Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Yiddish Reading Recommendations

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 7:46 pm
I'm embarrassed to be writing this, but....oh, well.
As a kid from a chassidish yiddish/english speaking home, I speak both languages and learned them both in school.
But!
I started speaking more English in my teen years. And I've never read any Yiddish books outside of my schoolwork.
Now, many years after school, I find myself lacking yiddish skills. I can still speak it, but I'm much more fluent in english, with a much larger vocabulary. As for reading? Forget it!!! I break my teeth and my eyes trying to get through the Kinus on Tisha B'aav (yiddish version).
This really bothers me. So, the point of this post.
Can anyone recommend a yiddish book or magazine for me? Something entertaining that would incentivize me to read it through. And not something too complicated or high-vocab? I tried reading the yiddish translation of Harry Potter but couldn't get through it. Something less complex than that?
Thank you!!!!

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 8:01 pm
Hahaha I read yiddish well and also break my teeth reading the yiddish kinus. It's an old fashioned yiddish, not the yiddish we speak and read.
Maybe get some yiddish magazines, they often have some interesting content. The Blitz, Shpaktiv, Shteren, I even read the kindline kids magazine.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 8:03 pm
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
Hahaha I read yiddish well and also break my teeth reading the yiddish kinus. It's an old fashioned yiddish, not the yiddish we speak and read.
Maybe get some yiddish magazines, they often have some interesting content. The Blitz, Shpaktiv, Shteren, I even read the kindline kids magazine.

Thank you! Smile

amother
Gold

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 8:11 pm
The kindline, moment and the maalos if you want to have a good laugh.
Chaim Eliav and Yair Weinstock have a few of their books translated to Yiddish. Maybe read something you already read in English for practice.
The moment has די מעקסיקאנע געהיימניס running now as a serial. I think it is Plan B in English.
Go to your local library for more information on which books are translated versions.

Good Luck and happy reading!

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 8:12 pm
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
Chaim Eliav and Yair Weinstock have a few of their books translated to Yiddish. Maybe read something you already read in English for practice.
The moment has די מעקסיקאנע געהיימניס running now as a serial. I think it is Plan B in English.
Go to your local library for more information on which books are translated versions.

The maalos is still around??? Didn't see it in years!! Oh the laughter every time we read it!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 8:18 pm
amother [ Gold ] wrote:

Thank you!!

naturalmom5

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 8:20 pm
https://books.google.com/books.....MQ-kC

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 8:20 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
https://books.google.com/books/about/Shosha.html?id=8W8JkrCMQ-kC

Thank you!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room