Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Flu vaccine!
Previous  1  2

amother
Jetblack

Post Sat, Jan 23 2021, 11:07 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Where I live there are no precautions unless someone wants to wear a mask and yet I wasn’t offered the flu vaccine which in past years was offered more then once.

Where in the tri state area do you live, that no one is taking precautions? My kids schools (one in Nassau county, one in far Rockaway, and one in Brooklyn) are all strongly recommending flu shots. I don’t generally give it so my pediatricians didn’t ask me about it, but when I spoke to them after the schools recommended it, they said they recommended it too, but wouldn’t force it.

amother
Smokey

Post Sat, Jan 23 2021, 11:37 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
No I’m feeling more and more like everything is being blamed on covid!!
Heart attacks
Strokes
Infections
So many of these have been mistreated cause it must be covid. Suddenly flu is nothing cause there is covid my question is if half the people would take flu tests would it be positive??

Not davka

As per our pediatrician they only had 3 positive flu tests in a very busy health center (out of many many tests)

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 7:37 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Actually most people I associate with weren’t offered it I asked a few of my friends that are pregnant and said it wasn’t offered like previous years.

What's the "actually "??
your saying it wasn't offered to most people you associate with and I'm telling you I have the opposite experience.

Also as someone mentioned upthread the schools that require it every year are still requiring it

GetReal

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 7:48 am
My doctor and my kids pediatrician and dhs doctor offered it.

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 7:58 am
My ob and the kids pediatrician totally offered and encouraged it.

I think a lot of the covid measures are keeping transmission.

True story: last year flu flew through my classroom because kids refused to admit they weren’t feeling well since they didn’t want to miss school, so they spread it around the whole class. This year they wouldn’t be allowed into school like that.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 8:01 am
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:
My ob and the kids pediatrician totally offered and encouraged it.

I think a lot of the covid measures are keeping transmission.

True story: last year flu flew through my classroom because kids refused to admit they weren’t feeling well since they didn’t want to miss school, so they spread it around the whole class. This year they wouldn’t be allowed into school like that.

Last year the flu was so bad already in November. But where I live the schools are going on normal thete are no precautions and no flu either there’s strep and croup terrible

Pamela

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 9:07 am
DH and I took the flu shot. Still plan on giving it to the kids

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 9:31 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Last year the flu was so bad already in November. But where I live the schools are going on normal thete are no precautions and no flu either there’s strep and croup terrible

If your schools also aren't full of covid cases then what's your question exactly?

HonesttoGod

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 9:35 am
Just btw not every year is a “terrible flu year” there have been years with mild cases and years with crazy cases.

The two reasons my dr said flu could be down is a) covid is the “strong” virus. B) people aren’t testing / going to the dr for just a minor flu. Only if it’s covid symptoms.

My theory is also that even some precautions are enough to keep the cases lower

With that said, we were told about flu vaccine in October and took it then as we do every year. All my drs and kids dr told us about it.

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 10:13 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Theory is that because the general “world” is doing precautions the flu is barely being transmitted.

Strep, croup and you forgot about chicken pox...

Amarante

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 10:31 am
Flu shots were highly recommended. Where I am flu shots and other shots are generally dispensed by pharmacies rather than by my PCP because the pharmacies have the storage capability and would have more people coming in for shots versus a single doctor.

This is probably not true for a pediatric practice since childhood shots are such a large part of a practice whereas adults don't generally get shots as part of their normal checkups.

Flu shots were recommended because there would have been a double whammy of someone getting COVID plus the flu.

Of course anecdotally, many of my friends are reporting less URI because we all wear masks and therefore aren't exposed to cold and flu germs.

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 10:39 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Are parents still just dosing kids with Tylenol and sending them to school? Last year this was common. This year not at all.

dankbar

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 2:01 pm
Dr told me flu is non-existent this year, because it works on same receptors as Covid in body. In busy urgent care center, not a single flu case. Now covid & flu test swabs are combined & test for both at same time

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 2:08 pm
dankbar wrote:
Dr told me flu is non-existent this year, because it works on same receptors as Covid in body. In busy urgent care center, not a single flu case. Now covid & flu test swabs are combined & test for both at same time

So anyone testing positive can mean flu and not covid but yet have to Quarantine it all just doesn’t make sense

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 2:09 pm
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:
Are parents still just dosing kids with Tylenol and sending them to school? Last year this was common. This year not at all.

I’m sure they are, but not as frequently. Also, teachers are much more alert now, and rather than keeping an obviously medicated child in school, many will send the child home. Despite what parents think, it’s usually quite obvious when a child has been given medication before going to school.

GetReal

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 2:17 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So anyone testing positive can mean flu and not covid but yet have to Quarantine it all just doesn’t make sense

No the test says which one it is.

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 2:21 pm
dankbar wrote:

Uh, that doesn’t sound scientifically right...

eschaya

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 3:29 pm
Flu shots are being highly recommended in my area. I got the flu shot as did all my kids. The local schools are now not only recommending, but mandating flu shots (except in the very rare case of a medical exemption). Because our schools are very strict re covid, if someone gets the flu, their symptoms will appear very much like possible covid, and that will lead to the kid (and all family members, and possibly close class contacts) quarantining until test results come back, so if we minimize flu, then we minimize unnecessary quarantines and covid testing, which is a pain.

A bit of scientific clarification here:
Yes, a single swab can be used to test for many, many diseases. When we swab in the hospital we can run a full viral panel; the results will come back in a list and tell you all the negatives and all the positives (ie: negative for flu A, negative for flu B, positive for covid-19, negative for a whole assortment of other coronaviruses, etc).
The flu does NOT "work on the same receptors as covid in the body". I don't even know what this means. Covid and influenza are viruses. They, like all viruses, enter your cells to use your dna replication process to replicate more copies of themselves. Every virus enters your cells through different mechanisms. The spike protein on the covid virus helps it enter your cells better.
Yes, cases of the flu are dramatically lower this year. Likely because people are wearing masks and distancing (at least in areas outside of frum NY/NJ). We still do test (at least in the hospital) for people who come in with flu concerning symptoms. I do agree that there is probably less testing of flu in pediatric offices.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 3:31 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

You don't understand a thing but you keep saying nonsense. Sorry, no other way to say this. You're ignoring all the actual information people are sharing and just keep spouting your opinion, which is based on... Nothing.

Amarante

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 3:34 pm
dankbar wrote:

Are you sure this is what the doctor said because it is completely inaccurate.

Frankly, if a doctor gave me this kind of misinformation which is easily checked, I would see another doctor because I would have no faith in relying on any other medical advice he handed out.

If flu is down - as others have posted - it is because people are masking and are socially distancing. Masks are highly effective against flu virus as well as Covid.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics