Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Changing last name a long time after marriage help

m987

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 9:27 am
I would like to change my last name legally to my husband's last name and I am wondering if anyone has done this. I have a New York marriage license but did not select to change my last name then because I had just renewed my passport with my maiden name. (I wish I had just done it then before I had college degrees and a lot more things to change over).
I am slightly confused about how I would do the name change in the first place as in where do I go and how to I contact the correct office and make an appointment.
Another question I have is once I do end up changing my name, do I need to change everything at once such as passports....
Thank you!

singleagain

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 9:32 am
If memory serves you do not need to change everything right away

Examples your passport you don't have to but if you buy a ticket make sure that you buy it on the name on your passport.

I think you just need to take your marriage license along with all your other forms of ID when you go to renew things

You have to go to the social security office for that The DMV for your license banks for your credit cards etc etc

I don't think there's a one-stop shop fits all

paperflowers

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 9:43 am
When I got married I was told I had to select to change my name or we would need to get married again (get a new marriage license I assume). For similar reasons to you I never changed my name on any paperwork including passport, health insurance, credit cards etc, but I could whenever I get around to it because it’s on my marriage license.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries