Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Can you catch the UK strain if you had the normal one?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 1:18 pm
?

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 1:26 pm
Yes I've had both Sad
Pretty sure I had the original virus before pesach, before they were testing. I had all symptoms..

I just had a positive test after being unwell with symptoms. I didn't have the cough this time. This time I lost my smell/taste much worse than in March.

invisiblecircus

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 2:20 pm
Navy, are sure it's the new UK variant you've got?

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 2:25 pm
invisiblecircus wrote:
Navy, are sure it's the new UK variant you've got?

Who knows. I live in the UK so probably. I didn't have the cough this time, otherwise it was pretty similar to in march. I had it 2/3 weeks ago. Still tired, no taste or smell yet but bh I think I'm ok now.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 2:27 pm
Yes! You can even get the same strain again! I work in healthcare with covid patients and people are getting all sorts of strains and the same one a second time now. It’s very scary because we truly don’t know if the vaccine will help.

DrMom

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 2:32 pm
If you can get the same strain twice (antibodies last 3-6 months after you get sick), then kal v'chomer, you can get two different strains.

Success10

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 2:44 pm
I'm wondering (and maybe OP is wondering) if the original strain offers any protection against the new strain? Even 3 months worth? Even 1 month?

Elfrida

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 3:09 pm
Success10 wrote:
I'm wondering (and maybe OP is wondering) if the original strain offers any protection against the new strain? Even 3 months worth? Even 1 month?

In don't think necessarily complete immunity, but it means we have got past the stage of complete naivety that we were in last year. The new strains have a lot in common with the original strains. Even if they can attack us from a fresh angle our body had some idea how to approach it, and hopefully that can help us (for people who have already had it). It's not like we are being hit with something completely foreign any more.

Amarante

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 4:28 pm
Really no one can conclusively say.

I have read that people might have relapses - I.e. they get Covid and then are asymptomatic for awhile and then come down with symptoms which are sometimes worse than the original.

summer0808

Post Thu, Feb 04 2021, 1:46 pm
If people can get different strains and the vaccine doesnt work, what is the point of SD, masks, quarantine etc? we are not getting rid of this? Are we going to live like this forever?

amother
Khaki

Post Fri, Feb 05 2021, 2:13 am
I know a family who had it besides 2kids then the family was in uk and only the 2members who weren't sick got the British strain. ... so there is a period of protection! Btw that happened before the British strain was already a thing. ...

amother
Babypink

Post Fri, Feb 05 2021, 2:16 am
There was just a story in Israel were someone tested positive for covid in august and tested again with the South African strain after traveling there. So that was like 5 months later.

amother
Tangerine

Post Fri, Feb 05 2021, 5:46 am
https://www.biorxiv.org/conten......full

I saw this, it is not yet peer reviewed and I don't completely understand it, but maybe someone more in medical or research will understand better.

I had read that Obama had nixed a lot of this type of research because of the risks of leaks and other stuff but Fauci went "off the books" and kept such types going.

But it says iiuc, yes, it is possible, bottom line.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Feb 05 2021, 6:29 am
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
There was just a story in Israel were someone tested positive for covid in august and tested again with the South African strain after traveling there. So that was like 5 months later.

He didn't get sick. The test was only done because of his travel. That's a very important distinction that shows immunity is working. The test is just looking for evidence of pieces of SARS-CoV-2 and is no indication of actually coming down with the illness commonly referred to as covid that could happen from it. So he was exposed to the virus and had some in his nasal passages, but his immune system kicked in due to antibodies and cell memory and prevented the sickness.

The data so far shows that for most people who had a previous strain of this coronavirus, their immune system is handling the other strains that are genetically almost identical fairly well. Even more so, those who have immunity from the SARS outbreak many years ago with a different coronavirus are faring better in this pandemic, even though genetically the coronavirus is not as close as the mutations we have now.

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Feb 05 2021, 6:37 am
It really depends on your individual immune system. Some people have a very strong antibody reaction, and some have hardly any at all. Then you figure in autoimmune diseases, and it's not that simple.

Having antibodies might help in some, or even most cases, but I don't think it's anything to depend on 100%.

If someone said "I have antibodies!" and then breathed on me, I would NOT be happy about it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics