Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Can someone help me figure out my 2yo son???

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 9:15 pm
Can anyone help me figure out my son??
Since he had a rash on his body two weeks ago his skin never returned to normal, it stayed bumpy and scaly, but the redness resolved in a day or two...
Besides for that he’s acting kooked! Cries a lot and is ultra sensitive...
He’s not stopping to run to the bathroom for #1 and makes each time but doesn’t always make it on time and wets his pants on the way...
And when he makes his urine is clear, not yellow...
I already took sptrept cutlture twice and yesterday went for a urine sample. Meanwhile everything negative...
No fever at all...
Stopped napping his teacher says...
I did notice one new half molar in his mouth... he’s just so not himself. I feel like somethings going on but dunno what

amother
Teal

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 9:24 pm
What does your pediatrician say?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 9:37 pm
Op here:
Referred me to a dermatologist, but I think she’s too fast to jump to that. I feel like there’s an underlying issue here cuz there are so many other issues and my kid never had issues with his skin/allergies.

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 9:43 pm
Derm always knows about rashes better then a pediatrician! Go there stat!

amother
Teal

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 9:44 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Op here:
Referred me to a dermatologist, but I think she’s too fast to jump to that. I feel like there’s an underlying issue here cuz there are so many other issues and my kid never had issues with his skin/allergies.

Is the pediatrician aware of all the symptoms? How does she explain them?

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 9:44 pm
Run strep titers. Sounds very much like inflammatory reaction to strep even if not showing up on cultures.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 9:47 pm
Op here
What’s strep titers?
At the first appt doc said the flaky skin may be a sign of strept but it didn’t show up as positive. But his tonsils don’t sound regular either. That was another reason why I repeated the strept test. I’m waiting to see maybe after two days it will be positive.

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 9:54 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Op here
What’s strep titers?
At the first appt doc said the flaky skin may be a sign of strept but it didn’t show up as positive. But his tonsils don’t sound regular either. That was another reason why I repeated the strept test. I’m waiting to see maybe after two days it will be positive.
ASO and antidnase b. Will tell you if immune system fought a recent strep infection. It sounds very much like it could have been scarlet fever and the behavioral symptoms and enuresis go hand in hand with that (autoimmune reaction to strep).

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 10:23 pm
OP here..
And what if the strep titer test comes up positive? Will the dr. treat him or just wait until the infection leaves his body?

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 10:35 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
OP here..
And what if the strep titer test comes up positive? Will the dr. treat him or just wait until the infection leaves his body?

Strep titers will just tell you if he had a strep infection within the last 6 months or so.

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 10:37 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
OP here..
A good dr will put the pieces together and treat. As a mother you can push and advocate for what you feel is right. Btw sleep disturbances are also very common with post strep inflammation. Clear urine may indicate electrolyte imbalances.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 10:37 pm
OP here
and after I know if he had a strep infection or not? What will that help? how do doctors usually handle that?

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 10:39 pm
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
Strep titers will just tell you if he had a strep infection within the last 6 months or so.
If they are 5-7 times the normal range that often means chronic infection. But you are right in the sense that they aren’t definitive or diagnostic of anything. But tHey can serve as a clue.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 10:56 pm
Can you tell us more about what the rash looked like in the beginning?

Where did it start? What did it look like? Feel like?

There are plenty viruses causing rash...

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 10:58 pm
OP here. Rash was over his stomach and back basically, red blotches but not raised and when I stretched his skin the rash was not visible, pediatrician once taught me that if you stretch the skin and the rash isn’t visible than it’s viral.
That resolved within a day or two. Then his skin became bumpy and flaky and hasn’t healed since.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 11:49 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
OP here. Rash was over his stomach and back basically, red blotches but not raised and when I stretched his skin the rash was not visible, pediatrician once taught me that if you stretch the skin and the rash isn’t visible than it’s viral.
That resolved within a day or two. Then his skin became bumpy and flaky and hasn’t healed since.

Definitely check in with derm first. Does it itch?
It may or may not even be related to the behaviors - which may be totally teething related. I would still rule everything else out because I would want to make sure I’m not missing anything...

Again, seconding the dermatology recommendation

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Jan 22 2021, 5:09 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

That sounds like classic Scarlet Fever. B'H he had a mild case! My skin flaked off and peeled for 2 months when I had it. I lost a layer of skin on the palms of my hands, fingertips, and bottom of my feet as well, and it was SO tender until the new skin formed.

With tonsil involvement as well, you really must get him on antibiotics. If he keeps getting strep, you are going to need a consultation with a good ENT, and see if he needs to have his tonsils and adenoids removed. Strep can "hide" in there, and antibiotics don't cross the tonsil barrier. That means that strep can come back as soon as the antibiotics wear off.

amother
Aubergine

Post Fri, Jan 22 2021, 8:16 am
https://youtu.be/pBmtbN--fbg

Watch this if it lingers.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics