothing more. I can’t really read it either but slowly recognizing some words like right or open lol. But that’s because it’s yinglish. Lol.

amother
Apricot

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 7:33 pm
My son speaks Yiddish to his father and English to me. In school mix of both. My daughter speaks English at home and school. She has friends who talk Yiddish and she has picked up some words. I can speak both but generally speak English unless I am talking to my yiddish speaking neighbors.

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 7:40 pm
We speak English at home. My 2 yr old daughter picked up yiddish in playgroup and speaks “Yinglish”. She’ll say “Mommy come zits next to me on my platz”. Or “Can I please have vasser in a plastic cup”
My kids know both languages but at home it’s all English. DH also only speaks English at home and English is his fourth language.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 7:44 pm
English

Last edited by ra_mom on Thu, Jan 21 2021, 7:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

chaya007

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 7:45 pm
I speak to my son, who is 17 months old, in Russian and my husband speaks to him in English. Though my husband knows enough Russian to be able to tell him simple sentences in Russian.

Good Friend

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 7:55 pm
Officially my husband speaks to them in yidish, I do english and the babysitter spanish, so the kids can learn which words belong to which language based on who speaks to them in it; but my husband and I are both guilty of mixing all 3 languages together.

amother
Babyblue

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 8:03 pm
I speak to them in Hebrew, DH speaks to them in English. We live in the US but want them to know Hebrew.

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 8:25 pm
We basically speak an equal amount of Yiddish/English. Though as my girls are getting older, it's starting to become more English. I love the Yiddish language and I really like speaking Yiddish. My son speaks a real mix of both.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 8:28 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
We speak English at home. My 2 yr old daughter picked up yiddish in playgroup and speaks “Yinglish”. She’ll say “Mommy come zits next to me on my platz”. Or “Can I please have vasser in a plastic cup”
My kids know both languages but at home it’s all English. DH also only speaks English at home and English is his fourth language.

So your kids are bilingual. Interesting that English is his fourth language? Where is he from? I wouldn't mind to know 4 languages. I know only 2 would love to know Hebrew and Spanish.

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 8:32 pm
We speak Spanglish with a touch of Arabic
We are Sefardic
DH was born in Argentina
My parents were born in Cuba
We have Syrian and Turkish background

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 8:56 pm
I speak English. Dh usually speaks his first language (a European language). We live in America and he's fluent in English but it's his third language, and he really wants the kids to at least understand his language. He became fluent in a fourth language recently as well. We speak hebrew when we don't want the kids to understand but unfortunately/ fortunately they're really picking that up too well Very Happy

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 9:32 pm
English and Russian

DrMom

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 9:44 pm
English in the home, Hebrew at school.

amother
Violet

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 9:58 pm
English, Hebrew, Yiddish, and Arabic.

Mostly English though

amother
Silver

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 10:21 pm
Yiddish, Yiddish, Yiddish.
That's how I communicate with my friends and family too. However, I write mostly in English.

amother
Smokey

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 10:26 pm
I never stressed to talk pure Yiddish in my home. Let's go, Upstairs, downstairs, Outside, Kitchen, Bathroom, and many more are common words in our house, even my toddler. (In my family most use Yiddish words for the words mentioned) But regular talk was more less Yiddish. To My husband I talk very often in English and he usually responds in Yiddish.

My 2 girls are now lower elementary and feel so big that they know much more English already, so yea, we talk now a lot more in English. In school I believe they talk more Yiddish but mix some English.

My husband learnt in Israel and picked up on Hebrew. I'm clueless, know only few real basics. Tada rabba, chaval al lazman, bo lapo, ma nishma, hakol baseder, boker tov, ma, kama. Get the gist?

Question, do those who learn chumish usually catch on Hebrew more easy? Obviously if spoken to often. I did not learn.

amother
Silver

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 10:30 pm
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
I never stressed to talk pure Yiddish in my home. Let's go, Upstairs, downstairs, Outside, Kitchen, Bathroom, and many more are common words in our home

oiven
inten
droisen
koch
toilet

for those who were going to ask.

we don't use the English words you mentioned in our house, but I think enough kids in school do that my kid may recognize them.

Funny story my neighbor offered my 4 yt old kid cheese and he had no idea what it is because we say kayz.

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 10:35 pm
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
I never stressed to talk pure Yiddish in my home. Let's go, Upstairs, downstairs, Outside, Kitchen, Bathroom, and many more are common words in our house, even my toddler. (In my family most use Yiddish words for the words mentioned) But regular talk was more less Yiddish. To My husband I talk very often in English and he usually responds in Yiddish.

My 2 girls are now lower elementary and feel so big that they know much more English already, so yea, we talk now a lot more in English. In school I believe they talk more Yiddish but mix some English.

My husband learnt in Israel and picked up on Hebrew. I'm clueless, know only few real basics. Tada rabba, chaval al lazman, bo lapo, ma nishma, hakol baseder, boker tov, ma, kama. Get the gist?

Question, do those who learn chumish usually catch on Hebrew more easy? Obviously if spoken to often. I did not learn.

Are you referring to hebrew language or lashon hakodesh? The Torah is lashon hakodesh but anyone who can understand lashon hakodesh can get by in ivrit as well. You don't understand lashon hakodesh?
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics