Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Newborn was diagnosed with torticolis and hip issues
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 23 2021, 7:21 pm
My baby has torticolis and developmental dysplasia of the hip. Does anyone have any experience with this? What did you do to treat it and when if ever did it go away? Did they go through any developmental or motor delays as a result of this?

oneofakind

Post Sat, Jan 23 2021, 7:22 pm
Physical therapy asap for the neck

doodlesmom

Post Sat, Jan 23 2021, 7:37 pm
My daughter had a brace full time for 8 weeks or so for her shallow hip issue, to help the ball and socket grow better.

It wasn’t uncomfortable but, she definitely looked weird, and I was happy most of it was in the bungalow colony so that I didn’t need to repeat and explain the situation all the time

ETA my daughter had the harness mentioned below....

Last edited by doodlesmom on Sat, Jan 23 2021, 7:39 pm; edited 2 times in total

amother
Smokey

Post Sat, Jan 23 2021, 7:38 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My baby has torticolis and developmental dysplasia of the hip. Does anyone have any experience with this? What did you do to treat it and when if ever did it go away?

They are usually related.

My dc had it.
Did you see a orthopedic surgeon for the hip yet?
How old is your child?
Do you know how severe the hip dysplasia is?

My dc was put in a Pavlik harness almost immediately, which BH took care of it.
The earlier its done the better.

The torticollis can be helped with PT.

If you need recommendations, you can pm me.

Hatzlacha!

notshanarishona

Post Sat, Jan 23 2021, 7:53 pm
My son had torticolis , now you can’t even tell.
https://I.imgur.com/OlPlkJq.jpg

notshanarishona

Post Sat, Jan 23 2021, 7:54 pm
To now

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 23 2021, 8:47 pm
BH I am so happy it got better. What did you do to fix the issue?

amother
Salmon

Post Sat, Jan 23 2021, 9:15 pm
Stick with the PT or OT until it's absolutely fully resolved. Don't quit too early, and do the exercises religiously.

amother
Smokey

Post Sat, Jan 23 2021, 9:17 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Hip dysplasia doesn't usually resolve on its own, or just with PT - please take care of it asap.

The longer you wait the more extreme measures have to be taken. (This has to happen anyways in extreme cases but taking care of it right away reduces the likelihood) For example a spica cast or surgery is harder to deal with than a harness.

notshanarishona

Post Sat, Jan 23 2021, 9:30 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Lots of therapy. Special pillows. At one point he wore a brace. We almost got a helmet but didn’t in the end.

amother
Blonde

Post Sat, Jan 23 2021, 9:47 pm
Is that the same as dislocated hip?
Because my baby had that. Appointment with orthopedist was done while I was still in the hospital! Got harness when she was 3 days old!!!
Got harness. After one wk dr said it was back in the right place. Kept harness for 5 more weeks after that.
Funny thing is my baby slept thru the night while she had the harness, stopped when we took it off!!! (I guess it stopped her from moving too much!)
Barely noticeable under her stretchie! Just a little bit of a funny position!

amother
Rose

Post Sat, Jan 23 2021, 9:50 pm
We were successful with craniosacral therapy for torticollis and plagiocephaly.

amother
Blonde

Post Sat, Jan 23 2021, 9:51 pm
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
Hip dysplasia doesn't usually resolve on its own, or just with PT - please take care of it asap.

The longer you wait the more extreme measures have to be taken. (This has to happen anyways in extreme cases but taking care of it right away reduces the likelihood) For example a spica cast or surgery is harder to deal with than a harness.

Yes! It was not discovered early enough on my neice and she needed hard cast for a few months!! It was really hard!!! Sad

amother
Navy

Post Sat, Jan 23 2021, 9:55 pm
My son had mild torticollis. Did the exercises as described by pt and pediatrician and it resolved. Also make sure not to put your baby to sleep in a car seat as the head will lean toward the preferred side all night, rather have him/her sleep flat in a crib.

amother
Aqua

Post Sat, Jan 23 2021, 10:15 pm
My niece had it. She also had a severe tongue tie, which once treated lessened the severity of the other two

shanie5

Post Sat, Jan 23 2021, 10:20 pm
DD had torticullis. Not extreme, but definitely there. Dr. told me it would take care of itself. I took her to a chiropractor who specializes in babies.

amother
Azure

Post Sat, Jan 23 2021, 11:12 pm
My dd had torticolis a few sessions @ the chiropractor help it. She did get PT as well.
Let me know if you're in Monsey and need recommendation for a chiropractor.

real israeli

Post Sat, Jan 23 2021, 11:38 pm
My daughter had both. Discovered at about 4 months. She got the pelvic harness which she wore for a few months. It didn’t seem to bother her - just looked weird. She even figured out how to crawl with it! (Not up steps but we finished soon after she started trying) pt for the Torticollis. Both are completely resolved bh

amother
Rose

Post Sat, Jan 23 2021, 11:53 pm
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
My niece had it. She also had a severe tongue tie, which once treated lessened the severity of the other two

It's very interesting. I once saw I diagram of muscles in the body. Those muscles are directly connected so if there's pulling by the tongue, causes tightness in the neck and down to the hip.

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 12:15 am
My daughter had severe torticollis. She had lots of ot, feeding and di therapy for it. It affected her eating and using that side of the body. I also was extremely makpid not to let her spend time in her car seat since it makes it that much worse. The exercises from the therapist and dr really helped!! U would never know today! Good luck!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics