Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Looking for Moms or Teachers of kids who have a BCBA

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 10:07 pm
What can I say, ABA has gotten some really bad rap, and sometimes for good reason.

I'm trying to help out newer BCBAs to be professional, effective, and communicate better with moms and teachers of kids they service.

If you are a mom who gets ABA services at home, or a teacher with a BCBA in your classroom, can you answer these questions?

It will help me train these novices better, and hopefully give better service altogether.

Moms
1. What are your overall impressions of working with a BCBA in your home?
2. What has been most helpful? What has been least helpful?
3. What has been your priority/goal with parent training services from your BCBA?

Teachers/Principals
1. What is the biggest concern teachers have with BCBAs in their classroom?
2. What do teachers see as a strength of BCBAs? A weakness?
3. What are your overall impressions of working with a BCBA as part of your student's educational team?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 10:08 pm
Seriously not sure which forum this is for..

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 10:58 pm
I don't think you're going to get much response because your question is asking for a long investment of time. Too much detail asked.

I jhave a BCBA for my child. I couldn't be happier. She's extremely devoted and focused on my child's success. Child is thriving bh.

boysrock

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 11:19 pm
I work in a school, many of my students get services at home you can pm me with specific questions

#BestBubby

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 12:00 am
I believe the degree means less than the individual.

There are good BCBAs and Bad ones.

Ask for references.

Try to find a BCBA who has had success remediating your child's specific issues.

amother
Violet

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 7:35 am
I have 30 hours a week.
I like it but I absolutely hate having someone in my home all the time.

STMommy

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 8:46 am
I'll just say quickly that a school-based BCBA has to write reports and speak in jargon-free language and NOT be too clinical even though behavior analysis is very technical. Always remember you work in a school not a clinic. be collaborative. suggest interventions that don't need a BCBA to implement. Don't have unreasonable expectations for data collection.

Achava

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 8:53 am
I’m not a BCBA I’m a BT. And what I hear from parents is that they don’t understand the bcba approach but they often like how I connect with their children (if it’s good pair). It’s not just bcbas- it’s poor bt training. Poor bcba oversight. Too many caseload. Parents don’t want to do parent training or vice versa. And I hate to say it but. A lot of bcba’s go by the book of what they learned and it’s great. But a lot are not parents. And at the end of the day don’t understand what it means when they leave that session what that means. At least in my area and in my experience that’s the feedback I get from parents.

Achava

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 8:54 am
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
I have 30 hours a week.
I like it but I absolutely hate having someone in my home all the time.

Can you explain more . Because of boundaries ? Do you feel the BT is not a good fit .

TwinsMommy

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 3:05 am
Moms
1. What are your overall impressions of working with a BCBA in your home?
2. What has been most helpful? What has been least helpful?
3. What has been your priority/goal with parent training services from your BCBA?

I'm a mom who had MANY years of ABA for my (currently) 14 year old twins-- both have autism.

1) The BCBA herself was usually great (we had a few over the years)--- well trained, helpful, professional, and great with the kids when she worked directly with them while training and supervising the rbts.

2) Most helpful was when the BCBA would come---- obviously she couldn't be here all the time-- that was the rbts job---- but she was always more trained, helpful, and professional than the rbts. Least helpful were suggestions that were absolutely impossible to implement given the makeup of our family and the personalities of us as parents. My husband and I parent VERY differently and even when I thought a suggestion was hooey I was willing to give it a try even when it was difficult. I love my husband dearly, but he wasn't.

3) I was very impressed with the parent training program which became more and more focused as the years went on and we ended up with binders with examples and we watched videos with the BCBA, etc.

I will note three things that were absolutely TERRIBLE for us. Hopefully this is helpful

One was turnover. Over the course of 6 years for just ONE of the twins we had no fewer than 13 rbts. THIRTEEN. MOST OF THE TIME the company hired people for whom this was their second or third job. They took their main job most seriously and whenever they got married, moved away, got sick, went out of town, had a headache, had a hangnail----- we were without services that day--- usually with LAST MINUTE NOTICE. TWICE--- TWICE---- rbts MOVED OUT OF STATE WITHOUT TELLING US OR SAYING GOODBYE--- the company just introduced us to new people and told us why the old people weren't coming back. They tried in the end to hire people for us whose FULL TIME JOB was with their company but with those people we had another problem.....

HIPPA violations. No fewer than FOUR PEOPLE who spent time with our children told their families specific incidents that happened with our children in our home. So much so that if we ever do ABA again it will NEVER again be with this company and certainly never with anyone who lives in our community/ neighborhood. I even have reason to believe that the father in law of the head of the company--- the clinical director---- knows things that have happened while my kids used this company.

Here was a fun incident--- I was in the hospital having emergency surgery---- my kids thought I'd be home for Shabbos. It was a Thursday at 6:00. My husband, right at 6:00 when ABA was ending, was on the phone and said something about me not being home for Shabbos-- I guess he didn't realize the kids were coming downstairs just yet. My kids went BALLISTIC and started losing it. Double autism meltdown full on..... screaming, crying, they were punching and biting and kicking him. The two rbts who were scheduled to leave at 6:00..... LEFT. They didn't help calm them down, they didn't talk to my husband about it..... They simply talked to each other in my driveway about how badly my husband was handling the situation instead of staying to help. Any human being with an ounce of love for a family should stay for ten extra minutes to help in an emergency situation and not discuss the situation in the driveway while the parent struggles.

The truth is, I'm not at all against ABA and I would love to find a company to work with our family again but insurance no longer wants to pay because they paid for so long. So we'd have to find a waiver certified company which is currently impossible to find for 14 year olds. But in the end our experience with this company went from ok to REALLLLY REALLY bad over time.

amother
Burgundy

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 7:28 am
ABA was amazing for my 3 year old! He started following classroom rules, and had less meltdowns. I had a psychologist do ABA therapy for twice a week and it made such a difference that no one can guess HFA nowadays.

imasinger

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 8:22 am
I've been debating responding for a while.

We've gotten ABA for years. At times, it was helpful. More often, it was not. If I had to do it over again, I would not have relied on the public school's ABA for so long. Their staff was spread way too thin.

The biggest successes came from when we worked with top notch people. Unfortunately, due to our circumstances, we didn't get the years of work with those people that could have really made a bigger difference, but spending time training with the best really helped me to help DS.

The biggest problems we've faced have been:

- poor therapist training/supervision,
- not enough hours for the programs to work,
- high turnover), gaps in service when therapists quit or were let go, and
- poorly written programs that were not adjusted properly when it became clear they were ineffective.

Parent training, when properly done, is extremely helpful. The best would meet with me every week or two, and review progress, listen, advise.

My DD is a terrific BCBA, so I've seen some of the best that can come out of ABA. And I've also heard of some of the worst. B"H, we never had any true horror stories; the worst we personally faced was when DS was 2, a BCBA that scared him by repeatedly getting up close in his face before he got to trust her, and a therapist that brought a very non therapeutic light up and music toy to use as a reward. Most of the time, we just dealt with too little time to reach goals, and no meaningful change.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics