Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Do you call it supper or dinner?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

What do you call the last meal of the day?
Dinner  
 26%  [ 84 ]
Supper  
 73%  [ 229 ]
Total Votes : 313

SuperWify

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 7:30 pm
There is no option for both.

I call it dinner mainly because that is the way I grew up, but most people in my community say supper so I use that sometimes as well.

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 10:23 pm
I say supper. JPF, FFB, OOT

For some reason, my sister calls it "dinner" and it DRIVES. ME. CRAZY.
We're from the same family - where did she get it from?!?!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 10:28 pm
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
I say supper. JPF, FFB, OOT

For some reason, my sister calls it "dinner" and it DRIVES. ME. CRAZY.
We're from the same family - where did she get it from?!?!

I’m gonna go ask my sister what she calls it right now!

flmommy

Post Fri, Jan 22 2021, 5:47 am
I also use both. I yell Dinner. Then when no one comes I can say a minute later Time for Supper!

Debbie

Post Fri, Jan 22 2021, 5:53 am
I call it supper, just like my mum did.
I've been frum for most but not all my life; although I'm not sure what that has to do with what I call the evening meal!

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Jan 22 2021, 5:59 am
In my experience, it's the difference between American Northern and American Southern phrasing. I never thought of it having anything to do with being yeshivish or yekke or chassidish.

Sneakers - Tennis shoes - Trainers
Sofa - Couch - Davenport
Soda - Pop
Pants - Drawers - Britches

I could go on and on. It really just depends on where you grew up.

Being a city girl, I always thought it extremely weird that some people called lunch dinner. When I was in school, nobody called the lunch room the dinner room, and we all went home starving, hoping for a big dinner.

If you grew up on a farm, lunch/dinner was the biggest meal of the day, and supper was a smaller meal before bed.

Raisin

Post Fri, Jan 22 2021, 6:19 am
Debbie wrote:
I call it supper, just like my mum did.
I've been frum for most but not all my life; although I'm not sure what that has to do with what I call the evening meal!

I think all british people call it supper, don't they? Or tea, (!!!! I always get confused by that lol) depending on class. Dinner is only if its a formal meal with tablecloths and napkins.

The queen probably only ever eats dinner but a meal eaten in the kitchen in the evening is always supper.

Debbie

Post Fri, Jan 22 2021, 6:26 am
Raisin wrote:
I think all british people call it supper, don't they? Or tea, (!!!! I always get confused by that lol) depending on class. Dinner is only if its a formal meal with tablecloths and napkins.

The queen probably only ever eats dinner but a meal eaten in the kitchen in the evening is always supper.

Tea is a more Northern term, some British people call the evening meal dinner but I think supper is more usual.
I expect the queen eats dinner; I can't imagine the butler banging the gong and calling out 'Supper is served!'

Rappel

Post Fri, Jan 22 2021, 6:32 am
Lunch is a noon-time hot meal or sandwiches/picnic.

Dinner is a formal meal in the mid afternoon.

Supper is an evening meal.

Brooklyn raised. Smile

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Jan 22 2021, 6:40 am
British "tea" always confused me. In my mind, I pictured it with fine china, a silver teapot, and tiny little cakes and cucumber sandwiches on a tiered stand. It was something ladies did.

Then I watch a British TV show, and find out that it's usually beans on toast! (I didn't even know that people ate beans on toast. Such an odd combination.)

These Hobbits have the right idea:

Debbie

Post Fri, Jan 22 2021, 6:56 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
British "tea" always confused me. In my mind, I pictured it with fine china, a silver teapot, and tiny little cakes and cucumber sandwiches on a tiered stand. It was something ladies did.

Then I watch a British TV show, and find out that it's usually beans on toast! (I didn't even know that people ate beans on toast. Such an odd combination.)

These Hobbits have the right idea:

Tea to me is just that, a cup of tea and some cake, no cucumber sandwiches and no silver teapot!
Beans on toast is a tasty lunch time meal; I didn't realise it's not a thing outside of Britain.

mommy3b2c

Post Fri, Jan 22 2021, 7:04 am
number wrote:
I’m in town yeshivish and I call it supper in real life, and dinner online. Because supper is socially awkward in the wider world. Laugh

It’s not socially awkward....unless you’re joking?

etky

Post Fri, Jan 22 2021, 7:14 am
We use them both interchangeably for the evening weekday meal.
I can't even say if we use one term more than the other.
Sort of like coach/sofa.
Friday night is always dinner though.
And in my DH's family growing up (Conservative OOT) the main meal on Shabbat afternoon was always dinner too, whereas for our family (MO, NYC) it was Shabbat lunch.

amother
Navy

Post Fri, Jan 22 2021, 7:37 am
I grew up in London. The midday meal was called dinner, at school we had a dinner room and dinner ladies (to confuse things even more, weirdly, in school, snack was called lunch - we had one regular lunch and one fruit lunch). The evening meal was called supper.

At some point though, I switched over to saying lunch for the midday meal (supper is still supper). Come to think of it, I think by the time I was in high school it was already “snack” and “lunch room”.🤔

Debbie

Post Fri, Jan 22 2021, 7:47 am
[quote="amother [ Navy ]"]I grew up in London. The midday meal was called dinner, at school we had a dinner room and dinner ladies (to confuse things even more, weirdly, in school, snack was called lunch - we had one regular lunch and one fruit lunch). The evening meal was called supper.

I worked in a school in Stamford Hill and never got used to the morning snack being referred to as 'lunch' to me lunch is sandwiches or a salad, not a few chocolate biscuits or a bag of pretzels.
Mind you I also didn't get used to a cheese sandwich being called 'A bread with cheese' or a salmon sandwich 'A bread with salmon!'

amother
Navy

Post Fri, Jan 22 2021, 8:05 am
Debbie wrote:

I worked in a school in Stamford Hill and never got used to the morning snack being referred to as 'lunch' to me lunch is sandwiches or a salad, not a few chocolate biscuits or a bag of pretzels.
Mind you I also didn't get used to a cheese sandwich being called 'A bread with cheese' or a salmon sandwich 'A bread with salmon!'

Never heard this before! Lol!

Debbie

Post Fri, Jan 22 2021, 8:06 am
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
Never heard this before! Lol!

Neither had I until then!

Siriusly?

Post Fri, Jan 22 2021, 8:07 am
Found this interesting:

https://www.merriam-webster.co.....aning

Raisin

Post Fri, Jan 22 2021, 9:24 am
We love beans on toast here. It can be breakfast, lunch or supper. Smile

In Britain (and Ireland, according to this article https://www.theguardian.com/li.....inner) it really depends on class.

Breakfast - everyone eats this
Elevenses - a bit old fashioned. People in books do it. Now you just go to starbucks.
Midday meal is lunch (luncheon) or dinner. We did have school dinners now that I think of it. It was a cooked 3 course meal. Soup, main and dessert. We actually had the the most amazing cook, some of the best food I have ever eaten in my life. Although I do remember having an arguement with a prefect about not eating my tomato and rice soup. (my school was quite aspirational in that way; we had prefects, a head girl, houses with colours. Lol.)

(Afternoon)Tea - eaten at 4pm. People might do this on shabbos afternoon. Not really done so much nowadays although its a fun simcha format. I am often served tea on airlines.

Dinner, supper or tea. Dinner is a formal meal as I said, served in the dining room, multi course. Supper is a less formal evening meal, traditionally eaten by upper/middle class people very late at night, but nowadays at the regular time any evening when they are not having a formal meal. Mosly eaten in the kitchen. Lower class people have tea. (from high tea - which is tea eaten at about 6 pm but with cooked food in addition to the tea and cakes. People who had to work didn't have time to sit around and drink tea in the afternoon)

sequoia

Post Fri, Jan 22 2021, 9:27 am
The yoga teacher at Cambridge, who spoke with a northern accent, would say before twists or inversions “hope no one had a large tea before this” Smile
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics