Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Out of Town High School for Girls
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 3:00 pm
Hi
My daughter is miserable is school
She's in 11th grade
I'm looking for any ideas for a warm school, not too big and with solid girls.
Any recommendations?

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 3:32 pm
A friend of mine's DD flourished really well in Beis Yaccov of Denver.

She struggled in her home town, but once she got there the change was amazing. When she came home to visit she was so respectful, eidel, and charming. She recently married a very nice boy.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 3:58 pm
Machon LA is a great school. But LA is very expensive .

doctorima

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 4:33 pm
Temima in Atlanta and Mesorah in Dallas are both great and warm and not too big, but you'd have to check about dorming or boarding options unless you have family in the community.

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 7:55 pm
Do live in NY\NJ many out of town high Schools do not take girls from those states

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 7:58 pm
amother [ Emerald ] wrote:
Do live in NY\NJ many out of town high Schools do not take girls from those states

Are you sure about this or just throwing out a comment? So many girls dorm/board OOT for high school. I think the schools are happy to accommodate them.

imasinger

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 8:10 pm
BY Boston if she doesn't mind boarding with a family.

amother
Ecru

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 8:15 pm

Huh?
OP the Lubavitch school in Pittsburgh, PA is wonderful, if you're Chabad (or don't mind sending to Chabad). Very warm, solid girls. I'm not even Lubavitch and would send my DD there if she would be willing! The boarding is with local families, I don't think there's a dorm.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 8:40 pm

NY/NJ??
Really?

amother
Apricot

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 8:48 pm
Bnos Yisroel of Baltimore is awesome!
Might be hard to get into as they take very few borders and are a smaller school

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 8:48 pm
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
Are you sure about this or just throwing out a comment? So many girls dorm/board OOT for high school. I think the schools are happy to accommodate them.

I think amother Emerald may be alluding to a certain degree of skepticism when girls from large communities with abundant school choices apply to board OOT.

When someone from tiny-OOT-community-with-no-high-school seeks to board at slightly-larger-OOT-community-with-one-high-school-a-five-hour-drive-away, it is easy to understand why. Likewise, when a girl from a community with 1 or 2 high schools wants to attend a different type of school that doesn't exist in her community, people find it easy enough to understand. But when someone is coming from a community with many different school options, and saying they want to dorm or board at small OOT high school, and they don't have a family connection, the OOT high school can be skeptical as to what the real reasons for the application are.

amother
Peach

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 8:53 pm
Contact torah umesorah I think they have people who can help you find and get into an appropriate school

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 9:09 pm
I have heard very good things about San Diego

amother
Goldenrod

Post Fri, Jan 22 2021, 5:59 am
I’ve heard Boca has a nice girls school.

amother
Hotpink

Post Fri, Jan 22 2021, 8:38 am

Many, many years ago, but BY of Denver does.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 22 2021, 8:41 am
Thank you everyone.
All ideas are greatly appreciated

amother
Natural

Post Fri, Jan 22 2021, 9:41 am
South Bend or Providence

amother
Indigo

Post Fri, Jan 22 2021, 10:14 am
Phoenix Arizona is opening an all girls Lubavitch high school with a beautiful DORM.
The principal they hired is OUTSTANDING and has nineteen years experience as a principal in a huge all girls high school in New York.

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 7:46 pm
Providence, RI

small school, 30-40 girls. Usually about 1/4- 1/3 from outside of Providence (mostly NY/NJ area).
there is a formal boarding "program"-- the boarders are not left to fend on their own. This year is a tough year, because of COVID, but usually there are tons of activities, motzei shabbos trips, shabbos programming, etc...
The girls from Providence tend to be frummer, "I'm just waiting until I can get married and move to Lakewood, " while the girls from outside of Providence tend to be more relaxed. Nice solid frum girls, just usually more chilled.

call rabbi Peretz Scheinerman: 401-331-5327, ext. 21

Also, Rabbi Gluck in Monsey is great in terms of recommending a school for your daughter.

twogees

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 8:02 pm
BY of Boston. I boarded there for all 4 yrs of high school as I am from NY. Absolutely LOVED every moment of being there.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics