Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
US job working from home and aliyah

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 23 2021, 10:01 pm
My brother is a CPA and moved to Israel and luckily he was just hired for a US company for a fully remote job.

I'm not a CPA, so it will be harder for me and my husband when it comes to finding jobs in Israel. He is a teacher, I worked in a hospital as a dietitian assistant and have a lot of office experience, but not really a career that pays well anywhere. So what are my options when it comes to finding remote jobs? I'd be VERY lucky to find one because I'm excited to move to Israel but also scared to move without a job for at least one of us (we're moving with kids). Did anyone here manage to find a remote job and continue with it once you moved to Israel?

Currently I'm looking at easy data entry work at home jobs, they don't pay much but it's something. Any suggestions? Thank you!

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 12:38 am
Now is a great time to consider working remotely. I know a few women in Israel who teach limudei kodesh in schools abroad. I assume dieticians can do consultations over Zoom as well.

I'm in a completely different field, so I can't offer much practical help, sorry.

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 1:36 am
We just made aliyah with my husband working remotely, and BH I am very grateful for this opportunity. I just want to point out that depending on the job, working American hours in Israel can be extremely stressful and difficult. My DH is strongly considering finding something here because it is so hard and disruptive living on both time zones. Obviously, the terms of the job can make all of the difference.

DrMom

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 1:46 am
Have you ruled out the possibility of finding a job in Israel ahead of your arrival?

Many people apply for jobs and interview while on a pilot trip.

Rappel

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 1:59 am
I don't have any job suggestions right now, but know:

OP, you've got a good head on your shoulders Smile you're right that it would be best for one of you, at least, to have a steady job while the other is looking, and then you can switch off.

If it's just the two of you, then you would live very comfortably through the next few years, and with a couple young kids, on a full time job of 45 shekels an hour, which translates right now to roughly $14/hr.

So you can make that your minimum goal number, net, for any job.

Like a poster above said: know if you can handle the hours. A 9-5 job in the States will be a 3-11 pm job here. If you're working in customer service or something similar, bear in mind that you're going to be working on American hours.

And hatzlacha! Tell us when you're landing, so we can help you with anything you need!

Rappel

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 2:01 am
DrMom wrote:
Have you ruled out the possibility of finding a job in Israel ahead of your arrival?

Many people apply for jobs and interview while on a pilot trip.

Really? I've found that unless you're in a highly sought-after profession (engineer?), You're politely looked over until you actually cross the border. No company I've ever met has been willing to hold a job while an Oleh is still sorting out their paperwork.

amother
Magenta

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 2:18 am
If your dh can teach English, he can find a job in most places. He will need to get his degree/diploma recognized and may need to take courses for a year or so, depending on his background.

Starting salary for a high school teacher with a BA and a teaching diploma is 8000 nis a month, including summer of course, for 40 hour/week (each hour is not a full hour, but actually 45 min). The 40 hours only include 24 hrs of actual teaching.

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 2:32 am
Rappel wrote:
Really? I've found that unless you're in a highly sought-after profession (engineer?), You're politely looked over until you actually cross the border. No company I've ever met has been willing to hold a job while an Oleh is still sorting out their paperwork.

I was in hi-tech working in the US for an Israeli company. When on my pilot trip I visited the headquarters in Rosh HaAyin discussing the possibility of working for them in Israel. They were very friendly and positive but would not commit at all. They said first make aliya then come talk to them again.

essie14

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 2:33 am
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
I was in hi-tech working in the US for an Israeli company. When on my pilot trip I visited the headquarters in Rosh HaAyin discussing the possibility of working for them in Israel. They were very friendly and positive but would not commit at all. They said first make aliya then come talk to them again.

I work in hi tech as well and all the companies I've worked for had this policy.

curlyhead

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 5:17 am
Look into being a virtual assistant. You can work with people around the world. I work with many international clients.

LovesHashem

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 5:22 am
Working American hours is not for everyone. Its hard.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions