Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Frum shul in Massachusetts

mommymama

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 8:37 am
Hi! My husband and I are considering going to graduate school in Cambridge and we are looking for a Yeshivish shul in MA for me and my husband to move to before we commit. Thank you!

Last edited by mommymama on Sat, Jan 23 2021, 2:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Peach

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 8:41 am
balaboosta wrote:
Hi! My husband and I are considering going to graduate school in Cambridge and we are looking for a frum shul (Yeshivish, not Modern Orthodox) in MA for me and my husband to move to before we commit. Thank you!

You should change the title before you get slammed. MO is frum. You’re looking for a yeshivish shul .

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 8:42 am
hatzlocha Op!

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 9:10 am
Check out Brighton. I don’t know of one in Cambridge but there might be.

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 9:14 am
Cambridge is expensive and there isn’t a yeshivish community. Look into Brighton or if you drive, malden.

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 9:25 am
amother [ Peach ] wrote:
You should change the title before you get slammed. MO is frum. You’re looking for a yeshivish shul .

She didn't say MO isn't frum, she said they're looking for a yeshivish shul, not an MO. This doesn't imply that MO isn't frum.

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 9:29 am
amother [ Peach ] wrote:

I assume she's looking for an orthodox shul, and she specifies further that she wants yeshivish. There would be no need to specify further if she thought MO wasn't frum.

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 9:38 am
She defined frum in parentheses as yeshivish, not MO. So yes, it seems that she's equating frum with yeshivish, but not MO. It could be that she can't communicate very well in writing, but if more than one reader thought she was using frum to exclude MO, she really ought to change the title of the thread. There's nothing offensive in looking for a yeshivish shul. There's something very offensive in using "frum" to exclude Modern Orthodox Jews.

yads

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 9:41 am
Feel free to pm me, we live in Brighton, MA and there’s a nice Yeshivish crowd here

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 9:42 am
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:
She defined frum in parentheses as yeshivish, not MO. So yes, it seems that she's equating frum with yeshivish, but not MO. It could be that she can't communicate very well in writing, but if more than one reader thought she was using frum to exclude MO, she really ought to change the title of the thread. There's nothing offensive in looking for a yeshivish shul. There's something very offensive in using "frum" to exclude Modern Orthodox Jews.

No, she did not define that frum is yeshivish. She said they're looking for a frum shul but yeshivish and not MO. This doesn't mean MO isn't frum, they're just not looking for an MO shul.
Some posters look for offense in every post.

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 9:42 am
There’s a Kollel and a pretty yeshivish shul in Brighton. Plus there’s the bostoner rebbe

imasinger

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 9:50 am
The shuls in Cambridge itself are not yeshivish. But in nearby Brighton, just across the river, you'd have a choice of several.

You might want to reach out to the Boston kollel or the local schools (Torah Academy for younger kids) for more information. Or just Google. Chai Odom, the Kollel, Khal Tiferes Yosef are all wonderful, and up your alley. There are lots of others of different flavors -- Chabad or other chassidish, Sefardi, MO -- but that's not what you're looking for.

Feel free to pm me with more questions about Boston, I'm happy to help.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 9:53 am
Brighton. KTY, Kollel and Chai Odom. Most young couples in school gravitate towards KTY or KTY/Kollel. We used to have a TON of married grad students living in Brighton while at Harvard etc - less so now with Covid as many classes went online so less people actually moving here for physical school. It's generally a very warm (and somewhat eclectic) community. There's a shabbos park which is great.

Everything is kind of ech now due to Covid, especially in the winter (can't really do outdoor kiddushes here in January!) but I hope in a few months this will soon change!

doctorima

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 10:26 am
Your best bet would Khal Tiferes Yosef, led by Rabbi Halpern. It's the most popular and growing right-wing shul, especially among younger families. Other options would be the Boston Kollel and Chai Odom (an OOT Agudah-style shul). They are all within walking distance of one another, so look at them on Google Maps and try to find housing (not cheap!) that's central to all 3, and you should be set.

mommymama

Post Sat, Jan 23 2021, 2:21 pm
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:

Didn't mean any offense, was just trying to be as specific as possible. So sorry!

mommymama

Post Sat, Jan 23 2021, 2:22 pm
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:
No, she did not define that frum is yeshivish. She said they're looking for a frum shul but yeshivish and not MO. This doesn't mean MO isn't frum, they're just not looking for an MO shul.
Some posters look for offense in every post.

Trying very hard not to offend anyone, I thought this was a benign post Sad Confused

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 8:46 pm
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:
Cambridge is expensive and there isn’t a yeshivish community. Look into Brighton or if you drive, malden.

Cambridge prices is the same as Brighton.

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 8:51 pm
balaboosta wrote:
Trying very hard not to offend anyone, I thought this was a benign post Sad Confused

It was. Don’t worry. Stick by what you said don’t let people bully you.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating